Create a Walk Cycle in Carrara: new product by mmoir

Comments

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202

Going in the basket on payday.

• atticanneatticanne Posts: 3,009

Added to my wishlist.

• MiloMilo Posts: 511

added to my to buy list when the month rolls around!

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147

they took my comment down

guess you can't tell the truth

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247

they took my comment down

guess you can't tell the truth

Just as well I deleted my own post, then:) 

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964

and my response to your's bigh was also 1984'd, as will all evidence that this conversation we are having now will also be re-assigned ;) 

the daz forum is like a particular second hand book shop 

Mr. Charrington is an old widower with a cockney accent who keeps a secondhand store in the Prole district. He sells Winston the journal he starts in Book One, and rents out the room atop that same store to Winston and Julia in Book Two. Kind and amiable, Mr. Charrington shares Winston’s interest in the past, and chats with him about antiques and other remnants. Mr. Charrington shares with Winston his knowledge about certain items, but never asks any questions.

Now where is Mike Moir to talk up his tutorial??

• RuphussRuphuss Posts: 2,631

damn those walk cycles look bad

I think its great, putting a tutorial on how to do it, covering the major topics I have seen discussed, showing how its done, for those who don't like it, don't buy it.  Its an instructional video series.    From these basics then you can get into other methodologies in making it look different, better.  I have some animation series ones that cover that but this is Carrara specific now that will allow tieing those together.  Kudos for this product!

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    Ruphuss said:

damn those walk cycles look bad

I through they looked ok myself

• mmoirmmoir Posts: 821
    head wax said:

Now where is Mike Moir to talk up his tutorial??

HeadWax,  I don't really like doing that "talking up a product" .  I will say when doing a video tutorial you really try to be concious of time, you don't want the video to be huge in size.  For me there is a direct relationship between the time spent and the quality of the output when it comes to animation. With that said I think the walk cycles are fine but look a little rough because they were produced under a time constraint of a tutorial, I didn't spend time fixing everything just for the sample video.

I recently figured out how to correct some things when it came to doing walk cycles so I thought I would create the product to help people out . I really want to try and get people creating their own animations which includes walk cycles which is why I created the product .

Mike

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

NIce product Mike :)

Animating can seem complex and even intimidating to most people approaching it for the first time ,. ,. so I think it helps to see the process done in real time,. and by folowing that, to realise that  doesn't take too longi and t's a bunch of skill's worth learning,,. especially when you use things like Puppeteer to record and apply poses in the timeline.

really nice tutorial movies, full of nice carrara tips

and thanks to Eadweard Muybridge :)

edited January 2016

ok if you say its a walk for people with a stiff spine ok

like the old man walk then its all fine

theres another walk cycle for females in the shop that really looks weird

https://www.daz3d.com/walk-cycle-for-genesis-2-female-s

i just would like to see a normal walk cycle thats nothing special but normal

cannot find one

and tried alot myself and know how difficult it is

best is the product from skamotion but thats catwalk style not normal

and skamotion's is not mocaped but

ah forgot the term when you have references in the scene

its done in poser

the old problem with carrara and daz is we cant keep the feet on the ground like we like to have

perhaps you can make an advanced tut with other walk style ?

Post edited by Ruphuss on
  • ScarecrowScarecrow Posts: 169
    edited January 2016

I bought it right away and have to say I am a happy customer. It gave me all the information I was missing, what goes up? What goes down? And when? It's not even about the results that are produced in the video, it does what a tutorial should do, which is give you information. So now for me, it feels like an easy thing to create MY OWN walk cycle for any character, where as before this tutorial I was not quite sure. Thanks Mike

I'd also be interested in learning about 4 legged walk cycles, for things like BEO Quad or daz big cat2

Post edited by Scarecrow on
  • Hi to All, its been awhile since I made a contribution to the Carrara forum, but feel compel to do so now. I just purchase the walk cycle loop tutorial and do admit it does not look like a mocap or natural flowing walk form, but this is my second tutorial I purchase from mmoir and have learn so much from the tutorial that what was advertised. For that reason and the fact that I am not comfortable with both the NLA and the Graphic editor in Carrara. I believe that Carrara is the right solution for most of my 3D animation. Minus the fact that there are bugs that I hope DAZ will fix soon, as they have been overstated on the forum. 

On a different note, earlier this month I purchased Octane render for Carrara and I am once again energized with Carrara. Yes, Octane is a costly investment for many including myself as I live in Trinidad and Tobago, and $1.00US cost me $6.40TT. Over the years I have spent thousands of dollars in DAZ and Carrara products and have found that training products have been my best investment. 

I do hope that those who have the skill, see the power and potential in Carrara continues to support it and continues to develop products that shifts the paradigm... as Carrara has done for me.

Ruphuss. just remember he isn't selling a walk cycle he is selling a tutorial on the techinques to creating your own walk cycles or other animations  yourself  and all the little steps that are needed and tying that all together.  Its like taking a painting class they are showing you techniques to use to create your own paintings.

Ruphuss said:

Ruphuss said:

i just would like to see a normal walk cycle thats nothing special but normal

cannot find one

and tried alot myself and know how difficult it is

best is the product from skamotion but thats catwalk style not normal

and skamotion's is not mocaped but

ah forgot the term when you have references in the scene

its done in poser

the old problem with carrara and daz is we cant keep the feet on the ground like we like to have

perhaps you can make an advanced tut with other walk style ?

Ruphuss,

It is nice to know you are interested in creating walk cycles? Here is a link to a bunch of walk cycles I did a couple of years ago, ignore the first 3 walks as they are "robot walks" but the last ones are more normal.  I have NLA clips of these walk cycles somewhere and I uploaded these and gave links here at Daz for people to use them if they wanted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riF0SGX4cwo

One of the things I found out recently was how to fix the feet from sliding, in the videos you should notice the feet don't slip on any of the characters. This was one of the points I make in the Video tutorial, how to keep the feet from sliding. I will try and find the link to the NLA clips and repost it.

Mike

Ruphuss,

Here is a link to the NLA clips I created a couple of years ago, they work in C8.5 with the Genesis figure, these NLA clips are the ones shown in the youtube  video I just posted above.. Try them out and  see how they work for you.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/veh0i1lkdpt6lh5/WalkCyclesMMOIR.zip?dl=0

Mike

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964

mmoir, sorry 'talk up' was a bad choice of lingo, my apologies

• I just bought this tutorial recently and have finished making my own walk cycle clip.  It was great to see someone work through this, especially since I didn't understand how to use the graph editor or NLA.  I even could improvise a bit to make it look better.  All my previous animation attempts glided around, but this one finally walks!  Thanks, Mike for providing this great resource.

I am currently working on this series of videos and they are good.

I will have to post an animation when done.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326

yes Two thumbs, all the way UP!!! yes

can you use mcasuals scripts in Carrara ?

• Ruphuss said:

can you use mcasuals scripts in Carrara ?

Definitely not. They are specifically for Studio

• rk66rk66 Posts: 438
    edited February 2016
    Post edited by rk66 on
  • RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247

I doubt this still works - was written for Blender 2.60 - we are now at 2.76, with 2.77 due in a couple of weeks and there have been vast changes since 2.60 

edited February 2016

Here is are GIF's of the walk cycle i have been working on. I have completed the first 3 videos.

Just wanted to show some progress on this.

I realize there are some things that are not quite right yet but it is a work in progress.

They are of the same walk cycle just a side and then a front view.

GIF's don't seem to work so I will solve it tomorrow.

Post edited by chickenman on