Gamma Lighting C8.5 Hair - and G2M in a temple with a sword

In doing some tests of trying to create body hair, I ran into some lighting issues I thought were worth reporting.  Checking gamma correction and setting it to 2.2 seems to wash out the hair color.  Otherwise, two render settings are identical.

And for your cliche entertainment, here is G2M in a temple with a sword.  surprise

hair prob 1.jpg
800 x 600 - 54K
hair prob 2.jpg
800 x 600 - 39K

Comments

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202

Not just his chest hair but look at his head as well.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964

yep, happens in 8.1 as well

you can do a render pass of primitives to isolate the hair and so render without gamma and with and use the primitif pass to isolate the hair in post

from memory I think this works okay

• MiloMilo Posts: 511

is the hair a texture or a formula / color?  it could be that there is already a gamma applied to the hair perhaps and could be de-gamma'd if I remember some reading I did about linear workflow for gamma.  Perhaps Carrara is assuming the texture for the hair is gamma 1 when you turn on Gamma.  I will have to try this later when I have some time.

• IKtorIKtor Posts: 44

Gamma settings are not any light as people presume a lot.And will not happen any magic increase to 2.2 if the set of lights we are using are extremely bad at begin.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050

This is a known issue. If you must use gamma correction then render a volume primitive pass, which will give a black and white layer and a color layer. These two would be composited with your image using the multiply blend mode.

There are some other settings where hair doesn't look quite right as well, such as when it is used with the DOF and I seem to recall the light cone. The volume primitive pass can help with those as well.