Is something missing?

LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,440
edited September 2012 in The Commons

Two things:

1) Thread & post deletion.

It's happened to me a few times. I've observed it happening to others here at DAZ forums.

Finally, the world has taken notice of the general issue and it's not as black & white as forum moderators would have you believe.
http://redtape.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/09/04/13591835-pouring-gas-on-a-fire-firms-deletion-of-online-critiques-draws-censorship-cries?lite

Quick, somebody grab a screen shot of this post! 8-o

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

2) I'm still waiting (not so patiently) for the ability to sort and search my huge "Itemized Order History" and "Recent Orders" lists. And please, give us some sort of a link from the purchased item list entry back to the original catalog page. Grrrr.

Edited to add:
And it would be constructive to re-implement the "Last edited" date stamp on each post so we can see if people change their posts it to try to obscure reality after someone comments on what was said or implied.

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on

Comments

• booksbydavidbooksbydavid Posts: 429
    edited December 1969

Two things:

1) Thread & post deletion.

It's happened to me a few times. I've observed it happening to others here at DAZ forums.

Finally, the world has taken notice of the general issue and it's not as black & white as forum moderators would have you believe.
    http://redtape.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/09/04/13591835-pouring-gas-on-a-fire-firms-deletion-of-online-critiques-draws-censorship-cries?lite

Quick, somebody grab a screen shot of this post! 8-o

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

2) I'm still waiting (not so patiently) for the ability to sort and search my huge "Itemized Order History" and "Recent Orders" lists. And please, give us some sort of a link from the purchased item list entry back to the original catalog page. Grrrr.

Edited to add:
    And it would be constructive to re-implement the "Last edited" date stamp on each post so we can see if people change their posts it to try to obscure reality after someone comments on what was said or implied.

Regarding point #1...very interesting. Big Brother is not only watching, he's deleting, too.

Regarding point #2...totally agree.

Consider this screen shot.:lol:

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

BTW, just FYI, DAZ 3D don't delete anything from the forums, It is just moved to a safe place, but it still exists.

And your Postscript, about leaving an edit trail, that is something we would like as well. :coolsmirk:

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,035
    edited December 1969

so if someone posts something naughty, then deletes it, you will know
    like the bare tiitted cyclops lady I just uploaded and removed!

edited December 1969

More for the reason LeatherGryphon said, for us as well as the forum members.

• JasmineSkunkJasmineSkunk Posts: 1,901
    edited December 1969

You know... I find myself feeling really torn about this issue. I am someone who HATES to be censored. I hate it....

...BUT

There have been MANY MANY times when I have recently WISHED the mods would just delete EVERYTHING negative because I'm just so tired of seeing it everywhere...

I think there's a difference between voicing an opinion and just making things miserable for other people.

Where do we draw the line? Allowing a slew of people to "voice their opinions" without any intervention often just results in people behaving like children and calling each other names or the same topic goes around and around forever just arguing on and on or something...

That doesn't make any social meeting place fun for people. People don't want to listen to other people complaining all the time... yet, we do believe ( don't we?) that people have a right to free speech. So, what does that mean, exactly? Free speech? Does it mean we can act like a fool and make other people around us miserable just whenever we feel like it?

I don't know.

As I said, I find myself quite torn on what I believe about this these days.

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,440
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    BTW, just FYI, DAZ 3D don't delete anything from the forums, It is just moved to a safe place, but it still exists.

Just like my money. It doesn't get deleted, it just gets moved to a safe place in my creditor's banks. 8-o

edited December 1969

Yeah, I have money like that as well. Have everything set up on Direct debits, so they all get to have a share before I get any that is left over.

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,164
    edited December 1969

chohole said:

And your Postscript, about leaving an edit trail, that is something we would like as well. :coolsmirk:

i have had comments disappear on the new site.. is that what happen to them they were moved?
    . I mean besides the ones the administrators removed for emotional out burst *giggles*

edited September 2012

disappearing comments we have no control over, Maybe the little green alien had sonething to do with it, he does keep popping in to say hello. He ate two of my posts earlier today.

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

haha!! OH!! So....Heeeee's to blame.

I shoulda known.... he looked way too cute to be completely innocent...lol

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    disappearing comments we have no control over, Maybe the little green alien had sonething to do with it, he does keep popping in to say hello. He ate two of my posts earlier today.

Hmm. I've had the little green guy pop up twice so far tonight when I hit the "post" button, then after the site comes back up a little while later, my post has apparently been... erm... posted. Maybe there was something in your posts (that I don't put in mine) that green critters find particularly tasty...? :smirk:
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

chohole said:

Hmm. I've had the little green guy pop up twice so far tonight when I hit the "post" button, then after the site comes back up a little while later, my post has apparently been... erm... posted. Maybe there was something in your posts (that I don't put in mine) that green critters find particularly tasty...? :smirk:Do not post anything about BLOOD. The little green cute guy ate two of mine about dialysis before he was full.
    edited September 2012

Is he responsible for eating up...and/or clogging up the cart, too??? LOL I am having a strange thing happen with this week's freebie. I tried to put it in, but I wasn't logged in, so I login and it dissappears from my cart, so I try to add it and I get a message that says I can only purchase 1 of the item... but my cart is empty. Reloading doesn't fix it. F5 doesn't fix it. Logging out and in again doesn't fix it. Trying a different browser doesn't fix it.Trying from the sale page doesn't fix it.Trying from the product page doesn't work either...

I'm a little perplexed...LOL

Post edited by JasmineSkunk on
  • patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited September 2012

To get it into your cart, sounds silly I know but ... simply put another product into your cart as well ... then the 2 items show up! Just be sure to remove 'the other one' unless it is something you want to buy.

btw - the little green alien has our order history pages down for maintenance so hopefully something good will happen there.

It's also giving us some free banners "while we wait" ... scroll down the page abit.

Post edited by patience55 on
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the tip, Patience, I will keep it in mind! :)

• DWGDWG Posts: 770
    edited December 1969

There have been MANY MANY times when I have recently WISHED the mods would just delete EVERYTHING negative because I'm just so tired of seeing it everywhere...

I think there's a difference between voicing an opinion and just making things miserable for other people.

This! I've recently started ignoring people who only seem to post in order to attack Studio, often using arguments that have already been addressed time after time. There's plenty of room for personal preference, but when you try to impose that preference on other people, things become unpleasant.

edited December 1969

And hope the little green aliens only bother all the people in your ignore list.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Well - and I am putting people on ignore who show neither understanding nor empathy for others.
    For me that is really negative.
    Isn't it nice we CAN put people on ignore.
    :)

edited December 1969

Sorry, was that aimed at me ? I do apologise if it was, I am only trying to lighten things up, obviously it was a fail :red:

edited December 1969

only time I ever put anyone on ignore was when someone told me off for highjacking HIS thread (that no-one had responded to I might add until I posted)
    so I deleted my comment, said it would not happen again and put him on ignore so it couldn't,
    relented later as I realized it was kind of childish.
    I have been misinterpreted a few times responding to one person another has on ignore and they thought I was replying to them
    there are 3 induviduals in the Carrara forum who from time to time ignore each other and it can get quite comical, learnt to use quote!!!

edited December 1969

DWG said:

This! I've recently started ignoring people who only seem to post in order to attack Studio, often using arguments that have already been addressed time after time. There's plenty of room for personal preference, but when you try to impose that preference on other people, things become unpleasant.

Hello, hello, can anybody hear me???

I put people on ignore temporarily when they get obstinately stupid.

I put people on ignore permanently when they politicize, preach, proselytize or otherwise demonstrate one dimensional thinking.

edited September 2012

Hello? Hello? Hello?

Hmmm... guess I'll have to shorten my ignore list! 8-o

• Velvet GoblinVelvet Goblin Posts: 532
    edited December 1969

Hello? Hello? Hello?

Or possibly get everyone to take you off of theirs... :P

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Sorry, was that aimed at me ? I do apologise if it was, I am only trying to lighten things up, obviously it was a fail :red:

Eh - no! It was a general description of my way to use the ignore list.
    I am obviously neither ignoring you - nor LeatherGryphon.
    Hello back! ;)

edited December 1969

are you ignoring me then? ;-P

edited December 1969

*thinks about it*
    Hmm, as I am reading your message:
    No.
    :lol:

• chrisschellchrisschell Posts: 267
    edited December 1969

I will defend the right of someone to have and voice an opinion... right up till the point that the right to free speech is used as an excuse to belittle, demean or otherwise cause suffering or harm to another person...

Prob is the cyber-bullies and trolls use the excuse of "I have the right to speak my mind" to do exactly that... and then they hide behind free speech and the anonymity of the net to avoid the reprecussions of their actions and they use their 'opinions' simply to run others down... mostly for no real reason...

Just because you have the right to say something or give an opinion doesn't mean that it gives you the right to run roughshod over others... telling someone their work is garbage or other comments we've all seen isn't offering an opinion... it's just being plain mean...

As far as I'm concerned at that point deleting the post isn't censorship... it's perfectly reasonable to say that kind of behavior isn't tollerated...

On a more personal level it's really annoying to be writting a thread and trying to get decent feed-back or help and to have it locked or deleted because the trolls have moved in and caused issues... the OP of a thread shouldn't really be losing their thread because of other peoples actions... unless of course it is a thread that violates TOS or is obviously intended to cause problems... instead the people acting badly should be iggy'd or taken in hand by the mods/admins/ etc (whomever is in charge on any given site)...

Sadly in alot of forums I've seen that exact thing happen... a person starts a thread to gain help/info/feedback etc... the trolls move in and start issues and bang... thread locked... who suffers?.. the OP who now doesn't have the info/feedback he or she was looking for...

edited September 2012

Hello??? Did somebody say something?

No, Wendycatz I've never put you on "Ignore". Which is different than not responding. I don't respond to a lot of people, but not out of malice or anger. I just most of the time have nothing to contribute. Especially when I think they can beat me up.

Then there are times when I drop little turds into the bowl like this:
    http://digitallife.today.com/_news/2012/09/05/13686372-peoples-choice-for-best-cat-video-is-french-existential?lite
    Why am I not surprised it's French? 8-o

edited December 1969

Hello? Hello? Hello?

Or possibly get everyone to take you off of theirs... :P

Hmmm... that would be like trying to get a blackhole to give up a star it swallowed. 8-o

1st passenger: Does this bus stop at Elm St.?
    2nd passenger: Yes it does, just get off the bus one stop before I do.

edited December 1969

1st passenger: Does this bus stop at Elm St.?
    2nd passenger: Yes it does, just get off the bus one stop before I do.

:lol:
    Love it!