Carrara on the iPad (for real)

3DPixLA3DPixLA Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

There is an app in the Apple app store called iTeleport. On sale today so I thought I'd mention it .

On sale is the Mac OS version ($1.99) and an iOS version ($7.98) that allows you to control your Mac or Windows PC remotely over your iPad using an internet connection or wifi.

While these apps will work with any software, I started using them as part of a Carrara workflow.

Here are some things you can do with these apps.

1) Manage your Carrara renderfarm queues remotely from another Mac or an iPad
2) Use your iPad as a primary display using wi-fi (such as a Mac Mini)
3) Use your iPad as a mirror display
3) Work on Carrara projects from your host machine remotely from your iPad

What I like about this software, it is easy to set up and simply uses a Google Gmail account to access your computer (or multiple computers)

There is some non-intuitive pinching and tapping you will need to get used to but now you can actually work on your Carrara projects using your iPad at a Starbucks. On the iPad 3 with retina display, the graphics are really sharp and clear.

If anyone else discovers practical uses for iTeleport with Carrara, please share them here on the thread!

Comments

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

Just so I have this straight, you can access your home computer from the iPad and remotely launch Carrara. From that point you can access Carrara's interface to open scenes, manipulate models, set up renders etc. etc.? I take it there is a minimal hit to the iPad's memory and processor as the program is not loaded on the iPad?

• 3DPixLA3DPixLA Posts: 0
    edited September 2012

How ITeleport works

1) Purchase the iPad or Mac OS App from the Apple Store
    2) Download the free Mac or PC app after purchase (from the link) and install that on your host machine(s)
    3) You can access more than one machine remotely, but only one at a time, the iPad app allows you to choose the machine
    4) Set up your Google account from the app on your host computer
    5) Launch the iPad app and log into your Gmail account and then you can choose your remote computer
    6) For all hosts, they must of course all be on and connected to internet

There is a few seconds latency if you are using it as a mirror display but remotely this does not matter. There seems to be no load demands on the iPad other than what you get watching a webcast or online video. The cursor is your finger on the iPad and the keyboard and mouse gestures require some new learning but its not that hard. It is stable and works as you expect, so far...

That's all, pretty simple? There is a Walt Mossberg WSJ review here

http://allthingsd.com/20110119/the-ipad-now-can-take-command-of-computers/

(There is NO fee other than the app purchase so they must have changed their business model since the review)

JUST ADDED: A reduced resolution screen capture of Carrara on iPad using iTeleport

iTeleport.jpg
    600 x 450 - 61K
    Post edited by 3DPixLA on
    edited December 1969

That sounds really cool. Any problems adding things from the browser?

• Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,259
    edited September 2012

The last time I saw Apple put up something to allow remote access they had absolutely *no* security, iirc they were using an unsecured public DDNS client on the system. Anyone with your ip address could log in as root. I would verify that this isn't exposing your system in a way you didn't anticipate.

Post edited by Joe Cotter on
    edited December 1969

Gedd said:
    The last time I saw Apple put up something to allow remote access they had absolutely *no* security, iirc they were using an unsecured public DDNS client on the system. Anyone with your ip address could log in as root. I would verify that this isn't exposing your system in a way you didn't anticipate.

I agree about the security. However, it's not Apple software, it's a third party solution. If you read the review that was linked to by the OP, Walt Mossberg reviews two pieces of software, and does touch briefly on some very basic security issues. He feels better about the security from the other piece of software than the one the OP chose. I think if I were in the market I would also use the other software, just because it doesn't go through Google, and I have to enter a password to access my own computer.

There are some other caveats discussed in the review about performance that would make me want to wait a revision or two to see how the software matures.

• Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,259
    edited December 1969

Btw, if software can be limited to the local network only, no internet access.. it mitigates (not eliminates) some of the security issues. The real problem is if any system gets compromised to internet control it can work as a conduit to the internal network and anything shared on the internal network is automatically exposed across the internet. Even things that aren't 'shared' can be gotten access to through the local network by a knowledgeable hacker once one system is compromised.