Cg Talk contest? Do you want to enter as a team.

Hey ,

I don't know if you all know or have heard of "CgTalk" before  but there is a small chance they may be starting another contest soon.  Sooo....if any of the carrara users here would be interested in  starting a Carrara team to enter the challenge just post here and let me know.   I found these challenges or contests a great way to improve your 3d skills.  I don't know how the challenge would be run as I think the site is under new owners now but they were great to participate in before.    Feel free to post any of your thoughts on this here if you want.

Mike

Comments

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964

Sorry no time but looks very interesting!

• MiloMilo Posts: 511

That might be interesting and a way of honing up on some skills.  I also have hitfilm pro 4 if we need it

• mmoirmmoir Posts: 821

I don't know when the contest will start or if it will, I am just seeing if there is interest in getting a team together.  Milo , that is why I like doing those type of challenges. 

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

I'd be interested with the usual caveats regarding the specifics (timing, etc.). 

Diomede ,  good to know who is interested.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326

What kind of contest? Do you have any more specifics about what/whom you need?

Dart,  I have no idea what kind of contest it will be. I am just guessing it will be soon, maybe 2 months away. I just thought i would get a feel for who would be interested in joining a carrara team.

What kind of contest? Do you have any more specifics about what/whom you need?

edited February 2016

As usual, TIME is a huge obstacle for me and my participating in extracurricular activities. But I would love to be considered as part of your team.

Modeling in 3D/Rigging is not my strong suit, but I do think it's yours as well as several others here. 

I love lighting, animating, texturing... but also love performing motion special effects and compositing as well as other post production activities - even performing final cut production. So I'll try and remain flexible according to your (the Team's) needs and, hopefully, I'll actually have the time to participate when the time comes.

So when you here of this thing and want to gather your team, if I'm not present in the forums here, just drop me a PM. This sounds FUN!

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
  • I'm in with modeling/texturing and, if needed, compositing, bring it on wink

Kick ass! This is gonna be fun!

edited February 2016

Head-count so far:

mmoir (I hope)

Milo

diomede

Dartanbeck

Fifth Element

chickenman

Did I mis anyone? Can we get more?

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
  • chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202

I will volenteer my limited Skills,

It will force me to watch the tuts again and become more familiar with Carrara.

Awesome! (Added to the above roll-count!)

Dart, I don't think there is a limit or rule as to how many can be on a team so if anyone else wants to join that is okay. Nice to see the interest .   I also know Kixum from renderosity expressed interest too, I will have to check if there was anyone else interested over there.

So we'll have to do something with this team, even if a contest doesn't come up over there... don't you think?

definately need to work on something

I'm experimenting with some really cool aspects about taking the compositing techniques I was using in Carrara, with Howler, and back and forth, and now adding Fusion into the mix. I'm finding a whole new workflow that's making everything much nicer and controllable than ever before. Carrara is the 3D workshop, Fusion is the compositor, while Howler brings out the more painterly artsy side of things, wrapping everything into a beautiful production system.

Carrara is so cool, how easily it works out using spherical maps for reflections and lighting, while not showing it during an alpha pass - and then even offering us the supremely easy methods of creating those maps that we need... it turns into a wonderful workflow that... well... flows! LOL

Looking into modern tools like Substance Painter and others, and seeing how we can already do so much of that sort of thing right within Carrara - albeit not PBR and not quite as immediately visible... but not bad, for sure. I love making materials in Carrara. Putting it all in motion and rendering it out. Having so much fun! Er... Work! LOL

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

I've got a fiends dog to look after for the next three weeks,. otherwise i'd be joining up,.

He's a collie and needs lot's of walk's..... and it's raining ...

Oscar park.JPG
    1778 x 1334 - 685K
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    3DAGE said:

I've got a fiends dog to look after for the next three weeks,. otherwise i'd be joining up,.

That's what you get if you do favours for fiends

3dage,  I don't know when the challenge will be . It probably is at least a month away or more. 

3DAGE said:

My roommate, Miss Celie (mini Dachshund) also likes her walks ;)

Real Men Play.jpg
    655 x 566 - 33K
  • 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

Hi Mike :)

I don't know when the challenge will be . It probably is at least a month away or more. 

Count me in then :)

Okay , 3DAGE I have added your name to the list that Dartanbeck started., so far 8 people which is a nice amount.

Team so far.

mmoir, Milo ,diomede, Dartanbeck, chickenman, Fifth Element, 3DAGE and Kixum from Renderosity

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

Andy did you see you had a PM from Kismet, She wanted some help in New Users Contest thread.

I was just thinking  if we do go ahead with this we will need a site  where the carrara team would discuss/work on the animation. It could be here at the Carrara forums or at Renderosity or Carrarators site.  But we would also need a site where we host all the files,models,renders etc.  Does anyone know of a good free site for this purpose.

Thanks

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited February 2016

mmoir said:

I was just thinking  if we do go ahead with this we will need a site  where the carrara team would discuss/work on the animation. It could be here at the Carrara forums or at Renderosity or Carrarators site.  But we would also need a site where we host all the files,models,renders etc.  Does anyone know of a good free site for this purpose.

Thanks

I don't know from experience but there was an article on Mashable a while back about free file sharing sites for collaboration projects: http://mashable.com/2014/03/06/file-sharing-tools/#KVAPVoMMiPqG

Post edited by MarkIsSleepy on

MDO2010,

Thanks, I will check it out.

edited February 2016

Okay, I signed up with "Hightail" and was looking for a little help to see if it works.  Below is a couple of links to 2 separate folders of my HIghtails collaboration site.. Do these links allow people to download the file ,add comments or add a file to the folder?  Let me know because if this works it is pretty easy to use.

Storyboard,Ideas Folder

https://spaces.hightail.com/space/9pXnX

Model Test folder

https://spaces.hightail.com/space/j4xth

Box site link

https://app.box.com/s/y0ikj9o6b79ca885pbn2y7ujusogwuxp

Dropbox site Test link

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jzppercnjfpb9qb/AAAppRQvm-FfOZbtcekOmCkza?dl=0

Thanks

Post edited by mmoir on

Hi,

I was able to down load edit and re upload after saving.

I was also able to down load the CAR file are open it.

chickenman,

it is good to know that it works and I saw your test edit image that you uploaded.  .  The only downside is that I think the total free space per user is 2gb, the max file upload size is 250mb which isn't bad.

If each person who is part of the team had a free account with Hightails it could work..  I know I have an old Box  account I set up for the Carrara Community Movie Project that had 10gb free space but the interface doesn't feel as nice as this.

Thanks for testing it out. .   

Hi,

I was able to down load edit and re upload after saving.

I was also able to down load the CAR file are open it.