Illustrating with Daz Studio, ZBrush, and Photoshop

samrkennedysamrkennedy Posts: 4
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Hi Everyone,

My name is Sam Kennedy, and I am one of the artists featured in the "In Action" section for DAZ Studio. I've been a professional illustrator working for Disney, St. Martin's Press, ImagineFX, Ubisoft and a lot of other publishers and video game companies. This Thursday I am teaching a free 1 hour webinar about about how I use DAZ Studio, Zbrush and Photoshop to create highly realistic illustration in a very short time. Attached is a picture of Superman that I created from scratch in under 20 hours. The webinar is a precursor to the 5 week workshop that I'll be teaching this Fall. Although the webinar is free, you still have to go to the site at Visualarium and sign up to get a link that will allow you to attend. I am going to be teaching some great works and show how quickly you can create a fantastic and realistic illustration. So please come and see this method. Here's the link--- http://www.visualarium.com/sam-kennedy/#

Thanks and see you there!

Superman_poster_05s.jpg
658 x 1000 - 115K

Comments

• ReDaveReDave Posts: 815
    edited September 2012

Man, that's awesome!!! o_O
    By 12 PM, do you mean midday or midnight? I do see the count-down but it says 11 days left for me.

Post edited by ReDave on
  • RKane_1RKane_1 Posts: 3,037
    edited December 1969

Good question. I am definitely interested!

• samrkennedysamrkennedy Posts: 4
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the enthusiasm. To clarify, the free webinar and promotional course is Thursday, September 6th (starting at noon California time). When you go to the link you will see a countdown, which is counting down until the 5 week program begins ( which needs to be bought). Sorry for the confusion. Come check us out tomorrow!

edited December 1969

I believe that is around 2pm central and I will do my best to attend, sir.

Thanks for posting this! I appreciate learning whenever and whatever I can.

Hope to see you then.

• MorpheonMorpheon Posts: 738
    edited December 1969

Will you make this available in some format for those of us who won't be able to watch it live?

• DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 2,882
    edited December 1969

And hopefully, other than not being able to ask questions, not having a microphone won't be an issue. :) (I don't have a camera on my desktop either. Never saw a use for it.)

edited December 1969

GOOD SEMINAR. I would sign up if I knew the price and could make sure i was able to attend the classes. Any help there, Sam?

By the way, the Green Lantern pic was incredible.

You should SO make a generic version of that armor and make it available as a DAZ Genesis download. Might be a quick way for a little cash.

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,744
    edited December 1969

Impressive art.

edited December 1969

Sam?

May I ask you a few questions here?

This pertains to ZBrush and how you were using it.

Is there a ZBrush tool that will extrude a shape onto a surface and conform to the curvature of the surface?

An example would be if I wanted to make a fantasy bra made up on swirling bits of metal but did not want to copy the underlying mesh (for reasons of copyright) to make my own mesh. Is there a tool that will do that?

• edited September 2012

Sarsifus said:
    Will you make this available in some format for those of us who won't be able to watch it live?

Assuming you are talking about the "preview"... If you go to the link provided by Sam Kennedy in his first post above and sign up for the Preview, even though it has already taken place, you will be taken to a page were you can view a recording of the preview. Signing up for the preview also seems to be the only official way to receive further info about the actual course via e-mail as the info becomes available.

Post edited by 7th Stone Productions on
    edited December 1969

I found it very informative. I don't have Photoshop (use GIMP) or Z-Brush, but there was still enough information in just this piece that I'm fairly certain I could use to improve some of my work, which is what I was hoping for.

Not having Z-brush (I do have Sculptris, but I don't think that works with the GoZ bridge), I don't know that I'd be able to participate in the full course, which is kinda a shame, but I honestly hope it goes well for those who can participate. (Not having a working microphone, I'm not sure I could participate anyway.)

edited December 1969

There are actually a lot of things you could do with Hexagon 2.5 which is still free at DAZ. It has a bridge like ZBrush.

Now it is nowhere near the tool that ZBrush is but still you could work in a similar fashion for making and modifying clothes and for making morphs.

The timeline stuff he was doing however would be beyond Hexagon's powers.

edited December 1969

RKane_1 said:
    There are actually a lot of things you could do with Hexagon 2.5 which is still free at DAZ. It has a bridge like ZBrush.

Now it is nowhere near the tool that ZBrush is but still you could work in a similar fashion for making and modifying clothes and for making morphs.

The timeline stuff he was doing however would be beyond Hexagon's powers.

Last time I tried the Hex bridge, I crashed 'em both. My system can't handle having both programs open. Of course, I think I was still working with DAZ 3 at the time.

I have tried making clothing in Hex. I'm just not happy (at all) with my modeling skills yet, and I'm not sure (I haven't looked) that Hexagon has the push/pull capabilities to make morphs that Sculptris/Z-Brush does. I'd just hate to have a "homework" assignment that I couldn't accomplish not due to lack of skill, but because the software I have is lacking the capability.

• Midnight_storiesMidnight_stories Posts: 4,112
    edited December 1969

I just watched the replay, very impressed, it's a huge bit of publicity for DAZ, and if they can get some of the professionals on board it will be a big win. He gives you an idea how to use some of Ron's brushes how to create depth, I found that a great help. The symmetrical sculpting method was an excellent idea. A big thumbs up here !!!

• Midnight_storiesMidnight_stories Posts: 4,112
    edited December 1969

Sarsifus said:

Normally I found with these classes is at the end of the day they give you access to a downloadable version, but check first.
  • ISIKOLISIKOL Posts: 386
    edited December 1969

Gongrats Sam..it was an amazing workclass...wasn't able to see it live (because of the time difference) but i saw the preview...i must bring zbrush in my workflow!

edited December 1969

It WAS very informative and I look forward to participating. I have been a DAZ user for a bit but I have illustrated for over 25 years.

I *JUST* bought ZBrush and have been timid about getting into it but THIS type of illustration is right up my alley!

Can't wait for more!