The piggy Goes Oink! The Cow goes MOOO! FARMING

I might be in a position to pick up a handful of old Powermac G-5s. close to free. I have an Power Mac G5 Quad I just recently DEMOTED to number 2 as I just got a new 12 core Intel mac.

Anyways I have heard on here about CARRARA people making what I think they called a "RENDERFARM", with multiple machines?

IS this possible and what are some of the issues pro and con?

I was thinking I could set up 4-6 Powermac G5s with one monitor and render away.

I would have to use Carrara 8.1 Pro on all of them I am sure...

PLEASE ADVISE

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,922
    edited December 1969

I think you only need render node on the other two.
    I think it only goes as fast as the slowest machine too

• SockrateaseSockratease Posts: 813
    edited December 1969

This thread stands accused of mentioning Cows in it's title, yet it's content is distinctly Non-Bovine!!

This has upset my Cows immensely.

Don't do it again!

• edited December 1969

This thread stands accused of mentioning Cows in it's title, yet it's content is distinctly Non-Bovine!!

This has upset my Cows immensely.

Don't do it again!

MOOOOOO!!!!!

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

I've used a MDD G4, PowerMac G5 and an Intel iMac on a farm with C7 Pro and C7 nbodes, and it's worked fine with a couple caveats.

1) Rendering with GI brings up some kind of gamma issue with the Intel and PPC Macs. I get render bucket artifacts where the Intel Mac's gamma seems brighter. If I exclude the Intel Mac, then I don't get the issue.

2) Intersecting volumetric clouds cause a similar issue as mentioned above, even if there is no GI in the rendering. SSS seems to cause this sporadically as well.

3) Any shader that uses any sort of randomized procedural setting, such as squares, or noise causes an issue with all nodes and the host. Each computer seems to calculate it's own random pattern instead of relying on the host.
    Sample video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cFfLocjHQU&feature=share&list=UU6wB1FKPN4DWpuoVsQY2o8Q

No other issues to speak of. Really speeds things up!