Blondie9999 or Daz, dumb question, why installer?

WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,035
edited September 2012 in The Commons

I finally bought Blondie's tutorial on rigging in DS4 as while I like rigging stuff in Carrara, I would also like to rig stuff to work with Daz studio and the CCT workflow superficially appears almost as easy as Carrara but a bit of guidance never goes astray.
(I will admit I never even looked at trying it yet but thought following Blondie's guide might be better than my usually mad stabbing in the dark and it WAS on sale for the PA sale afterall)
now
my dumb question
it is a pdf
my Android opens pdfs and will download them by default
it also downloads zip files
(and I even have model viewer apps that would open the gingerbreadman obj if I so desired ;-P )
so
why the exe installer?
I will be putting it on my Android (and kindle) anyway but now I will have to fire up my desktop first to download it.
I will indeed want it on my PC too for working with studio, but initially now, I was going to read it in bed on my Samsung Galaxy tab as you do!
thought I'd be clever and download the Mac zip but that had an installer in it too :snake:

I suspect it is Daz not Blondie responsible
but
damn you Daz, I downloaded both Daz studio 4.5 32 &64bit; on my Android!!!! in 15 minutes!!!! for almost a gig of data
on my pc it would take hours!!
because
they were zips!!!
so get with the zips already!!!
and put pdf's
hello
in pdf format!!!!

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,035
    edited December 1969

ok, got that off my chest!
    feel much better now, should stop browsing on the Galaxy and get some sleep! %-P

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

I guess the simple answer is that is the way it's always been done. I often wonder the same when I download a template

• RKane_1RKane_1 Posts: 3,037
    edited December 1969

I do believe, though, that they have mentioned in another thread they will be moving to a .ZIP file format in the future for all downloads.

I forgot who said it but I will poke around and see if I can find it.

edited December 1969

yeah, soon :roll:

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Yeah, that too. Sometime ....umm....errr....in the not too distant future (avoiding that word which tends to jinx things. :coolsmirk:

• blondie9999blondie9999 Posts: 771
    edited December 1969

I have no control over how DAZ packages products. DAZ has always used installers.

The tutorial is a .pdf file, but there is also a "gingerbread man" figure included for use in following the tutorial. Maybe that's the reason for the installer?

• Zev0Zev0 Posts: 7,064
    edited December 1969

Are admins here in the forum in the Daz building or off site?

edited December 1969

sorry, Blondie, not mad at you or anything like that, just perplexed why Daz has to take something so simple
    like a pdf and go to all the extra effort and package it up in an unfriendly complicated way just because it is what they do :roll:
    yes I know there is the EULA agreement blah blah blah but surely (sight unseen sofar, still on my android) your pdf has a do not redistribute etc copyright in it anyway like any book etc.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,579
    edited December 1969

Zev0 said:
    Are admins here in the forum in the Daz building or off site?

They don't let us in the building. There may be a restraining order involved.

edited December 1969

Do you at least know who the Janiter is? Ask him to walk around in the office and give us updates on stuff so he can tell us soon or not:)

• Cyn ArtCyn Art Posts: 0
    edited September 2012

lol :-P touché

Post edited by Cyn Art on
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,579
    edited December 1969

Zev0 said:
    Do you at least know who the Janiter is? Ask him to walk around in the office and give us updates on stuff so he can tell us soon or not:)

I know the Janitor, but I'm afraid the only word he ever says is "soon". The rumor is that he used to be Head of Marketing before the breakdown.

edited December 1969

Zev0 said:

I know the Janitor, but I'm afraid the only word he ever says is "soon". The rumor is that he used to be Head of Marketing before the breakdown.

LOL....