Have Content in Smart Content and Content library but...

leo04leo04 Posts: 322

I have my content showing up in both places now, Smart Content and the Content Library, but, I cannot always double click, say and actor, and have it merged into the scene.  I can do it from the Content Library but when I go to the Smart Content pane it shows up, (in color so it was installed) but I get a message that says it cant find it.

What do I need to do to get my Smart Content to work so it will merge into a scene when I doubel click it. 

The location is in the Content DB so I am a bit of a loss what to do next.

Thanks.

THANKS TO EVERYONE THAT COMMENTED AND HELPED I APPRECIATE IT.

Post edited by leo04 on

Comments

• leo04 said:

I have my content showing up in both places now, Smart Content and the Content Library, but, I cannot always double click, say and actor, and have it merged into the scene.  I can do it from the Content Library but when I go to the Smart Content pane it shows up, (in color so it was installed) but I get a message that says it cant find it.

What Daz version do you use? Here are some tips which might help you solve all this, it sounds like a database (meta data) issue to me, but I could be mistaken:

• Right click on the actor in the smart content pane and select "show in content library" ('mapped folder' if you're using 4.9).
    • Check that something shows up for you; also make sure it's the same product.

Another way to do it in 4.9 is to right click and use the "Explore product" option. That wil list the product in the smart conents pane and list its contents, which should also allow you to see what's up.

My guess for now is that the entry in the smart conent pane doesn't correspond with your product. Should be easily fixable.

• leo04leo04 Posts: 322
    edited February 2016

Thank you, I am on 4.9.

When I right click, I do see the show in Content Library > Products It showes up there but when I click it the Resource Error opens and Says " Could not open file.  path to *.duf  File does not exist.  But if I browse to the file location there it is.  I can drag itt from there and it loads but what a pain.

Just check and noticed that it looks like all my content in the Content Directory Managet is listed under the Poser Format.  These all appear to be the Connect Librarys...

Post edited by leo04 on
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,965

The ideal behind Smart Content is once you load an actor only content compatible for that actor will show up under the Library Smart Content when that actor is selected. To add other actors or content that is not compatible to the Smart Content actor or content for other purposes in the scene altogether you still use the usual Content Library, not the Smart Content Library.

Right I get that. I have content that is not loading/available, either by installing thru Install Manager or Connect.  I have attempted to load/install using both methods.

Currently I have to open the local folder and drag and drop to get some things to work no matter where they appear in the Content folder/panes.

This has started since the upgrade to 4.9.

Still attemptung to download/install again thru Install Manager, completely purged DAZ from the PC and started over, all my content was on another drive that the DAZ content.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,965

Sorry, I misunderstood. I did read some products are in Lost & Found because DAZ hasn't categorized them yet and some it likely never will. Personally I have found the Content Library Products & Categories the most reliable place for finding products organized logically.

This is what I did to fix. After the 4.9 upgrade I change the Content Manager, and the DAZ Content Library to the same location from the defaults DAZ 4.9 chose because I but my content in a non-standard place, an external SSD. DAZ Studio Pro 4.9 still makes that 'cloud' mess but they are on the same disk with the Content Manager installs in a folder called data of the Library. I updated the Poser content locations to the correct place.

I finally merged my ancient Poser runtime and DAZ Studio 3 folders with DAZ Studio 4.9 Library but left my new Poser Pro 2014 runtime and it's installs seperate. I deinstalled and reinstall all the content the DAZ 3D site knows about that I bought from them within the DAZ Install Manager.

Still I had to in the 'Content Library' under 'Products' go through each letter of the alphabet and check that everything is installed OK and in a few cases it wasn't so I installed write there from the 'Content Library' product listing and rather then used the cached install manager of the product in every case on a few products it actually redownloaded the product from DAZ and installed it.

But once that was done everything works OK except for the minor bugs listed in the Beta thread. I did update for the first time to a Public Beta DAZ Studio Pro 4.9.X and it created a brand new product dB in my User hidden AppData named something like 'DAZ Studio Pro Public Beta+++' and left my 'DAZ Studio Pro' alone and also created brand new product install location directions rather than use the default ones I had set up for the release version of DAZ Studio Pro 4.9. I think that is intentional though so the beta can be tested along side while still using the release for real work.

• how can i install products through smart content. 

• Do you mean using Connect? In the release build - 4.9.1.30 - go to Smart Content, then in the Products tab find and select the item(s) you want to install - you can use the Available filter button at the bottom to thin the list to uninstalled items, ctrl(Win)/cmd(Mac)-click to add or remove items from your selection - then right-click on any selected product and choose Install. The current Public Beta has added a new pane, Install, which shows only the uninstalled items but otherwise works much like Smart Content and has an Install Selected button at the bottom. Once you have items installing you can use the Pending filter button at the bottom of Smart Content or Install to see how they are progressing and to cancel if desired.

Thank you to everyone that commented and helped me with this issue. I have finally figured it out and have resolved my problem.

There is really no need for further comment on this thread.

P.S. I'd kill it if I knew how.

smiley