How to keeping consistent DOF on a moving character

qbfijiqbfiji Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Hi there,

I'm trying to keep a consistent depth of field on a character that is moving but I'm doing it unsuccessfully. Is there a way I can lock settings on an particular object? Once I move the camera my character is out of focus.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments

• JoeMamma2000JoeMamma2000 Posts: 2,615
    edited September 2012

Unfortunately I think you're a bit out of luck on that one. With other 3D apps you can specify an object to track and maintain in focus, but not so with Carrara. I think it does a simple gaussian blur as a post effect, but there's no way to change the focal distance in an animation.

Which isn't a total loss, IMO, since the Carrara DOF is pretty sucky anyway. Of course you can do it in post if you have something like After Effects. But I don't think you can get what is effectively a camera with autofocus, or a guy with his hand on the focus ring of your lens like with real movie cameras.

You may just have to do a workaround, and increase the depth of field (ie, the area that is in focus), and then resize your scene and the distances between objects so that the moving object you want to stay in focus stays within the field depth, and that which you want to stay out of focus is outside that.

The easiest way to change the field depth is to change the magnification of the the object, either by the distance from the camera to object, or the zoominess (mm) of the lens. There's another recent thread on DOF that may help.

Post edited by JoeMamma2000 on
  • 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

Joemamma wrote

I think it does a simple gaussian blur as a post effect, but there’s no way to change the focal distance in an animation

Not so. Joe.

The DOF can be animated using key-frames.

The focal point can be set on different key-frames, and the intensity of the effect can be changed to provide greater or lesser effect.

You can also Switch between DOF On and Off,
    Combined with the ability to "Jump to" saved camera positions within an animation, then you have the ability to create more complex shots form one camera angle with Heavy DOF, to a different Camera angle with Less, or No DOF effect

DOF_Keys1.jpg
    926 x 461 - 95K
  • JoeMamma2000JoeMamma2000 Posts: 2,615
    edited September 2012

Ahh...sorry for the misinformation.

Seems kinda strange that there's no user interface for it other than doing it manually on the timeline, nor a way to track a specific object to focus on. I guess you just have to measure the distance from camera to object at certain keyframes and enter the distance manually.

BTW, is there a way to directly measure distance from camera to object, or do you just have to make a ruler or something?

Oh, wait, you can probably use the DOF pointer tool, which gives a direct readout of distance....

Nevermind, I'm all screwed up.....

Post edited by JoeMamma2000 on
  • 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

No problem JoeMamma :)

The Depth of field can be set to focus on a specific object using the little red Crosshair thing, in the Camera DOF effect window.
    This allows you to click in the preview area to select the focal point, and set a keyframe in the timeline.

:)

DOF_edit.jpg
    1246 x 966 - 219K
  • ProPoseProPose Posts: 520
    edited December 1969

Who needs a manual when we hade 3DAGE. Thanks for the tips,