Pause render in DAZ

One function I'd love to have, especially with Iray and the lenghtier render times it demand, is a pausing of renders. Sometimes you need the computer for something else, like going on a heavy loading internet page or watching a streamed movie or something, and then you have to kill the render.

Some render engines have functions for pausing and resuming a render, I wonder if that might be possible in DAZ too.

Comments

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,388

IIRC you can resume an iray render if you cancel it (not sure as I don't render with iray).

I don't think 3Delight render engine has a pause function.

• What Leana

Also if you lower the Process Priority of DAZ in the Windows task manager a bit (just one step below normal) you can still work on your computer and it will still use remaining CPU cycles for rendering in the meantime.

• Leana said:

IIRC you can resume an iray render if you cancel it (not sure as I don't render with iray).

I don't think 3Delight render engine has a pause function.

that's correct. wink

the tip is not saving after cancel because the file is created with the last iteration processed.

Only,when you finalize at the iteration you like, cancel, then save for final image.

If I could add to the suggestion is create an embed text like LuxRender does at the bottom of the render with data of the render, time, iterations, etc...

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

If I could add to the suggestion is create an embed text like LuxRender does at the bottom of the render with data of the render, time, iterations, etc...

That would have to be something Nvidia has to do...

• pause button would be nice

• I"m not certain it's possible for the 3Delight side, and if it is, it's not something that DAZ likely would be able to do, just like some other changes that people ask for. I believe I did see something that indicated it might already be possible to do this with Iray in DAZ Studio.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

No, 3Delight can't 'pause'....

For Iray you can stop and restart, as long as you don't close the render window.  More than that would need Nvidia to enable Iray to read and use a saved progress file.  The 'pause' is just stopping the render and requires keeping everything in active memory.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,715

pause button would be nice

In IRAY, click Cancel, the Resume.

• The Strata 3D app has a nice feature: You can "Suspend Render" and it writes it to a file. You can then do that with another file, and another.

And then you can open them in a render queue, which it will run, one fil at a time, until it's done.

• Everyone seems to be discussing rendering to a window, does anyone know if an iRay render is saved if you cancel while rendering direct to file?
    (I know this is kind of an old thread but this seemed the place to ask rather than making a new post)

• CZCZ Posts: 160

Everyone seems to be discussing rendering to a window, does anyone know if an iRay render is saved if you cancel while rendering direct to file?
    (I know this is kind of an old thread but this seemed the place to ask rather than making a new post)

Yes, the image will be svaed as it is at the timepoint, when you cancel the render direct to a file.

Does anybody know, if it is possible to change some light settings while iray is paused? I tried it, and you can do it and resume again, but I 'm not sure, if these changes apply to the render in the open window.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,715
    edited November 2016

No the render that is open is a permenant record of what it was at the time you clicked (or used Ctrl R) render.

But leave the current render open; clicking render again and it will start quicker as most of the work of transfering to the RAM is done.

Post edited by nicstt on
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,580

There's an arrow at the edge of the render window that lets you modify some of the parameters.

edited November 2016

There's an arrow at the edge of the render window that lets you modify some of the parameters.

I can't see any arrow on my render window (see screenshot). Maybe I'm not looking right. Would it be possible for you to show a small screenshot of it? blush

Screen.jpg
    997 x 892 - 246K
    Post edited by CZ on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,866
    edited November 2016
    CZ said:

I can't see any arrow on my render window (see screenshot). Maybe I'm not looking right. Would it be possible for you to show a small screenshot of it? blush

Your window looks a little different than mine. I render on Windows 10. Are you on Mac by chance? Maybe it is this (See image below with red arrow.).

render window arrow.jpg
    997 x 892 - 596K
    Post edited by barbult on
    edited November 2016
    barbult said:
    CZ said:

Your window looks a little different than mine. I render on Windows 10. Are you on Mac by chance? Maybe it is this (See image below with red arrow.).

Yes! I have never noticed this very tiny button. But that's it. It opens the options I can change while rendering. Thanks so much for that hint. smiley

Post edited by CZ on
  •  

Everyone seems to be discussing rendering to a window, does anyone know if an iRay render is saved if you cancel while rendering direct to file?

@hesperasmith - This works... Go to File >> Save Last Render

• @Martini Thanks!

• I can confirm that as long as an iRay render stays open, even if it was "cancelled," it can be resumed.  To the left of the Cancel and Save buttons there is a Resume button for that purpose.  I had to get on to some work today, so I paused a render that was taking a long time, and just got back to it this evening.  The rendering process restarted where it had left off without a hitch.  This is my experience on Windows 10 with a GTX 760 video card.  Other configurations/setups may differ in actual performance.

• I"m not certain it's possible for the 3Delight side, and if it is, it's not something that DAZ likely would be able to do, just like some other changes that people ask for. I believe I did see something that indicated it might already be possible to do this with Iray in DAZ Studio.

While not as useful or convenient as the pause ability in Iray, it does seem that 3delight pauses when I put my computer to sleep (discovered this accidentally and did it once on purpose) - using a mac btw.

Thank you to those who gave the info on iray pause - mainly using 3dl right now, but with a few items I've had no option but to render with iray, and this info was very helpful.