Really close to taking the Carrara plunge -- any comments on modeling capabilities?

2»

Comments

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited February 2016
    I should add that the Llama is still a WIP. I still need to add morphs for facial expressions and such.
    Post edited by evilproducer on
  • PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144

Evil - very nice, and I think yiou are being too modest! This model reminds me of various Llama based games in the 80s, if you remember that far back!

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

Ah, Revenge of the Mutant Camels! Those were the days. Whatever happened to Jeff Minter, is he still around?

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,989

that's one cool llama EP.. and to say you never liked to try modelling you have excelled smiley

but I think a cow would of been better devil

• Carrara sounds like a way to dabble in dynamics, different types of modeling, volumetric lights, etc., without buying all separate programs. Intriguing...

Carrara is simply the most value for money "serviced" all-in-one suite you can find. Even at $80 it was a bargain.

I'm currently at Poser and iClone space, mainly for their more developed soft cloth dynamics and physics. I do miss Carrara.

Yes  Carrara is under-serviced under-updated and under-appreciated by its owner. Still I will recommend Carrara to "advanced hobbyist" or professional movie maker on tight budget. It is great value even without premade content connection to Daz store. It is way way easier to learn and master than Blender. It is possible to finish a 3D movie project in it with your own CUSTOM people, animal, furniture, houses, moving vehicle, instancing, atmospheric effects, trees, wind, water, terrain, that could be rendered in any lighting style at any budget. 

If you're up to it - at little or no cost, you can even make water and more cloth and fur and flocks of birds out of the underused addons and scripts made by advanced users who maintain this tool out of love and passion. 

And Carrara has some of the most helpful and resourceful community members ever. Not saying that lightly. That's why I log in just to post this.

Cheers all! :)

• Thanks for the nice comments on the Llama! If you saw the mesh around the eyes you'd cringe! I do look at tutorials, and I see how the area around the eyes are done, but my brain is hitting a road block or something and I always create a craptacular mess!

I have a looming deadline for the project that created the Llama for, but once I'm done I want to revisit the mesh around the eyes, add morphs and generally give it a good fit and polish. After that, I'll stick it in my ShareCG account for anybody that wants it. It will probably be a few weeks before that happens though.

Here's a sample of the 'toon look I want for my animation. It will be rendered in a standard TV format to match the video sources I am also using. I just rendered big to see the flaws. ;-)

sample2.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 707K