Getting back into Carrara

Hello all,

I've been away from the 3d community for several years now.  My mouse arm was starting to hurt so much that I cave up computer art and started painting.  Now I want to start up again.

I'm currently using Carrara 7Pro.  Seems like the vertex modeling room is extremely slow.  A lot slower than I remember.  I have been playing around with some old models I created years ago, and just trying to move faces around takes three or four seconds to sellect and drag.  I used to remember dragging in realtime.  The hair modeler is also very slow to refresh.  Any suggestions?  I'm using an iMac, fairly new, with loads of RAM. 

Any suggestions for what I call the "mouse shoulder"?  My right shoulder blade muscle between the blade and the spine gets tight and soar.  

I wanted up load up Anyting Goos and ArchiTools - but the old serial for Architools is missing - I guess I didn't load them into C7P, probably just in C6P.  Does the company that sold the plugins still exist?

It's taking me a while to get back into the swing of things.

Any help appreciated.

I mostly like to model and work on wildlife scenes.  The fancy human models don't interest me at the moment.  

Glad to be back-

RS

Comments

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144

Welcome back! Architools is by Inagoni, if you bought it from Daz the serial number should be listed in your account info, there is a page for all your serial numbers.  Anything Goos is by Digital Carvers Guild, bith companies are still around. Not sure why your response is so slow, it shouldn't be.

• Ergonomic sitting while at a desk always fixes whatever pain I might get otherwise.

• Ok, what i'm seeing is that Carrara isn't refreshing the window when I'm working in the vertex modeler until I swipe off the screen to the tool bar, which means it isn't letting me see a live view of my work.

Anyone else experiencing this?

• Thanks PhilW, I'm emailing both companies for serial numbers.  Hopefully they still have my email and account info. and can send numbers to get me up and running again.

Shonner, I'm trying to sit up and use good form : ) Guess I'll look online for a good instructional video.

• When I start to have trouble with using the mouse I switch hands for a few days.  I am not ambidextrous at all, and at first it took a few days of bungling to get my left hand to give satisfactory results with the mouse. The good part is that the left hand does not forget and you can switch over quite easily when you have to. It is not just the hand that needs rest. When you use your right hand your whole upper body is twisted to favor this position.  When you switch to the left hand, you are now building up the reciprocal muscles in the back and relileving the spine tilt and twist.  I don't know much about it, except that it works for me.

• msteaka, I'm going to give it a try.  Thank you.

Has anyone run into the refresh lag I'm writing about in the vertex room?

• I figured out that the OpenGL setting in the Vertex room was the issue, and if I switched it to Software in the vertext room, it refreshes FAST!  So, that's how I'm rolling now.

And using my left hand on the mouse : )

• de3ande3an Posts: 915

I figured out that the OpenGL setting in the Vertex room was the issue, and if I switched it to Software in the vertext room, it refreshes FAST!  So, that's how I'm rolling now.

Carrara 7 did not have this problem in the past. But now that you mention it, I also see this happening.

Until recently I was using Mac OS 10.6.8 and had no problem. But I'm now using 10.11.3, and see that I also must switch to Software rendering (when using Carrara 7). For me It also affects the Assembly room (but in a slightly different way). So it would seem that the OpenGL drivers in the more recent Mac OS are not fully compatible with Carrara 7. However, Carrara 8.5.1 does not seem to have any such problem, and is working fine for me using the Open GL setting. (In case you're considering upgrading.)

• Hi de3an -  Thanks for the validation that it isn't just my software.  I won't reload now.  Concerning Carrara 8.5.1 - I would like to upgrade, but it is very expensive.  I don't see an upgrade price, just the full purchase of $300.

I'd upgrade if it was more reasonable.  

• de3ande3an Posts: 915

Daz seldom seems to advertise upgrade pricing, but many have been given a special upgrade price by contacting Daz Sales directly, and asking. However, since you've skipped a few of the paid versions since Carrara 7 you might not qualify.

Couldn't hurt to ask though.

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202

If you buy the PC + club then the price is $65. so even with the cost of a 3 month PC + it is still cheap.

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

Don't forget you get a monthly $6 off voucher for Daz Originals with PC+, so that takes it down to $59.

• Thank you all - I did the deal and at a good price with teh Pc+ and all.  Now comes the learning curve. I purchased a cute bear cub pack and figured out how to load it with the Daz loader... 

Problems:  the poor cub is pretty jacked when I add a pose. I haven't had that problem before witih models.

Every time I add a pose, it asks for a link to the runtime (which I had to try and find so I could find the texture maps) - every time.  Is there a place to tell it where the runtime is?  It obviously found it in order to load the content, even when I click cancel - but the worse part... the Carrara screen goes white and I have to hide/show it to get it back again... Ugh!  Any ideas?

I tried to load a Runtime from 7Pro but it wouldn't show the content, just listed the content.

Any help appreciated