My Carrara Animation Project

BC RiceBC Rice Posts: 591
edited February 2016 in Carrara Discussion

So I decided to take the plunge and continue my Dead at the End series using Carrara for the bulk of all the animation. There are a lot of working parts to this because of the very specific way I want it to look (which will be different than I've previously done). 

So far I've used Carrara 3 times in my animations (posted below). The goal of Dead at the End was always to move us through different visual experiences, while Spandies was going to stay pretty much dedicated to a traditional, dramedy approach. Additonally, I have a series upcoming that will mirror Spandies, except will focus on the villains. That will definitely not include any Carrara. So in order to create the kind of balanced multi-media, multi-genre approach I want for the series, I'm going full on Carrara for Dead at the End moving forward. Super exciting, super intimidating. If it doesn't work out...it will be a lot of time wasted and could negatively impact the series overall...so I'm going to be taking a very meticulous approach for this first attempt. 

I'll be posting primarily images at first before I start moving towards test animations. I'm not entirely certain at this point that I'll be able to work in Carrara Pro 8.5 for the animation because it does have some flaws regarding textures that 7.2 doesn't have. Which is a massive shame...but it is what it is. 

This is kind of a daunting prospect for me, but with enough organization, I feel like I'll be able to pull it off. I've had some small successes using Carrara, so now I want to take the plunge. Fingers crossed!!! 

Carrara at 3:50 mark:

Carrara at 3:10 mark: 

Carrara at 1:50 mark: 

First test of new workflow: 

Post edited by BC Rice on

Comments

• BC RiceBC Rice Posts: 591
    edited February 2016

Alright...so let's get into it...

Attached is a first comparison. I'm starting with using a character from Spandies "Damage" (will not appear in the Dead at the End animation -- just for reference)

First is just about getting the costumes to line up...

Damage and Damage.png
    900 x 750 - 2M
    edited February 2016

Next is the shaders...

Unfortunately they're too complex for 8.5. But 7.2 can handle them just fine. I'll have to see how that all pans out...

One thing I've considered previously is to render all animations twice and overlay them in AE...but that doesn't really yield the same effect. I'm happy with the results I arrived at in 7.2, so I'll probably just have to render the character animations out from there. 

DAMAGE CHARACTER SHEET.jpg
    1280 x 1440 - 887K

Using a generic rendering of She Hulk to experiment with further. 

SHE-HULK-imnal.jpg
    1440 x 810 - 640K
  • mmoirmmoir Posts: 821

BC Rice,

I like the style of your images.  How were they rendered? Carrara's Toon,Vectorstyle or Toon Pro.(DCG) ?

Good luck with this.endeavor.

mmoir said:

BC Rice,

I like the style of your images.  How were they rendered? Carrara's Toon,Vectorstyle or Toon Pro.(DCG) ?

Good luck with this.endeavor.

Thanks. I use a combination of YAtoon and Toon Pro via the multi shader option. 

So this is the first test. I try not to do too many tests prior to just getting into it, so I'll probably see from this example what I want to keep and what I want to trash. I think if I can work to make the CGI models more flat and angular, that would help. 

NOTE: I'll also be posting any new tests in the first post for easy viewing.