UV Mapping and Unfold

Comments

• UV Mapping editor solved. I reset preferences to default, rebooted, and not only UV Mapping works, but also fixed a few other problems in the vertex modeler.

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    otodomus said:

And Roygee I can't unfold the T-Pipe, con you help me please? This are the seams I am selecting, is that OK?:

That's great for the ends and detaching the top pipe. Now you just need a seam along the length of each cylinder to unroll it. Any of the lines would do, but as mentioned earlier, best to put the seam where it won't show. I'd choose the bottom of the outer cylinder, the top of the inner cylinder, and the back of the top cylinder.

Pipe.jpg
    781 x 759 - 277K
  • RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247

Almost there - just add the three seams I have drawn in yellow:)

wirepipe.jpg
    781 x 759 - 108K
  • 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited February 2016

Hi Otto :)

You'll need a seam along each cylinder section,. including the inside tube,.

Post edited by 3DAGE on

HI GRankin

I'm on win 7 64 bit,. I'd agree with Tango alpha that what you describe is far from normal,. unless the model you're working on has a massive polygon count.

any chance of more details about what you're doing?

Screenshots help

• otodomusotodomus Posts: 332
    otodomus said:

And Roygee I can't unfold the T-Pipe, con you help me please? This are the seams I am selecting, is that OK?:

That's great for the ends and detaching the top pipe. Now you just need a seam along the length of each cylinder to unroll it. Any of the lines would do, but as mentioned earlier, best to put the seam where it won't show. I'd choose the bottom of the outer cylinder, the top of the inner cylinder, and the back of the top cylinder.

I did it, but still not working for me, its now much better than my previous intent, but the squares still not coinciding.

edited February 2016

And for those who are interested in to unfold a Cube, Carrara do that by default I was adding a cube to test a texture I did it in the assembly room, then converted the cube to other modeller as vertex object, and when I did select the UV Editing Mode this was what I had, not necessary to do manually, cool!:

It was like the previous process, but this time I have'nt used the unfold option:

Will try with other primitive shapes.

Jil Lite render-3.png
    864 x 744 - 171K
    3D Cube Unfold-1.png
    375 x 379 - 126K
    Post edited by otodomus on

I'm too slow and missed it,.

If all is good,.. then all is good

It also worked with other primitive shapes as the sphere....

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    edited February 2016

Except, Oto, your cube has square sides, but the map does not. If you put writing or a graphic on that map it will come out distorted. You will need to scale it horizontally to make the faces square.

There's always some little thing that's not quite right, or at least it seems that way! You are allowed to pull your hair out in frustration (if you have any left!) wink

Post edited by TangoAlpha on

Except, Oto, your cube has square sides, but the map does not. If you put writing or a graphic on that map it will come out distorted. You will need to scale it horizontally to make the faces square.

There's always some little thing that's not quite right, or at least it seems that way! You are allowed to pull your hair out in frustration (if you have any left!) wink

Hahaha, yes I know, and I am agree there is no a magic formula to do this but is good trying to figure out how to do it.

In the case of the cube, you are right, what I was trying to point is that the unfolded shape appeared by default, have you ever tried out?

edited February 2016

And now I think the secret is where to place each one of the pieces right?

T-Pipe Unfold-1.png
    423 x 434 - 17K
  • RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247

And now I think the secret is where to place each one of the pieces right?

Right:)  Then scale them proportionately by eyeballing... 

Hi friends, I was thinking in how to add a label to a model, you won't believe how I did it, now I am lack of time is just that I wished to shar with you the results, will be back with the step by step in case that someone be interested.

image.jpg
    611 x 454 - 14K
    edited February 2016

Something really weird it happened to me, last night I could spent some time UV mapping the above figure, I was at home and I have there the 4.5 version if I recall correctly, so what I did was to create the figure and select a ring along the body, named as a different shader domine and play with some tests here and there.

What I could afford was just great, I have applied a metal texture to the rest of the body, I have choosed the aluminium material that comes by deafult and changed the color to a warm gray, then the newer shader was created in illustrator and exported as .JPEG, I have learned somewhere that to apply a logo or an image in the shader room you needed to follow the next steps:

Complex Shader > Layer List > Basic Layer > Multi Channel

And in the color of that last you add the .JPEG file, what you can obtain somehow following this process is that the image will retain the gloss and other attributes the aluminum texture have, even the bump is retained this way, so when you apply the image it looks like metal, the rest was to match the gray color between both, this is how I made this one:

I bet that you can't see where the newer shader domine starts and where ends, and I have selected one that should show it, however I was very happy with it, but for some reason I can't do the same in Carrara 8.5, I couldn't even create two different shader domines in the same object, and I was sure that I could do it before, anyways, what I did was unwrap the part of the body where the label would be, and the rest of the body had already the same color and texture:

This is the .JPEG image:

This is the part that I have selected to be labeled:

And the render:

It was no the same process I followed at home because I needed to unwarp the part of the label, at home I don't need to do it, by selecting it I had just that part in the UV Mode selection, quite weird indeed.

Regards everyone.

Otto

Premium Quality-2.jpg
    1371 x 2513 - 1M
    Cylinder UV Mapping-2.png
    815 x 567 - 132K
    Cylinder UV Mapping-1.png
    712 x 643 - 102K
    Premium Quality-2.jpg
    546 x 1000 - 611K
    edited February 2016

HI Otto :)

Carrara has some really handy shadert functions which can make this task MUCH easier,.

Layers,.

You can Draw a shape layer, (rectangle,. oval etc). directly onto the model in the (preview window) in the shader room,.

you can add your logo image to that layer and it applies only to that area

layers.jpg
    1245 x 672 - 148K
    Post edited by 3DAGE on

Sorry for the larger image and for the typo in "SELCECTION", I have deleted the larger one and added a new a bit smaller, trying not to bother you rmobile devices...

3DAGE said:

HI Otto :)

Carrara has some really handy shadert functions which can make this task MUCH easier,.

Layers,.

You can Draw a shape layer, (rectangle,. oval etc). directly onto the model in the (preview window) in the shader room,.

you can add your logo image to that layer and it applies only to that area

Thanks! Oh that would be another way to do it.... I thought that you could select part of the geometry in the model room and by assigning a new shader domine would do the trick, and for some reason is not working right now...

edited February 2016

And friends, I am not taking conclusions yet, since Unwrap and Unfold and UV map its a fascinating topic in which I think I am a newbie I think that you don't need to unwrap all your models, is something like "instinct", and what your needings would demand, label a mechanical part is something that I do quite often, in the case of the T-Pipe I am sure that I never will need to apply a texture that wraps entirely that shape in some case what I would need is that a logo or a legend would be applied, so I don't need to unwrap it, and to be honest I do give up after several tests I never could get the squared texture matching perfectly to it  frown if someone could do it I aplaud it and I'd ask your method.

But in the other hand, what have happened to me this last hours is giving me the reason, I couldn't reply what I did at home, then unwraping part of the body did the job, so was very helpful learning to unfold 3D shapes, really I couldn't afford that before, I need to test some other complex shapes to see how they work, but having at hand the create a new shader domine by selecting part of the geometry is like godl to me, and what 3DAGE have just posted before opens other posiibilties.

Thanks everyone to help me out in the process to learn this, I said already that I love Carrara? If not I love it! hehehe

When you create a new shading domain,. that domain can have a different UV mapping layout from the rest of the model.

you can select that new domain, in the uv editor, then go to the "display" tab ,..( View all ) and uncheck that,. so you can see the UV mapping for each domain separately.

you can select the new domain,. and then adjust the UV layout for that domain,. to suit your image./ texture map .. see pic 1 (extreme example)

With shaders,. you can create "procedural" shaders, which use colours, rather than pixels from a image,..and those are applied to the model,, based on the local space, or global space, or the models UV's

There are also "Projection Mapping shaders" (pic 2) as well as the layer shaders which can use different named parts of a model, or different shading domains.

you could even incorporate shader functions from the terrain shaders,. such as Elevation, or Slope, to create more complex, or detailed shaders.

Uv domain.jpg
    1486 x 781 - 171K
    projection shaders.jpg
    1233 x 644 - 164K

Oh thanks! I was ignoring that I had to apply the shade in the assemble room, I did create it in the model but not assigned yet, I fixed that and now is working.

edited February 2016

And take a look to this one, its almost matched the color, I have used a brushed image that I found on the net and I have placed the vector art on it, this is how I am solving this unles that can be placed the vector art directly to the metal brush in Carrara....

Cylinder UV Mapped-3.png
    742 x 446 - 125K
    3DAGE said:

When you create a new shading domain,. that domain can have a different UV mapping layout from the rest of the model.

you can select that new domain, in the uv editor, then go to the "display" tab ,..( View all ) and uncheck that,. so you can see the UV mapping for each domain separately.

you can select the new domain,. and then adjust the UV layout for that domain,. to suit your image./ texture map .. see pic 1 (extreme example)

That's what I was doing wrong, but you know in the earlier version I have I could manage those by separate, don't need to un-check, thank you!

edited February 2016

MIxer shaders,.  with a mixer you can have two colours,. or textures,. and the "Blender" for the mixer can be your B/W vector artwork

rough example

I created a new a shading domain for the logo area,.

The main shader is orange,  the logo shader is a mixer of white and red,. with the black and white (vector artwork :)) "texture map" as the blender.

Just a heads up for those interested in making textures,.

AlienSkin have a sale on right now,. if you use photoshop or some other image editors,.  Eyecandy is a great set of texture creation tools

http://www.alienskin.com/eyecandy/

all products have 30 day trial downloads

mixer map.jpg
    1179 x 565 - 142K
    Post edited by 3DAGE on
  • And then there is the 3D Paint tool in Carrara Pro.
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

Yes, EP, you are correct.  I am trying to get better at uv unwrap as part of a 3d paint workflow.  For example, I have started on a bearskin rug project.  (I started one before, but this is a do-over).  For right now, I am plugging hair texture maps into the shader tree of the hair root and tips.  I'd like to use the 3D paint tool to create opacity masks to have greater control of the fur color, length, density, etc.  These could be used to reduce hair length around he snout, for example.  They can also be used to create lighter and darker colored patches of hair.

Here is my start.  It will do, but it could be a lot better.  Advice welcomed.  Yes, I added teeth and eyeballs, but they are separate objects and not part of this same mesh.

bearskin rug model.JPG
    1517 x 742 - 138K
    bearskin rug render.jpg
    640 x 480 - 43K
  • wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634
    otodomus said:

And take a look to this one, its almost matched the color, I have used a brushed image that I found on the net and I have placed the vector art on it, this is how I am solving this unles that can be placed the vector art directly to the metal brush in Carrara....

I've a question about both versions with different textures, you're earlier and later final renders yesterday. Why is there such a sharp horizontal line running the length of the texture/object? What is most strange is that the lower half on both pics is lighter rather than darker that the top half. Is that intentional?

The "brushed texture" doesn't look that great to me. Not quite realistic enough. I have a "brushed" metal shader for Carrara but can't say that it wasn't obtained elsewhere.

3DAGE said:
    AlienSkin have a sale on right now,. if you use photoshop or some other image editors,.  Eyecandy is a great set of texture creation tools

I cound'nt find out where it worked with anything other than Photoshop which I rarely use since I'm more familiar with and like PaintShop Pro. I was a bit surprised at the price but then realized that Eyecandy is actually a program and not simply textures.

diomede said:

I am trying to get better at uv unwrap as part of a 3d paint workflow.  For example, I have started on a bearskin rug project.  (I started one before, but this is a do-over).  For right now, I am plugging hair texture maps into the shader tree of the hair root and tips.  I'd like to use the 3D paint tool to create opacity masks to have greater control of the fur color, length, density, etc.  These could be used to reduce hair length around he snout, for example.  They can also be used to create lighter and darker colored patches of hair.

Interesting... I would have approached the entire thing differentetely and used Carrara Hair instead since it can be trimmed in the areas needed... I've been wanting to experiment with adding highlights to Carrara Hair. Suppose that way would likely use up to much render time.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited February 2016

Yes, I am using Carrara hair.  Until I use 3D paint (or export to a 2D paint program) to make the density and length maps, I used the scissors tool to trim around the snout, which for me is crude.  Granted, if I were truly planning on relying on the scissors, I would add a lot more guide hairs on the head.  But for the moment, I am concentrating on getting clean uv maps so that the length and density maps will be more predictable. 

This is a good opportunity for me to once again thank Tim and Roy and 3DAGE for their generous help and suggestions on unwrapping irregular shaped objects. It is not that I necessarily need to unwrap a washboard in a single piece (or minimum number of pieces), it is that seeing how someone would try to unwrap a washboard in a single piece ultimately helps me unwrap something like the head of this bear.

bear in hair room.JPG
    1673 x 854 - 140K
    Post edited by Diomede on