New 8.5 user! Some problems getting started...

Hello all,

I have moved up to 8.5!  My history with Carrara is a long one.  I modeled in Ray Dream back in the day, and moved up with Carrara through many an upgrade.  Now I'm trying to learn 8.5 and having some probs:

iMac user OS 10.7.5 :  Carrara 8.5Pro

1. First I can only load content using the Daz Loader, and it stores everything in the User/me/My stuff place.  When I try to load content directly to that directory, it doesn't show up.  So it works, but I'd like to be able to include my well-stocked Runtime from Car7Pro.  

2. When I load a model I just purchased (Bear Cubs) it loads up, then I add a pose, and it asks for the Runtime and whites the screen out.  When it loads, I have to resize the screen to get it all back, AND the poses are not clean, not as clean as I'm sure they should be.  I played with constraints on and off.  

I sure would like to get rendering again.  These two issues are getting under my skin.  

Any help would be appreciated,

Thank you,

Robert

Comments

• I reloaded Carrara 8.5Pro using the DazInstall Manager.  It was better.  I see more content.

But, I still have errors with some models and the white screen after adding a pose.  Anyone else having this prob?

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited February 2016

Hi

I'd like to be able to include my well-stocked Runtime from Car7Pro.

If you mean Poser and Daz type models,. those will show up when you add the runtime folder from your poser or Daz software installations

If you mean the carrara models and shaders whci come with carrara, and the models and shaders you have made and saved to the browser.

Anything you make and save, will be saved under "my documents" /daz3d/ Carrara (version) / My presets

you should be able to manually add that folder to the browser of your new install of Carrarra,. or,.. manualy move the files

The "Carrara native content" example models scene shaders etc,. are insalled when you install the "Carrara native content " it's a separate installer, and different from the main Application installer.

On the content you purchased and are trying to pose (bear cubs)

If you installed this content using DIM,. and you installed Cararra using DIM,. then Carrara should be able to see, show, and load the Daz content.

So,. if it;'s looking for texture maps or any other files for that product,.. it's probably not set up correctly

i'd suggest you get Carrara to search for all your available Runtime and Content directories and set them up in the browser for you.

I'm sorry i can't help with the mac stuff such as folder locations, or OS revisions, and white scereen,. althouh that's likely to be an open gl or graphics issue,. try switchin to softwae mode in the interactive renderer settings. but sort out your content directories first to eliminate that as the issue.

Hope it helps and get's you going

Post edited by 3DAGE on
  • I'm doing better now.  I like the interface of Carrara 8.5Pro.  Very similar to 7Pro, with a few differences.

Sure with I could find the serial numbers to the Digital Carvers Guild plug-ins I have.  I emailed the company, but no reply yet.

I'm still getting a white screen after loading some models.

Any siggestions for wonky models that only seem to work in Daz Studio?  Carrara poses are all jacked up when I load the poses, but look great in Daz Studio.

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

There are a few things Studio can do that Carrara can't, and having them in a .duf file will cause it to load incorrectly (this is where having a Poser .cr2 version available and using that sometimes works better).

- HD morphs and geographs on Genesis 2
    - Genesis 3
    - Instances
    - Translate motion rigging (usually seen in props, robots etc. This will cause weird pose effects, exploding pistons etc)

There's probably more; that's off the top of my head.

For those kinds of situations, the recommendation generally is to pose the model in Studio, then export it as an obj for Carrara.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

do you mean the panda bear cub?  (lamh fur)  

my first couple months with carrara i had no idea how to properly add a folder. 
    it wasn't until i bought the TP skies and domes bundles and it's readme.pdf i started to understand.