Carrara Challenge #23: “Fire And Water” - WIP Thread

1235»

Comments

• head wax said:

thanks diomede and wgdjohn

stezza and evil, ill keep that in mind when you come round for dinner ;)

stringtheory, that's awesome

Thanks head wax!

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634
    edited March 2016
    diomede said:

I hope there aren't any dinosaurs on that scifi planet, Wgdjohn.

I've limited access to a very powerful telescope but haven't spotted any... I think the planet is too young still.  :)

Credit must be given to PhilW's "Carrara 8.5 Tutorial Video", available from DAZ, for getting me to not give up on the Lanscape editor in Carrara. I'd tried it unsuccessfully a few times over the years with no success causing me to quickly give up. I'd watched PhilW part of the video about it quite awhile back and forgotten more than I remembered... but I was able to create a crude landscape. Since my entry I've watched it again and will create a better one or more next time. I was tempted to watch it during the contest by concentrated instead on a few other things in order to be done on time.

Thanks for your NPR tips, pics and instructions.

Post edited by wgdjohn on
  • chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202
    diomede said:

Anyone else having trouble seeing Bytescapes' latest post to the entry thread?

Shows up now..  Might have been a problem on my end.  Looks excellent, Bytescape, by the way.

Actually, the problem was on my end (a case of PEBCAK -- Problem Exists Between Chair And Keyboard). I think I've fixed it now. Thank you for your timely warning.

I've just realized that my image may not qualify: the contest rules say "Fire or Water", but the contest title is Fire and Water, and I only have fire primitives (no ocean). Oh well, it was fun to do anyway.

While I'm on the subject, here's my WIP image, which I previously posted in the other WIP thread -- which is apparently not the right one. If anyone wants to see more of how the image was made, I can post wireframes, close-ups or whatever.

All is Good you meet the requirements.

Sorry I could net respond earlier I have been sick and just feeling good enough to look at the thread and switch the entry thread to voting.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

Because I spam the WIP thread so much, I can understand that this question slipped through unanswered.  When in uvmapping mode, for a vertex object that has multiple shading domains, is there a way to display more than 1, but not all, shading domains?  For example, if an object has shading domains for face, lips, limbs, torso, and nails, is it possible to display just the uvs for the face and the lips?

diomede said:

Those who have followed the previous challenges know that I have made custom figures before, but this is the first time that I am really focusing on the pins, seams, uvmaps, and more traditional setup.  Here is the start of a second figure.  It will be the base figure for the dwarves.  I have created three texture maps, one for the head elements, one for the torso, and one for the limbs.

Is there a way to show more than one, but not all, shading domains in the uvmap editor? 

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    edited March 2016
    diomede said:

Because I spam the WIP thread so much, I can understand that this question slipped through unanswered.  When in uvmapping mode, for a vertex object that has multiple shading domains, is there a way to display more than 1, but not all, shading domains?  For example, if an object has shading domains for face, lips, limbs, torso, and nails, is it possible to display just the uvs for the face and the lips?

diomede said:

Those who have followed the previous challenges know that I have made custom figures before, but this is the first time that I am really focusing on the pins, seams, uvmaps, and more traditional setup.  Here is the start of a second figure.  It will be the base figure for the dwarves.  I have created three texture maps, one for the head elements, one for the torso, and one for the limbs.

Is there a way to show more than one, but not all, shading domains in the uvmap editor? 

Only by selecting and hiding the other shading domains. (It may be quicker to select the two domains you want to see then invert the selection -- depends on how many domains you have)

It's probably good practice to do that anyhow, since domains hidden throught the Display / Show All checkbox will still be operated on if you happen to click the vertices, even though you can't see them. (I've ruined a bunch of meshes without realising, that way!)

Edit: Even then, all domains will still be exported. There's no way to export 2 out of 3 domains (say) in a single operation. You'll need to do them one at a time and merge the maps in photoshop later.

Post edited by TangoAlpha on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

Ah, thanks.  I would never have thought of using the "hide" function.  Should have thought of that.