Modeling around a dummy?

Is there a way to model an object while having a dummy (or some other object) in the modeling window so you can shape the object to fit the dummy?

Comments

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

You can vertex model in the assemble room.

to get started, see here  http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/770055/#Comment_770055

and this youtube tutorial by Marc Texeira
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9ZsQ09ST_E

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,958

Is there a good source of tutorials that aren't video?

I'm having trouble figuring out how to do just about anything. :/

• Check out Diomede's first link, and then keep reading.

The tool placement will be different, and there may be some specialized tools unique to different softwares, but if you find a basic vertex modeling tutorial, you should be able to apply the tutorial to Carrara. Also, if you have some areas in particular that are causing you fits, it may help to break them down into specific questions. You may get help more quickly that way.

Dartanbeck has tried to collect many of the helpful resources in a thread stickied at the top of the forum called ►►► Carrara Information Manual ◄◄◄    There are also plenty of tutorials by topic in the forum. 

If you like to hold a reference book in your hands (I know I do), I recommend a used copy of the Carrara 5 Pro Handbook.  Don't buy it new!!!!!!!   On Amazon, a used copy can be had for under $5 if you look at the "more buying options" section.  But it is obviously out of date in terms of things like Genesis usage, softbody physics, and that sort of thing.  And, it is not free.

Even though you said you you are interested in non-video, I would still recommend a collection of free youtube tutorials by Cripeman.  They are each just about 5-10 minutes long and cover a single topic.  If you google Cripeman Carrara tutorial a bunch of his videos will get listed.  I'm sure most of them are listed in Dartabecks's inormation manual at the top of the forum.

And, of course, ask when you have questions.

My main focus here is 'how can I make a shirt?'

The big questions I have:

Ok, 'you can weld two objects.' Except... how do I have two objects in the modeler to weld?

Is there a way to mirror, so that you can easily work on a bunch of stuff, and just have it reflect over? Copy, invert, weld? But, again, two objects... how?

I've been trying to use 3D boolean, but it doesn't work very well. I'm used to old school Ray Dream Studio-era modeling, with extrusions and whatnot, so I'm trying to adapt to vertices.

edited February 2016

There is more than one way, but here is a link to a workflow that I posted in another thread.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/941921/#Comment_941921

In this workflow, I start with a Daz figure in the Carrara assemble room.

- I insert a vertex object, which sends me to the vertex modeling room.  But I want to model around the Daz figure, so I want to return to the assemble room.  I clicked the hand in the upper right part of te screen. 

-  Back in the assemble room with the Daz figure, I make sure the empty vertex objectis selected (yellow in lower right of screen), and thenclick the wrench i the upper left of the screen.  This allows me to use the vertex modeling tools in the assemble room (those tools now appear along the top menu).

- In that example, I used the menu Construct : 3D : Cylinder, and chose a small cylinder.

- After that, I primarily used the extrude tool to extend the mesh over more of the figure, or to extend the sleeves.  There is a symmetry box to be checked.  You should be able to see the the extrude tool circled in red at the link above.  That same thread has more tools highlighted and more of the menu explained.  It also has tutorials for other modelers.

I can't put up any new screenshots for a while because I have an annoying test render that involves a lot of transparencies and reflections. 

Post edited by Diomede on
    edited February 2016

Scroll down and start at the post that says

"OK, I am going to switch the screen shots to Carrara just because I think it is easier to see on the forum.  I am more focused on showing the TYPE of tool than the specific tool within Carrara.  Other modeling programs have similar tools, so find out what they are for the program you choose, but you will be using them in a similar way."

Post edited by Diomede on

Ha, I remember that thread from a while back but had no idea where to find it. Thanks, that's enormously helpful.

edited February 2016

... And suddenly the symmetry plane is in the wrong place. I can't find any documentation... how do I move the X plane back to the middle?

Edit: NM, found it! 'Model > Center Symmetry Plane on Selection'

Whew.

Post edited by Oso3D on
  • ... And suddenly the symmetry plane is in the wrong place. I can't find any documentation... how do I move the X plane back to the middle?

Edit: NM, found it! 'Model > Center Symmetry Plane on Selection'

Whew.

That's good to know about that command, because I had no idea! I consider myself somewhat intermediate, but more on the novice side of intermediate when it comes to the VM.

You could still extrude, and you can make and model more than one polymesh at a time in the vertex modeler.

The body of this Llama is made completely by extruding the head, limbs, tail, neck, etc. from what started out as a simple cube.

The eyeball was made some time ago, saved to my Object Browser, and loaded into the scene from there. I then opened the eyeball in the VM, selected the entire model, copied it, and then exited the eyeball's model room. I then opened the Llama's model room, pasted the eyeball into the model room, scaled it to fit, positioned it, and then duplicated it for the second eye. The eyeball retained the UVs that I had already created for it.

Llama test.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 292K
    sample2.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 707K

Yeah, now that I'm getting the hang of extrude and symmetry, the whole box modeling thing is starting to grow on me. (Also starting with a quad mesh, which is way easier)

• I'm assuming you wish to make conforming clothes? If so, when you get to the point where you want to rig it for use in Poser or Studio, I believe (I could be mistaken) that the thread Diomede originally linked to contains some information on what settings to use.

Actually, I'm going to cut myself a huge break and rely on that 'turn stuff into Dynamic Clothes,' because the notion of rigging makes me shudder.

For the curious, here's my first attempt:

http://willbear.deviantart.com/art/Fourarm-shirt-experiment1-593551369

Very happy with it. There are a number of minor mistakes and the UV map is laughable, but it looks 'right,' even as a first pass. Now that I've broken the ice on box modeling, may be experimenting further. Heh.

Thanks for the help!

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144

Looks very nice - having four arms makes it trickier!  I'd be interested in your feedback on DynCreator.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,579

Hey, you didn't model that around me!

• For the curious, here's my first attempt:

http://willbear.deviantart.com/art/Fourarm-shirt-experiment1-593551369

Very happy with it. There are a number of minor mistakes and the UV map is laughable, but it looks 'right,' even as a first pass. Now that I've broken the ice on box modeling, may be experimenting further. Heh.

Thanks for the help!

That looks pretty cool!

edited February 2016

I'm stepping carefully about DynCreator. I THINK the mods/Daz may not be thrilled with it, but I'm trying to infer from the lacunae of removed posts -- they haven't publically said anything (or said anything to me).

But... it's awesome. Worth 5x the price.

I have the full Dynamic Clothing plugin. The script isn't perfect, but it works about as well as regular Dynamic Clothing.

I'm experimenting with how dense a mesh you need to drape well -- it seems to be somewhere between 1k and 20k vertices. Using Instant Meshes really helps modify and play with values.

I'm not sure how well this will all work with more complex clothing. I also have to see if I can set up facets to make good extra surfaces -- seams that have different material zones, different Dynamic Clothing stiffness, and so on should add more versimilitude. Hmm.

I'm also not sure what the issues are with distribution. I'm sure I could share obj, but can I distribute the converted to Dynamic Clothing version? No idea.

Post edited by Oso3D on
  • 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

I'm also not sure what the issues are with distribution. I'm sure I could share obj, but can I distribute the converted to Dynamic Clothing version? No idea.

HI Will 

IF you "created" the model, then it's yours to do with as you please.

IF you "bought" the item,. then it's not yours. ...you have a licence to (use that "product") with limitations on distribution, resale, reverse engineering,  and/or usage.

So,. having created the forearm-shirt ,. from nothing,. in a modelling program,. It's yours,. and you can make that model available to others, in any format you choose,. whether that's a rigged conforming clothing item,. or a static prop model,. or a dynamic physics based model is up to you.

ShareCG is good and free

http://www.sharecg.com/

http://www.sharecg.com/3dage

Yeah, I think I might do that, for the handful of people who actually have four arms for Genesis. ;)

I already use ShareCG for my shaders...

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144

Thanks for the feedback - I was wondering the same about converted clothing.

The big issues are that unwelded or multi-part clothing can fall apart a little or a lot. I tried to turn a Wilmap dress into dynamic clothing and ended up with the skirt wandering away from the blouse. Maybe I could fix that, but it's something to consider.

I used DynCreator on a Medieval Cloak, which has ties and loop fasteners. The ties/loops scattered to the hinterlands quickly, though thankfully the parts that stayed put looked cool so I just made the errant bits invisible and called it a day.