It's getting hot in here

WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,038
edited March 2016 in Carrara Discussion

I discovered my CPU is running at 85°C and up rendering in Carrara, is it gonna cook itself to death?

I asumed it would just cut out if it overheated but according to Speccy that is the temperature, I was rather shocked when I saw that, usually only monitor my GPU with GPU-Z  and that stays well below 80°C even on heavy octane scenes in summer.

This is using Carrara's native render engine.

Intel Core i7 4790 @ 3.60GHz    
Haswell 22nm Technology

oddly my case is only just warm and my 980ti is only 54C motherboard 42C so is it accurate?

Untitled.jpg
890 x 591 - 82K
Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

Comments

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 18,032

That's not too bad. Worry when and if it ever gets 103C or higher.

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144

I think anything up to around 100 is acceptable, worry if it gets higher than that but 85 should be ok.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,038

well I hope so as googling suggests otherwise but thats mostly gaming use where it is mentioned, as said my PC does not seem hot, I never monitored it before though

odd I posted an image with my post and its gone?

this one

Untitled.jpg
    890 x 591 - 82K
    edited March 2016

WTF is back now after reopening the page? how odd

and revisiting it vanishes again, this forum software is messing with my brain

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202

In general they try to have laptops under 90C

With liquid cooling mine is at 60C at full 100 % after 24 hour rendering.

What you have should be now issue yet

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

caliente smiley

was expecting a hot hunk render when i saw thread title  lol

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,910
    edited March 2016

with liquid cooling on my machine it never gets above 38C on very heavy loads. What kinda cooling do you have? What is overheating?

Post edited by frank0314 on

Just so you know I had a i5 table PC that repeatedly overheated to 104C or 105C that eventually exploded the Li ion battery, fried the CPU, and even cracked and melted the gorilla glass screen. It would shut down at that temperature and it took many overheatings over several years, but it did eventually ruin the PC. This PC handled with Blender renders a temperature of 70C - 90C and didn't start overheating until the fans started clogging with lint and stopped being so effective.

well I do not use the Carrara render much these days and it's OK with Octane and iClone as they use my graphics card and that seems to cope better, it is a gaming set up after all.

it has not hit 90C but has reached 89 before dropping,and it does drop and rise as it renders each frame.

I may need to leave the Carrara native render and presumably 3Delight etc that use the CPU for cooler days it was 38C outside just ended Summer downunder.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964

summer never ends downunder :)

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited March 2016

I'm with Frank 0314

get hold of a little liquid cooler system,. (relatively easy to fit) if you've ever upgraded a graphics card or CPU,..it's a similar process

it's a little sealed pipe system,,. wih a fan to keep the liquid in the pipes cool,. and it sit's on top of your CPU and takes a lot of heat away

I got one a couple of years ago, (Silent knight) or something like that,. great, no problems and my system runs somewhere around 30/50

I also don't use any software to contiuously monitor my system temperature,

get a  thermometer, they're cheaper and use less cpu cycles  :)

Post edited by 3DAGE on
  • dbdigital2dbdigital2 Posts: 270

Usually the rule of thumb is over 65 it will shorten the life of your CPU.  GPU's genearlly can take more heat but still.  Laptops are designed to take more heat but I wouldn't let mine get to 80C.  Laptop heat shut off is usally at 100C or 101C.  Also when a computer shuts down due to heat, it is near thermal runaway, not "oh I am a bit hot and shut down" more like "I am getting severe damage here and about to explode so I need to shut down".  Another thing when a computer shuts down due to heat problems, the fan is off and the heat spikes WAY above the shut down point for a short period.  It is also why when there is a shut down it often takes 30 minutes to cool before the computer will boot again.  If the fans were running, it is often only a few minutes to cool by comparison.

Liquid cooling was mentioned, and while it is a nice idea.  I, personally, see it as a big risk.  Think about it, when have you never NOT seen a radiators in a car not leak at some point?  In a car it is a problem but a liquid leak INSIDE your computer?  One drip and you are usually dead.  Sure you can check it, but sooner or later it will fail, and I wouldn't trust it.  I suppose if you don't care if things fry and you just get a new one (or are getting a new system every year or so anyway), by all means.  If you want another compairson: fish tanks.  Many of us have had external filters leak at some point making one heck of a mess (which is the same kind of pumping system a computer liquid cooling system uses).  Now imagine that INSIDE your computer. :0

Something to check: Is there something else running besides Carrara?  Perhaps your Antivirus is trying to do a large scan or is scanning everything Carrrara is doing (shouldn't but I have seen werider things happen).  Disable it and see if that helps.  Another option is to install more fans in your computer case.  

And finally something you can do right now is limit how fast your CPU runs.  If you have Vista or newer (of course assuming you are on windows) go into control panel then power options (also might be under change battery options depending on your setup) then on the power settings plan you are on click "change plan settings".  Then on the bottom left click "change advanced plan settings" then in the popup window click the + next to "processor power management" and set your max to 80 or 90%.  Hit apply and see how your heat is then.  The render might take a little longer but not much and you won't cook your CPU until you can either install more fans or a better heat sync.  You can change the settings on the fly whenever you need to, rebooting is not required.  So you can adjust depending on what you are doing.

• 3drendero3drendero Posts: 2,024
    edited March 2016

Taken from a trustworty source and my bible in the matter of Intel CPU temps:

Sustained Core temperature greater than 80C is too hot for ultimate stability, performance and longevity.

( Although Intel processors are capable of operating above 90C, we also know that excessive heat kills electronics.)

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-1800828/intel-temperature-guide.html

Next steps:

Verify temps with HWMonitor and CoreTemp:

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html
    http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

If you render above 80 deg C, then check your cooling.
    Step 1: Is the case cooling working and correct? For example all case fans running and running in the correct direction to feed or pull air to/from CPU?
    Step 2: Is the CPU cooling working correctly? For example a BIOS update or reset to make sure that fan speeds ramp up to max when rendering.

Solution: If running stock Intel air cooler, any after market air cooler will be a major improvement. Water cooling is more for overclocking or customs needs (small space, warm office, 24/7 rendering)

Good luck!

Post edited by 3drendero on
  • EddyMI3DEddyMI3D Posts: 365

I agree to 3drendero,
    my CPU (AMD FX-8350, 4GHz, 8 cores) usually works at 45 °C, during rendering or gaming it has about 65 °C.

Sometimes a CPU gets warm or even hot, but keep the head as cool as possible...
    Maybe you should undust the vents and heatsinks.

Another thing that has not been mentioned (and I should have) when was the last time you cleaned or looked inside your computer case?  Dust builds up and acts like a blanket.  Vacuum it out, blowing is another option but do that outside.  Also either way you choose make sure to block the fans with a little zip tie or something so they won't spin while you do it.  A vacuum or blower will over rev the fans shortening their life if not outright killing them.

I actually have the side off my case as I blow a desk fan on my graphics card using Octane when the weather is hot, while that definately cools the card it may not be efficient for airflow to the CPU

I do blow it out regulary

I am actually questioning those readings though as it is at odds with everything else, I am meanwhile gonna stick to Octane until I can be sure

edited March 2016
    fool said:

I actually have the side off my case as I blow a desk fan on my graphics card using Octane when the weather is hot, while that definately cools the card it may not be efficient for airflow to the CPU

I do blow it out regulary

I am actually questioning those readings though as it is at odds with everything else, I am meanwhile gonna stick to Octane until I can be sure

Yes in general with the side off, the air flow is less efficient.  In general towers suck air in the front and blow it out the back.  With the side off the normal airflow is disrupted.  Granted with another fan blowing in there it is helping, but still you don't have the a sold current of air moving from the front to the back.  Think of a jet stream vs a scatter gun approach.  Every system is different of course, but that is the general idea.  I would add more/larger case fans than run with the side off.

I would try several cpu temp readers and see what they say.  I generally use Speedfan, or CPUID hardware monitor.  Although CPUID sometimes has to be calibrated manually depending on the system.  If the system is not dong anything, 40-45C is a normal idle temp.  Normal usage 50-55.   High usage up to 60-65, over that I start worrying especially with a tower.

Post edited by dbdigital2 on
    edited March 2016

well thats interesting, rendering a Howie scene got this

128C s#%t!

might be making a visit to the shop next pay ..........

Capture.JPG
    1166 x 653 - 144K
  • EddyMI3DEddyMI3D Posts: 365

Maybe the tool interprets the data a wrong way.
    You could try CPUID HWMonitor, or better, a tool from the mainboard manufacturer (MSI)

I tried CPUID HW monitor and it matches Speccy so speed fan giving wildly innaccurate readings

cannot find an MSI CPU temp app

I have blown the bugger out again with my air pump but might buy a can of air too

ripped my GTX 760 out too leaving just my 980Ti as that prob added unneeded heat and power and was not being used much except to boost CUDA cores for small scenes on Octane

Meh I broke off my spare PCI express slot, it went ping  I neglected to see a clip on it when I yanked my GTX 760 out, guess I am stuck with only one card now, thats a lot of little pins to solder!!!

• 3drendero3drendero Posts: 2,024

Bummer...

Here are the official MSI utilities, maybe you can just get the first one, LIVE UPDATER and it will download everything for you, otherwise just get the rest, at least the Command Center has monitoring functions:

https://www.msi.com/product/motherboard/support/Z87-G45-GAMING.html#down-utility&Win7 64

Get the BIOS updated, at least 1.7 to fully support your fresh CPU.

I have the live updater

Well, truthfully at 85C you're going to buy a new CPU before you burn that one up but at over 100C you'll probably burn that one up before you are ready to buy.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    fool said:

Meh I broke off my spare PCI express slot, it went ping  I neglected to see a clip on it when I yanked my GTX 760 out, guess I am stuck with only one card now, thats a lot of little pins to solder!!!

yowchhhh