Finding Content in C8.5 beta

Mosk the ScribeMosk the Scribe Posts: 888
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

I have most of my files categorized in DAZ 4.5.

Most of these files can be found/work in Carrara 8.5, but periodically I go to a category and have certain files missing.

How can I track these down?

For instance, here's a fairly standard one (that I had in a 'FAE' category - I can navigate to the fae category, but these files don't show up in the carrara content browser.

Here is the file's location on my hard drive:
C:\DAZ\Studio\content\People\Victoria\Clothing\Faerie Outfit
Included in that directory is Antennae.daz, dress.daz, wand,daz . . .

Do .daz files Not show up in Carrara's content browser?

I've tried searching all the places I could think and can't find a number of files.

Will try importing next, but didn't know if there was a better strategy for finding awol files.

Thanks

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

I don't believe C8.5 recognizes .daz files -- you need to resave them as .duf in DS4.5, or load the Poser versions and apply DS mats.

• Mosk the ScribeMosk the Scribe Posts: 888
    edited December 1969

Hey fixmypcmike -

Forgot about that . . .

So I now saved a few of these figures and props in DUF format -

They Show up properly inside the Carrara Content Browser and look to load normally.

But when I try to render an item, it freezes the program and I need to hit CTRL ALT DELETE to manually kill Carrara to get out.
    Tried this multiple times with several different items.

If instead of rendering, I simply drag the freshly loaded DUF figures and props one at a time into MyObjects area of the browser, then delete the originals, and then reload from the browser, I can render normally without any problem.

Hurray!

Except, it looks like the wings I imported this way lost all of their varied bend, twist, and up and down morphs which they possessed in DAZ Studio. Further, it looks like they have bones, but I'm not able to attach or detach skeleton, and I cannot select on a part (like left wing or right wing) to rotate manually - so cant' flap or otherwise adjust wings)

As much as I love Carrara, DAZ, and 3D, this one step forward one step back is absolute torture sometimes.

Any ideas how to work past this issue?

Thanks for the help.:down:

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

Hi Mosk :)

When you load genesis from the smart content , and then select the Actor,.. then you'll see the Bones of the figure, and you can move them, but because it's (Protected Content) you can't simply go to the animation menu and detach skeleton, almost in the same way that you can't do it with V3 or V4, unless you deliberately break the protection.

The Missing morphs issue may be due to the content being Non Genesis, and Auto fitted, since that was removing original morphs in clothing, but I thought this issue had been looked at and fixed in DS 4.5.

Any ideas how to work past this issue

You can start in Carrara, by loading as much of the content from the Smart Content and Browser as possible instead of using DUF and importing.

DUF is great for saving and transferring materials, poses, and most other things from DS, but it shouldn't become the default method of getting content into Carrara.

Use separate DUF files,.. instead of a single Daz Studio scene with lot#s of things in it,.. since, If you have any issues, it's easier to track those to a specific Item, pose, or Material preset in DUF format.

You can also save Character presets in DUF format from DS, which can then be applied to a Genesis figure loaded into Carrara through the Smart content Browser.

Hope it helps :)

• Mosk the ScribeMosk the Scribe Posts: 888
    edited December 1969

Hey Andy - thanks for the tips.

As for the items I was working with yesterday, some of these were wings that had nothing to do with genesis.

Initially, some files that I had in a !Special category in DAZ Studio weren't showing up in the Carrara Browser (where I can see my DAZ Studio Categories under the Smart Content tab, and I can see the !Special Category - but certain files don't show up).

Another DAZ member suggested that re-saving these figures and props in DUF format might let them show up in the Carrara Browser - so I did that, and it did indeed work - But as I mentioned earlier in this thread, those files would freeze Carrara when I tried to render them - Or, if I dragged those objects into MyObjects and deleted the original, would appear to load properly but would not give me access to the morphs or the ability to rotate individual parts (like left or right wing)

I don't think the AutoFit is part of the problem, because I didn't try to fit the wings to Genesis (or even have Genesis loaded in carrara or DAZ) - I'm losing the morphs simply bringing the file into Carrara.

Note - I just tried Exporting a set of wings from DAZ in DAE format, and upon importing that into C8.5 beta it shows up as FaerieWings3-skin AND FaieroeWings3 - with the regular hip>abdomen>chest hierarchy - and although the morphs are missing, I can at least select individual parts (like left and right wings) and rotate them independently

Can also export as object -retains the texturing - and then I can rig inside of Carrara (though morphs again don['t transfer)

Open to any other suggestions.