best upgrade from i7-950 ?

I was thinking of an upgrade for my cpu, but it's a lot of money and effort and I'm not really sure it will be worth it. I am currently using an i7-950 cpu with 4 cores; and I was looking at the i7-3930k with 6 cores...

- So my question is, will DS4 utilize all six cores when rendering ?

- And can I expect a 35% decrease in render times or do you think it will be less than that ?

Honestly it's a crapload of money because I live in a 3rd world country, and if it's less than 35% it won't be worth it.

I don't suppose network rendering will be available anytime soon right ? the standalone 3delight license fees are insane for my income.

Thanks.

Comments

• info_7ab70978f3info_7ab70978f3 Posts: 78
    edited December 1969

Get a 970 and keep the rest of you existing rig for about $425

• edited December 1969

I thought about getting a 6-core cpu for my current socket, but unfortunately there is no supply of these models any more.

• info_7ab70978f3info_7ab70978f3 Posts: 78
    edited December 1969

NIB on e-bay all day long $439.99 used for less

• StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167
    edited December 1969

awz4158 said:
    I was thinking of an upgrade for my cpu, but it's a lot of money and effort and I'm not really sure it will be worth it. I am currently using an i7-950 cpu with 4 cores; and I was looking at the i7-3930k with 6 cores...

- So my question is, will DS4 utilize all six cores when rendering ?

- And can I expect a 35% decrease in render times or do you think it will be less than that ?

Honestly it's a crapload of money because I live in a 3rd world country, and if it's less than 35% it won't be worth it.

I don't suppose network rendering will be available anytime soon right ? the standalone 3delight license fees are insane for my income.

Thanks.

1) Yes, 3Delight will utilize all 6 cores, 3Delight is not a Daz product, it's a Daz licensed product, licensed to use all cores.
    2) 35% is bordering on idealistic, but may be possible depending on the mobo config along with dozens of other factors.