best way to drasticly reduce rendering time yet not drop quality much?`

is there anything i can do to reduce my rendering times by hours without reducing quality much?  if so what and any recomendations?

Comments

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

Try upping the resolution.

Say you wand a 1000 x 1000. Render instead at 2k or even 3k, but stop at much few samples; the increased render size will take longer, but stopping early and then reducing the image to the required size will have some effect.

The most effective methods when using IRAY are to throw CUDA cores at the problem - ideally current generation graphics cards; these cost cash of course.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

Render VGA 640x480 size

• StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167

CPU renders get a faster CPU, if you use Luxrender you can render farm other systems, if you use Iray you cant

GPU renders get another GPU or a better GPU

otherwise a render at 4096x2048 is 4 times the size of a render 2048x1024 so do the math.

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241

Which application are you using?  (DAZ Studio, Bryce, Cararra, Poser, etc.).  And if you are using DAZ Studio are you using 3DL or iray?   Different applications and render engines will have different tricks that can be applied to help.

• StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167

displacements and shadows are the enemy of rendering in any 3D rendering engine - Ben Franklin (Patriot, Inventor, Blender User)

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,890

Avoid SSS and remove it wherever possible. Same goes for volumetrics (do them in post).

• ToborTobor Posts: 2,300

Good responses so far, but the mistake  most people make is not enough light in the scene. Render speed and the notion of "done" is based on convergence ratio; convergence ratio is based on ray hits; the more ray hits the faster the pixels can converge. It's simple math.

If you increase light to the scene, you can always reduce the light reaching the Iray camera. That's done with the Tone Mapping settings. A higher f/stop or shutter speed, or both, will do it.

• how do you avoid sss and remove it and volumetrics ?i use just daz 4.9

• V3DigitimesV3Digitimes Posts: 3,057

how do you avoid sss and remove it and volumetrics ?i use just daz 4.9

For very fast but less realistic, in the surfaces editor tab : SSS amount =0, eventually translucency weight = 0, but it will alter quality.

Why not lowering Max samples down to 1000 in the progressive rendering settings of the render settings? Often this is enough, even with DOF.

• Yeah I usualy render with max samples to 2000 to 1250 when rendering with iray. it does take an hour to render but i just wait and do other thing when its done.