body part not showing up

kaotkblisskaotkbliss Posts: 2,914

I had picked up Davo's 3 pack from over at that -otica site and I know they are old models made for poser, but the Egwa figure's body doesn't show up at all. all the other pieces show up and everything for the other 2 figures show up, but all I get for Egwa's body is a bounding box. (and not the grey "missing object" box)

I tried sending to Hex as well as exporting as an object, but it's as if there's no body mesh there.

Has anyone experienced something similar with a poser model and figured out a cause/fix?

*edit*

I guess I should mention that I'm purely a Daz user

Post edited by kaotkbliss on

Comments

• It's probably soem kind of grouping issue, or even a typo in the CR2 (if the whole figure is missing do you get two entries in the Scene pane - I've seen that with one or two items where different places innthe CR2 used different names for the figure).

• kaotkblisskaotkbliss Posts: 2,914
    edited March 2016

Thank you for your input

What do I do if it's a grouping issue?

All the main body parts show up (head, tail legs, etc) except the body.

*edit*

I think I see the problem. I looked at the log file and see that Daz removed the faces for the body (see towards the end)...

Importing File...
    Importing egwa.pz3 ...
    Reading egwa.pz3
    Reading egwa.pz3
    Reading egwa.pz3
    Reading egwa.pz3
    Reading egwa.pz3
    Reading egwa.pz3
    Reading egwa.pz3
    Reading egwa.pz3
    Reading egwa.pz3
    Reading egwa.pz3
    Reading egwa.pz3
    Reading egwa.pz3
    Reading egwa.pz3
    Reading egwa.pz3
    Reading egwa.pz3
    Reading egwa.pz3
    Reading egwa.pz3
    Reading egwa.pz3
    Reading egwa.pz3
    Reading egwa.pz3
    Reading egwa.pz3
    Reading egwa.pz3
    Reading egwa.pz3
    Reading egwa.pz3
    Reading egwa.pz3
    Reading egwa.pz3
    Reading egwa.pz3
    Reading ball.obj
    Warning: Wrong type of node for joint parameter on line 107354 in I:/Daz3D Library/runtime/libraries/character/davo_3_pack/egwa.pz3
    Warning: Wrong type of node for joint parameter on line 107390 in I:/Daz3D Library/runtime/libraries/character/davo_3_pack/egwa.pz3
    Warning: Wrong type of node for joint parameter on line 107427 in I:/Daz3D Library/runtime/libraries/character/davo_3_pack/egwa.pz3
    Warning: Wrong type of node for joint parameter on line 107464 in I:/Daz3D Library/runtime/libraries/character/davo_3_pack/egwa.pz3
    Warning: Wrong type of node for joint parameter on line 107500 in I:/Daz3D Library/runtime/libraries/character/davo_3_pack/egwa.pz3
    Warning: Wrong type of node for joint parameter on line 107537 in I:/Daz3D Library/runtime/libraries/character/davo_3_pack/egwa.pz3
    Warning: Wrong type of node for joint parameter on line 107574 in I:/Daz3D Library/runtime/libraries/character/davo_3_pack/egwa.pz3
    Warning: Wrong type of node for joint parameter on line 107600 in I:/Daz3D Library/runtime/libraries/character/davo_3_pack/egwa.pz3
    Warning: Wrong type of node for joint parameter on line 107637 in I:/Daz3D Library/runtime/libraries/character/davo_3_pack/egwa.pz3
    Warning: Wrong type of node for joint parameter on line 107674 in I:/Daz3D Library/runtime/libraries/character/davo_3_pack/egwa.pz3
    Warning: Wrong type of node for joint parameter on line 107700 in I:/Daz3D Library/runtime/libraries/character/davo_3_pack/egwa.pz3
    Warning: Wrong type of node for joint parameter on line 107727 in I:/Daz3D Library/runtime/libraries/character/davo_3_pack/egwa.pz3
    Warning: Wrong type of node for joint parameter on line 107773 in I:/Daz3D Library/runtime/libraries/character/davo_3_pack/egwa.pz3
    Warning: Wrong type of node for joint parameter on line 107795 in I:/Daz3D Library/runtime/libraries/character/davo_3_pack/egwa.pz3
    Warning: Wrong type of node for joint parameter on line 107817 in I:/Daz3D Library/runtime/libraries/character/davo_3_pack/egwa.pz3
    Warning: Wrong type of node for joint parameter on line 107839 in I:/Daz3D Library/runtime/libraries/character/davo_3_pack/egwa.pz3
    No bone found for otherActor on line 108024 in I:/Daz3D Library/runtime/libraries/character/davo_3_pack/egwa.pz3
    No bone found for otherActor on line 111020 in I:/Daz3D Library/runtime/libraries/character/davo_3_pack/egwa.pz3
    No bone found for otherActor on line 114416 in I:/Daz3D Library/runtime/libraries/character/davo_3_pack/egwa.pz3
    No bone found for otherActor on line 117734 in I:/Daz3D Library/runtime/libraries/character/davo_3_pack/egwa.pz3
    PZ3Importer: Removing face group BODY no associated node.
    Time to load file: 85887 ms
    Loaded image EGWA-SKIN.bmp
    Imported: egwa.pz3

Screenshot 2016-03-12 09.59.31.png
    1320 x 907 - 235K
  • Looks as if the issue is that the mesh for the body is assigned to the figure, not a bone. Fixing that should be possible but I can't recall the steps.

I'm guessing part of the fix then would be to go into joint editor and insert a bone, then somehow reassign the body to that bone?

• Or perhaps make a copy of the OBJ, import the figure as it now is into Figure setup, load the new OBJ, use it to replace the old and parent the existing bone chains to a new root node using the otherwise unclaimed group, then update the selected figure. I don't know if either of those will work but they may be worth trying.

Unfortunately all I have are pz3's and bitmaps. Unless the object can somehow be extracted from the pz3

• There's no OBJ in Runtime\Geometries? You can in fact copy the geometry lines from a CR2 (from the first f line to the last vt line), paste them into a new text file and save that as .obj if so.

edited March 2016

nope. there's only this directory in the original zip

\Runtime\libraries\Character\davo_3_PACK

and that contains a single pz3 and a bmp for each of the 3 characters

*edit*

sorry, that was after I added \Runtime\libraries\Character\

the original, original only had a single folder "davo_3_PACK"

and inside is EGWA.pz3, EGWA-SKIN.bmp, KLUTH.pz3, KLUTHSKIN.bmp, SACK-SKIN.bmp, THE-SACK.pz3 and UVSACKA.bmp

• Well, as I said you should be able to extract the OBJ - though a whole PZ3 is going to be a bit of a pain.

Alright, thank you.

I'll find out how to extract the obj and try your suggestion with the figure setup

Bleh, I've not been able to figure it out.

I extracted each body part out into an obj file then:

I've tried loading the original figure, then doing the "copy from selected figure" and loading the body obj I extracted from the pz3 in the figure setup, then redoing the bone chains. But that just caused countless crashes and when I did finally get it to work, I had even more missing pieces (only the head and eyes showed up)

I also tried setting up my own bone structure but beyond the base geometry, it wouldn't let me add any geometry to any other bone I created.

I think the best I'm going to be able to do is load the figure, then import the body and parent the body to the figure :(

• So you ended up with more than one OBJ? I hadn't thought of that as a possible issue, it may be possible to import each, name it as for the group name, and export all as a single OBJ to blend them together but that's getting a bit fiddly.

I opened the pz3 in wings3d

Found the body and extracted it to an obj

I then went into DS loaded the EGWA figure then opened the figure setup.

Selected the copy from selected figure

imported the body obj into the figure setup

Created a new bone for the body and loaded the body object to the geometry for the bone

Then I couldn't load any of the other figure's geometry because figure setup only wants obj files so I proceeded to export every piece of the figure from Daz as obj files

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,093
    edited March 2016

If you load the figure into Figure Setup don't the rest of the bones already have their geometry? If you open the CR2/PZ3 in a text editor isn't there a single block with the custom geometry? If so that is in OBJ format - just copy, from the first v (for vertex) lihne down to the last vt (UV coordinate - I think that is the last thing in the file) line to a new file, save as OBJ, and try importing that into DS to make sure it works and looks right.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

I'll try opening the pz3 in notepad

but when I select copy from selected in figure setup, all the geometry entries in figure setup are empty. I'll pull it up and show a screenie (which I probably should have done a long time ago anyway)

edited March 2016

Here's the screenshot I prommised

In the meantime I'll check out the pz3 in notepad

*edit*

in order to get the object to show I had to copy from the start of the block

actor BODY:1
     {
     geomCustom
      {
      numbVerts    4922
      numbTVerts    4922
      numbTSets     29520
      numbElems   9840
      numbSets    29520

through the v's, vt's and then a section of f's until I got to the closing }

I guess I'll try breaking out all the objects that way and see if I can't load them into the figure setup

Screenshot 2016-03-16 20.08.10.png
    1920 x 1080 - 440K