3delight throttles itself down?

the problem with 3dl is it wants to take your entire cpu 
so I got a little program to hold it at a max of 85%  of cpu 
---
dual xeons ... 16 cores...
---
started a render then about halfway through it slowed way down... 
after a while I noticed it's now only has the cpus running at 15% .... 
---
does it do something dumb like divide the scene up into a bunch of parts and then not reallocate when a part that renders quickly finishes?
It's at 98% done and the computer is down to 7% cpu usage... and yes, it's been sitting for an hour at this place...

Comments

• Trying to manage the CPU load conmstantly would probably result in a slower overall render, so yes when you get to the last few buckets you can find that two or more are in a single thread and are waiting for one core while the others are idle. That should not, however, kick in half way through - unless you havea  very large bucket size - though having a lot of cores available may tend to exacerbate the issue.

• problem solved... Uberenviornent2 1... don't know if it was installed with the scene preset but it does not like my characters.
    ---
    took 5 hours to render the image with those lights...
    switched over to other lights ... renders in 2 minutes 
    iray was 7 minutes...
    ---
    tried just the characters with the same light set and it flew for 1 min 46 seconds ... then starting ticking seconds without doing anything... but I could look at the render and see it was the same areas that took forever to render. 
    ---
    trying to figure out where the light set came from ... figure it was from the set but I'm redoing to check