Vertex Modeler...Add Edges?

Hiya!

I was going to hunker down and learn how to model in Carrara...but then I thought...why? I already have programs I know how to model in, and enjoy. So I'm not interested in learning how to model in Carrara, "full monty". I am, however, very interested in how to do a couple of "tweaking" type tasks for models that I import into Carrara (8.5 Pro).

First off...and most common for me to want to tweak... what is the tool for adding an edge between two other edges? Not vertexes...edges. If I end up with a triangle, for example, I may want to add an edge that connects to that triangle and another somewhere nearby (common for adding things like creases/folds in something made of of edge loops)...so I need to add an edge on one of the edges of the triangle.

Second, semi-related, is there a "Brush Selection" tool? If I want to select a series of edges that are not 'in line' with one another (ex: they are on an edge ring that loops around a characters nose, corner of mouth, and down under chin), is there a way to "brush select" them? I want to just 'paint' my mouse cursor over the edges and have them get selected as it moves over each edge.

Sorry for the 'newb' questions, but looking at the Carrara "Documentation"... ... ... didn't help at all.

Thanks!

^_^

Paul L. Ming

Comments

• otodomusotodomus Posts: 332
    edited March 2016

Hello there, asnwering to your first question, I think that what you need is to use the BRIDGE tool, you can connect whatever lenght size the edges would be, and they doesn't need to be aligned either, and also you can add divitions between them at the time that you hit the "bridge" icon a -/+ will appear indicating the number of divitions to get.

Here a sample of how to connect two edges:

Bridge Tool-1.png
    772 x 656 - 47K
    Post edited by otodomus on
  • TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

In the toolbar down the left hand side of the the vertex room, you'll see the three selection mode buttons: Marquee (box), Lasso, and Brush. By default, they're just above the little camera icon. :)

• de3ande3an Posts: 915

Try looking at these tools:

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144

I think what you are asking for is the Extract Along tool, which is in middle top group that De3an has so nicely illustrated. I think these are only in the Pro version and are very useful for adding edge loops and modifying existing geometry.

• pmingpming Posts: 44
    edited March 2016

Hiya!

Thanks for the "Brush" select... I never looked on the left...I use Alt for all my rotate/zoom/pan/etc movements, and have Universal manipulator 'sticky key' enabled. :)

As for the connecting part...heres basically what I want to do, using Hexagon as an example program becuase a lot of folks here are familiar with it:

...on a side note...Is there a "tweak" tool in Carrara? What it does is allow 'free moving' of elements (vertex, edge, poly) without having to select "move", or even us the widget/universal manipulator; you just click on an element, and move the mouse. Again, Hexagon has this tool, and that would be fine (although an XSI version would be best..:) ).

Thanks again!

^_^

Paul L. Ming

Post edited by pming on
  • RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247

..on a side note...Is there a "tweak" tool in Carrara? 

No...Hex's tweak is pretty unique - I've not come across anything similar in any other modeller.  It will only select one element at a time and you don't even need to be anywhere near the mesh to use it.  Click anywhere in the workspace and it will select an element, which can be moved freestyle and not confined to any axis.  Used in conjunction with soft select, it gives results similar to subsurf modelling using the cage, but without subsurf.  Very handy for organic modeling. 

• pmingpming Posts: 44

Hiya!

I quite enjoy it too...wish it had XSI's features too though. :) In XSI, it's Tweak tool also has three "icons" that show up at the bottom area of your viewport. These icons can be activated/deactivated. The two most useful for me are the "Magnet"...which lets you keep whatever element you are tweaking on the 'surface' of your object. In other words, it lets you "slide" Edges/Polys/Vertecise all over the meshes surface, without actually 'deforming' it unintentionally. The other one is basically a "snap and weld" that works on Vertecise only...but you basically just click and drag and it will 'snap' to other vertecise and weld when you release the mouse button. :)

Thanks at any rate, guys! 

^_^

Paul L. Ming

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247

In other words, it lets you "slide" Edges/Polys/Vertecise all over the meshes surface, without actually 'deforming' it unintentionally.

Herx has a similar feature, althogh that only works on edges and faces.  Snap and weld looks interesting - Hex has target weld, which I'm assuming gives a pretty similar result, without the need to move the vert.