Normal maps issues with IRay and Reality4

BookieBookie Posts: 82

Hello, 

I have a problem using normal maps with reality4. I created a NM for a kind of face acne. While IRay works perfect with my normal map, reality seems not take any notice of the map I put in the bump/normal map channel with 150% strength. See the Screenshot for better understanding. 

Btw, are people from runtime DNA here now? Tried to register in their forum to ask my question, but when trying this, I was redirected to Daz 3d.

Reality_NM_Render.jpg
1984 x 900 - 255K
Post edited by Bookie on

Comments

• BookieBookie Posts: 82
    edited March 2016

Here is the screenshot

Reality_NM_Render.jpg
    1984 x 900 - 255K
    Post edited by Bookie on
  • Can you tell me how you create the normal map in DAZ studio for the character? Im looking for a way to export a normal map now for three days but all I can export is a diffuse map.

I created the normal map in ZBrush, not in DAZ 3D. So I guess I cannot help you, sorry. crying

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited March 2016

Where in the Luxrender material is that map actually being plugged into?

If it is going to the bump channel, then no it won't have any effect...it needs to be a black and white/greyscale map for bump.  If it's going to the normal then I'm not sure what is up.

You can try asking in this thread, for more specific help/details...

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/72294/reality-4-2-learn-it-chat-with-paolo-wips-renders-showcase#latest

Post edited by mjc1016 on

It is plugged into the bump channel, so it is described in the reality manual. The manual says : NM should be plugged into the bump channel instead of a regular greyscale bump map. 

Thx for the link. yes

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,821
    edited March 2016

What Reality does is to combine the normal map and gray scale bump map, if it exists, into something it calls a Mix material. Because it's combined that way, you can't change the values; all you can do is alter the strength. Which frequently isn't enough. From what Paolo said when I asked about it in the new Reality forums, there doesn't seem to be a way to pull them apart so you can deal with values individually.

You can register for an account and post questions about Reality in the forums at http://preta3d.com/forums/

EDIT: Apologies, I misread the original question. That's not a Mix material, but apparently if there's a normal map in the Bump slot, it still doesn't allow you to change the strength, which doesn't make the slightest amount of sense. I would still ask in the Reality forum, just to be sure.

Post edited by vwrangler on
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    vwrangler said:

What Reality does is to combine the normal map and gray scale bump map, if it exists, into something it calls a Mix material. Because it's combined that way, you can't change the values; all you can do is alter the strength. Which frequently isn't enough. From what Paolo said when I asked about it in the new Reality forums, there doesn't seem to be a way to pull them apart so you can deal with values individually.

You can register for an account and post questions about Reality in the forums at http://preta3d.com/forums/

EDIT: Apologies, I misread the original question. That's not a Mix material, but apparently if there's a normal map in the Bump slot, it still doesn't allow you to change the strength, which doesn't make the slightest amount of sense. I would still ask in the Reality forum, just to be sure.

Doing  it that way just seems odd to me...so, yes, ask in either the new thread or the Reality forums.

• rubazeperubazepe Posts: 18

Mmmm  I used some normal maps in png format in reality 4.2 and they work fine.

The difference is that I used X-normal as my exporter for the normal map. X-normal is free and it's very easy to use.

Maybe you can try it.

yes

Thx for the hint, but I prefer sculpting in zbrush directly on the model and save this in a normal map. And in the IRay render you can see, that it works just fine this way. It seems, that relity 4.2 has a problem with the normal map.

Problem solved, I had to increase the strength up to 400% to show the effect. Thx all for your help.