Having trouble with smart content not showing up

I just can't see any Smart Content.  I've got Daz Studio 4.9 showing smart content.  I'm running on a mac.  My Smart Content Browser in Carrara 8.5 has a list but no content in the window.  The window is blank.

I installed the databast...  and refreshed metadata in daz s.  

Thanks for the help.

Any ideas?

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited March 2016

1. Do you have anything loaded into a scene and selected?

If not, no big deal. You'll just need to become acquainted with how that tab works in that situation. Smart Content is designed to help show you what you have installed which can work with whatever you currently have selected in the scene. So if you don't have anything selected, it's less smart, but we can still access content.

Either way, here's what we need to do: (I think)

In the Smart Content Tab (Carrara), simply click on "Files" or open its hierarchy to reveal the subcategories and select one of those to view your installed content.

IMPORTANT NOTE - It does take time for the database to fill this tab! So be patient!

You'll get different results depending upon what, if anything, is selected. For example, if you have Genesis 1 loaded into the scene and selected, the Smart Content tab will show what you have that works with Genesis 1. "Files" will show everything*, whereas the more specified categories will narow the search. 

I've never really liked the other two areas: "Categories" and "Products A-Z" because, well... they don't really seem to work the way I think that Smart content stuff should work. Products A-Z does have a nice listing of all products from A-Z, but I'd rather look for that stuff in the regular Content tab under "My DAZ 3D Library".

"Files" is the one that seems to work more similarly to the way DAZ wanted it to work in the first place.

Hope this helps ;)

SmartContentSelected.jpg
    1241 x 714 - 713K
    Post edited by Dartanbeck on
  • I have same same problem, and I'm also on a Mac. Neither Files, nor Categories, nor Products is showing anything (other than the A-Z list). It's all empty after the upgrade to DAZ Studio 4.9. I've held off upgrading to the PostgreSQL database server until I upgraded DAZ Studio yesterday, thinking "I'm sure Carrara will have an issue when I do that". How right I was!

So now DAZ Studio has successfully converted 400+ products and it's showing them fine in the Smart Content pane, but Carrara shows me neither Content nor Smart Content. Do I need to tell it manually that I'm using PostgreSQL, or should it know automatically?

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202

I run Carrara 8.5 Pro on the PostgreSQL and have few issues. One thing that may be occuring is that Carrara is failing to initiate the PostgreSQL CMS DataBase.

What you can try is to start DAZ Studio or DIM and while it is running then start Carrara. THat measn that the DB will be up and running and Carrara will use it.

Confirm if you are using the latest version of Carrara (re download it to make sure) as it only uses the PostgreSQL db and not the old V DB.

I use the Product A-Z tab all the time and have a few issues. I ensure that I have the poser versions installed as well as the Studio ones. If the studio one does not populate then I click on the next one which is the poser one and it works normally.

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    edited March 2016

Make sure you've set up the folder locations in the regular content tab. On my system the Smart Content didn't populate until I'd done that (guess it still needs to know where the library is).

Edit: Sorry, forgot I'd moved my content folders. The default location is /Users/Shared/My DAZ 3D Library

Screen Shot 2016-03-17 at 12.42.50.jpg
    848 x 491 - 192K
    Post edited by TangoAlpha on