Carrara vs. Studio Coordinate Systems (x,y,z)

No, definitely NOT interested in which one is better cuz I like them both.   I like to composite Carrara generated terrains with characters rendered in Studio; I'd like to be able to have the sun / directional lights match up as precisely as possible. 

If have the sun at these coordinates in Carrara (carrara xyx screenshot), what's the Studio equivalent to get a distant light rotated the same way?  If I try to use those same coordinates in Studio, the sun is rotated in a different direction.  Sure, I could 'eyeball' it, and get the lighting close, but was just wondering if there is some sort of translation system I can use to get the two match precisely.

carrara xyz.PNG
231 x 336 - 38K

Comments

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

You have Carrara set to use feet as a unit, Studio uses centimeters.  You will to do the math and convert, 2.54 centimeters to an inch, 30.48 centimeters to a foot.

• SauronLivezSauronLivez Posts: 147

Wow good catch! I'll give that a try as soon as I get off work, and let you know the results. Thanks.

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

If you're using Carrara's realistic sky and positioning the sun for different times of day, then "south" in Carrara matches "south" in DS. So if you set low afternoon sun in Carrara, then go into DS and set a late afternoon time in Sun/Sky, the sun should be in more or less the same place, although Carrara doesn't have the direct lat/lon/time settings that DS does.

BTW, you can change the units in Carrara to centimetres (select Scene in the Instances tray then the Interface tab at top right). You still need to factor that Y in Studio = Z in Carrara.