Help with saving a prop

I created two objects (wine glass and the wine itself) in blender, imported them into Daz Studio 4.9.  I parented the wine to the glass, and tried to save it as a Support Asset->Prop Asset, but it only saved the parent.  The "Smart Parenting" checkbox in the dialog when I went to save was greyed out.

How do I save parented objects as props (or anything else, for that matter)?

The documentation was less than helpful.

Comments

• macleanmaclean Posts: 2,438

You used the wrong save option. Here's how it works.

With the wine parented to the glass and SELECTED, save as Figure/Prop Asset and check Smart Parenting. It will now load smart-propped to the glass. The glass can be anywhere in the scene, and as long as it's selected before you load the wine, the wine will always appear in the right place.

However, in your case, I think it would be smarter to save them both together, unless you want to load the wine as a smart prop for other glasses. To do that, parent the wine to the glass and select the glass (ie. the parent), then save as Scene Subset. The dialog will expand to show that both are selected, and they'll save as a Set - ie, 2 props in one file.

But.... in theory, you should first save the geometry for each object as a Fig/Prop asset, so it goes into the data folder, along with any morphs you might have. I always save each object as an aset first, then save both togther as a Scene Subset.

• TabascoJackTabascoJack Posts: 865

Thanks!  You've helped a lot.  I also now understand the difference between Set and Prop, which is good to know.