Carrara Challenge #23: “Fire And Water” - Voting Thread Now Closed

2»

Comments

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945

So much excellent entries, impossible to make a choice...

The quality of the entries are growing up each month !

Congratulations everybody !!!

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202

And the Vote Tally is in.

With the little help of one of the forum mods tie was broken and now we finally have the winners:

FIRST PLACE (11 votes): Stringtheory9 - Entry 9 -"Neptune vs. the Volcano"       Prize: $100.00 towards DAZ 3D owned item(s)

SECOND PLACE (8 votes): head wax - Entry 11 - "Smells Like Eggs"         Prize: $50.00 towards DAZ 3D owned item(s)

THIRD PLACE (7 votes): Stezza - Entry 4 - "Match IT"        Prize: $25.00 towards DAZ 3D owned item(s)

Honorable Mention / New Contestant (4 votes): Bytescapes - Entry 10 - "That Hellbound Train"        Prize: $10.00 towards DAZ 3D owned item(s)

Congrats to ya all and thanks for Entering smiley

Hope you all play again next contest.

P.S.

Dear winners, ya all have messages in you inboxes.

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496

Congratulations to the winners!

There were a lot of really great entries this month, can't wait for the next one. :)

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326

Great job, all! 

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964

yes congrats everyone, great to see the quality of the work ;)

head wax said:

yes congrats everyone, great to see the quality of the work ;)

Man, it really is! I love these contests! You done good, Mr. Head Wax, for getting these things going! Thanks, man!

pleasure Dart, it's nice to see a sense of community here ;)

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634

Grats to the winners... well deserved. All, excepting myself, did Very Good. I on the other hand am stil improving on my scene.

Thanks go to chickenman for pushing some of us into using Carrara features which are too often not used and also to use them in different ways.

wgdjohn said:

All, excepting myself, did Very Good.

Oh man... why would you say such a thing? You don't like your render? 

I love it! The colors grabbed me right away and there's some fantastic technique going on in there. Congrats to You Too!

Everybody has some stiff competition in these things!

and the clean graphics of FireStorm on Nevendore,

its a good image wgdjohn, it's all a matter of taste who votes for what, people like photoreal sometimes. personally I like your graphical approach and wish I could do things like that

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144

Well done to the winners, and all who made entries, it was genuinely very tough to pick out just three, as all were great!

edited April 2016
    wgdjohn said:

All, excepting myself, did Very Good.

Oh man... why would you say such a thing? You don't like your render?

Why is easy to answer... I am my worst critic... being a perfectionist doesn't help either.  I do like my render however... There were a number of things that I wasn't quite happy with and others that I wanted to do but didn't have the time to mess around with to perfect... which I'm now doing. I now have your Starry Sky package and also found a better setting in StarBright to incorporate even more, hopefully, very tiny stars for the very distant ones. I have worked out a way to create a color nebula using fog and adding shaders for effects. I'll not bore you with all I need to work on. This was my first contest entry and I didn't expect any votes when I had the idea... after posting my final entry I'd thought there might be a slim chance... then the competition's work just seemed to get better and better.

I'm grateful to those who liked my render whether they voted for me or not. The artwork was great this month and voting was especially hard... there were many that I wanted to vote for. I'm looking forward to next month... I'm hopeing to enter again soon.

Post edited by wgdjohn on
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,989

Yep, good job to all that entered the challenge... A great way to try stuff out and have fun and to see how all you peoples do stuff..

• bytescapesbytescapes Posts: 1,831

Great challenge - thank you to chickenman for organizing it, and congratulations to the well-deserved winners. And to everyone else: all the entries were impressive (with the exception of that garish mess by that guy bytescapes, of course ... wink ).

edited April 2016

I thought all of the Entries were very well done.

I am glad that so many took the time to compete especially the newer people. I hope you all had fun with it and it made you think of uses for the fire and water in ways you may not have thought of or to try them out in the first place.

To all the new competetors, Keep up the good work each of the images showed good work and your skills will continue to improve if you keep doing these challenges. They will force you to learn and get better. Even if you do not get your final image entered, everything learned on the way is good and feel free to look back through previous contests. The intent is to use them as learning vehicles to improve our knowledge of the tools and how to make them do what we want to achieve our visual outcome.

WDGJohn  if you check out the Above and Beyond contest WIP thread you can see how I made a the worm hole for Deep Space Nine render. Others also indicate other methods of how to try to accomplish the same thing.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/60434/carrara-challenge-19-above-and-beyond-wip-thread/p1

AGAIN VERY WELL DONE ALL!

Post edited by chickenman on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

Congratulations to the winners and participants. I really hope that everyone recognizes how much I enjoyed each render, even though I couldn't vote for them all.  Stay motivated, and please participate whenever you get a chance. 

Also, great job by fowl hombre (chickenman).  The fire or water primitive requirement worked out very well.  Good decision.

thanks Chickenman, the things were in my cart, but I screwed up and gave you the wrong email address !! that's why Daz couldnt find them :(  apologies, :)

edited April 2016

Chickenman, very good work you did for Challenge 19. Oddly enough your wormhole looks a bit like my nebula does so far. Even more odd is that I was thinking earlier of combining more than 1 fog primitive for more color variation.

This contest was definetly FUN. Contests help in Learning to work with a deadline.

Post edited by wgdjohn on

Cool! I really love using Carrara's Fog, especially as nebula gasses! :)

wgdjohn said:

Chickenman, very good work you did for Challenge 19. Oddly enough your wormhole looks a bit like my nebula does so far. Even more odd is that I was thinking earlier of combining more than 1 fog primitive for more color variation.

This contest was definetly FUN. Contests help in Learning to work with a deadline.

I used 2 fog primitives with different properties and colors and also have a colored light pointing at it only.

I take it, by seeing the new contest thread, that String Theory won? I never saw a Winners! Announcement :(

edited April 2016

Ahhh! Found it!

Congrats to all!!!

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
    wgdjohn said:

I used 2 fog primitives with different properties and colors and also have a colored light pointing at it only.

Thought there was a light pointed at the "wormhole". So far I have a few fog primitives with various settings... looks fairly good so far... distant stars are visible in various places. Used images from NASA.gov for reference... not that what I have looks like any of their pics.