putting Anubis' head onto genesis/M5?

gabugabu Posts: 303
edited December 1969 in The Commons

How do I do this?

I want to retain M5's body but morph his head into Anubis.

I tried selecting genesis's head and sliding the Anubis character control but the whole genesis character changed rather than just the head.

The general question is: can you selectively morph genesis body parts?

Comments

• riftwitchriftwitch Posts: 1,405
    edited December 1969

On the shaping tab, select the head category; there should be a morph for just the head. Anubis also has a morph for just the legs.

• JabbaJabba Posts: 1,460
    edited December 1969

select Genesis figure then try looking here...

Parameters - Actor - Head - Universal - Fantasy SciFi

the Anubis Head slider should be visible in your list (if not, reset download of Anubis - if I recall correctly it was an update that allowed more than just the single full bodymorph)

• gabugabu Posts: 303
    edited December 1969

Thanks.

So it is not an automatic capability with DS4.5, the 'sending' character has to have been enabled for it to happen?

edited December 1969

luxgabu said:
    Thanks.

So it is not an automatic capability with DS4.5, the 'sending' character has to have been enabled for it to happen?

Any Genesis figure can be altered with the sliders for that instance of the model, no need to transfer from one instance to another. Simply save as a morph preset if you want to use it later.

That said, I might be misunderstanding what you're trying to do.

image below is M5 with Anubis Head applied...

M5_Anubis_Head.jpg
    800 x 1317 - 188K
    edited December 1969

That image is exactly what I had in mind (I got the idea from David's avatar in the film '.Hack, the Movie').

However I had a more general question of whether any selected genesis body part could take the shape/morph from another genesis figure's corresponding body part - a bit like some mad scientist/Frankenstein creating a monster/chimera from bits of different characters. The flexibility of genesis should make this possible. So I was wondering whether DS4.5 would enable that to be done but it looks like it hasn't got quite that far yet. It looks like the contributing bodies have to have explicitly enabled their morphs to be used like that, as with the Anubis character giving the options of just the head or legs able to be used.

edited December 1969

ah right, that's not going to happen as a software feature, more a question of what separate morph sliders the character creators want to share in their products e.g. isolated head & legs as well as a full figure morph.

edited December 1969

True, alas.

But you never know. By the time DS10.0 arrives it might have that capability. Code name 'the Island of Dr Moreau'.

My Frankensteinian desires will have to wait.

edited December 1969

I don't know if you already have the creature creator morphs or not, but if not, well worth adding your Genesis 'genepool' if you like to play around with the more monstrous side of Genesis :)

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/genesis-creature-creator-bundle

• Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited December 1969

luxgabu said:
    True, alas.

But you never know. By the time DS10.0 arrives it might have that capability. Code name 'the Island of Dr Moreau'.

My Frankensteinian desires will have to wait.

Text and Hex editors are a mad computer scientists best friends. :-)

Kendall

edited December 1969

I think I need to get a much better understanding of how genesis and so on works before I can meaningfully get to use text and hex editors! But I hadn't thought of that.

I do have the creature creator morphs but rejected them when I couldn't get a head shape anywhere near as good as Anubis's. I will have another look at them.

But it does look as though I will have to get more into 'bespoke' character design as I am starting to firm up my particular 'tastes' in 3D image making.

edited December 1969

maybe time to try a bit of sculpting if you can't find what you're looking for.

Hexagon's not as versatile as ZBrush but it can do quite a lot that people don't realise (including me until quite recently)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mC7kKWR6Nws

...and since it's currently free, a great place to get started.

• SkirikiSkiriki Posts: 4,975
    edited December 1969

Note -- for the best results, mix other forms offered by creature creator and other Genesis content.

For example: This is a bastard offspring of MS Lycan, Anubis, Strigoi and some other things.

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,967
    edited December 1969

And this one goes a little the other way, using mainly geo-grafted goodies for that 'Fraknestein' appeal ...

edited December 1969

Thanks for the suggestions.

My mind is almost exploding thinking about the possibilities.

I hadn't even thought of geo-grafting. Are there any tutorials on it around?

• DWGDWG Posts: 770
    edited December 1969

Jabba101 said:
    ah right, that's not going to happen as a software feature, more a question of what separate morph sliders the character creators want to share in their products e.g. isolated head & legs as well as a full figure morph.

Just to expand on this for the OP, the ability to do it is already there, it's just not something that is currently being provided by vendors, probably because there is no significant demand for it. Heads as separate elements is a historical thing from people using dialed morphs for bodies and sculpted morphs for heads, but it's only with Genesis that we've started to see substantially different limb forms being available in character morphs.

I've actually been meaning to have a poke around in the guts of the Creature Creator FBM morphs for a while to see if it's possible to split them into individual limbs. I did have a look at the Gen 4 versions a while ago, but got bogged down in all the redirection the different layers if files do, but I've got a much better grasp of the Genesis file structure now that I think of taking another turn at it. If it is possible then the same methodology could be applied to any full body morph, but it would mean hacking .DSFs apart in an editor.

• SkirikiSkiriki Posts: 4,975
    edited December 1969

luxgabu said:
    Thanks for the suggestions.

My mind is almost exploding thinking about the possibilities.

I hadn't even thought of geo-grafting. Are there any tutorials on it around?

Here's a quick and dirty how to. blondie9999 is writing an advanced rigging manual, with geo-grafting in it too, or so she said in Aquatic critter for Genesis thread.

edited December 1969

Thanks for the link to the tutorial.

At least it will give me an idea of what has to be thought about with geografting.

However, I think I will leave it till blondie's manual comes out which I am sure will be very thorough.