Bryce 5 still available to download anywhere?

2»

Comments

• JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited July 2018

Yeah, Hansmar...I found your re-installing suggestion quite useful, and I also recall Horo saying (hope I'm not mis-quoting) one time never to open a Bryce file, say, from where it lies in a directory file on one's computer, but open it from within Bryce after being launched. Of course, the Large Address Aware thingy has helped enormously too with few crashes.

Btw, I got Bryce 5 a way long time back on a free CD that came with a magazine (I still have the CD here somewhere, but, darn it, I lost the case it came in which had the series of code numbers for registering it). But that said, I'm happy enough with the current version of Bryce.

Jay

Post edited by Jamahoney on
  • Fire AngelFire Angel Posts: 254
    edited July 2018

As has been stated several times in this thread Bryce 5 is no longer available unless you actually bought it, or Br 5.5  through the Daz Store.

Bryce 5 can sometimes be bought on eBay on CD.  It takes patience and persistence to get it, but it could be worth it if you want to put together complex scenes.

Post edited by Fire Angel on
    edited July 2018
    Chohole said:
    Horo said:

Fire Angel - set the width in the picture dilogue and the height is automatically adjusted to the correct aspect ratio. The width limit is 800 pixels and if you don't set it, the sofware squeezes the picture. I won't argue with you about the quality of this forum software, I'm actually not a big fan of it.

The reason for the problem with width on image display is not entirely due to this forum software.  It is because people are using a plethora of different devices with which to browse the forums and transmit their image files,  these include, as well as laptops and desk tops,  ipads ,notepads, smart pads, not so smart pads, note books, iphone, smart phones, dumb phones, ebook readers,  kindles etc. Some of these are not really meant to be used in landscape view, and some have a width limit of 768 pixels.   You will note that it is not all images that corrupt. The poor software is doing the best it can with some of the different formats that get thrown at it, but sometimes it is the device that has been used to upload with that causes the distortion.

As you say, if you use the image dialoguw, with the padlock enabled, and set the width to 800 you sould still have an original image that can be displayed at full size when cilcked on.

No.  The problem is the forum software, which is of poor quality.  Every other forum I have ever used that permits images does it better, on any device I care to throw at it.  EDITED to add: Even Renderosity's forum software, which I consider rather poor, handles images better than the DAZ forum software does.

edited July 2018
    Horo said:

Fire Angel - The "problem" the scene shown will not save in Bryce 7 is because since Bryce 6 the source file is compressed first in memory and then saved to disk. This compressing takes a lot of additional memory. Compressing the source file was already a "bad move" in my opinion considering Bryce is still a 32 bit application and memory is soon at a limit. If compressing would be done streaming directly to disk - and again when loading the scene, compression could work - though it would be much slower.

Yes, absolutely, the file compression was a waste of programmer time that could have been used to do something more useful, like fixing the many bugs that DAZ introduced into Bryce each time they updated it.  Bryce 7 Pro has many advantages but stability is not one of them, especially compared to earlier versions.  The most stable versions of Bryce ever were 3.1 (I still have the install disk for that!) and 5.01.  I love the instancing feature but the reduced stability does annoy me at times.