Cubes are no good!

EddyMI3DEddyMI3D Posts: 365
edited March 2016 in Carrara Discussion

Hello!

I'm just working on a new scene with G2F. I attached a dynamic hair to the head and a wine glass to the right hand.

When I loaded the scene again, C8.5 mocks about objects that can not be found and that they are replaced by tubes.
Exactly the two props I mentioned before: the hair and the wine glass.
So, G2 seems not to work in Carrara as assumed, and good old V4 is in service again.

Any idea what could be wrong?

Thanks for help,

Eddy

Post edited by EddyMI3D on

Comments

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited March 2016

I don't think this is a G2 problem.  I think it is a Carrara save problem.  I've had that happen with a dynamic hair prop that I had attached to a custom created figure.  It is rare for me.  Also so far, it has only happened with dynamic hair for me.  In one of the threads, someone suggested that it had to do with either the order things are saved, or maybe where (in the sense of to the object browser first or "save as" first - not really sure.  But again, I don't think it was reported as a G2 problem.

Post edited by Diomede on
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326

I have no idea what causes that, and it seems to me to be somewhat odd and random, and may be related to updates to the figure in the library, and that Carrara-saved files are no longer DUF, which may just cause disagreeances with... well... I'm reaching here because I really don't know what it is.

I've then built the same thing over again from the library, saved again, and get a good save/reload, so....

It is frustrating, though, and it causes me to used earlier figures as well, and I'm fine with them as I was when I started - even more so. 

I'm experimenting in new ways to work with the DAZ Studio figures and their content, which is a kind of a simple workflow between Carrara and DAZ Studio. No inner software bridge exists for such things, but the method I'm using doesn't need one anyway, and my hefty Carrara workstation isn't bothered by running both at the same time so... well it's fairly new stuff and I'm working hard on it and a bunch of presets and stuff set up to get it to a point where I can present it to everyone - see what you all think about it.

(Michael 6 Shape on Genesis 2 Male/Genesis 2 Male Iray Shaders in DAZ Studio 4.9 Iray render)

I can say this: Since DAZ Studio and Genesis Technology are synonymous, it just feels right (to me, at least) to use those together, and then use Carrara for what it's best at. Put the two together and I have something that's incredibly nicer than trying to do it all in either app on their own. I'll explain better when I have it finished. But it's really exciting to me because of how 'state-of-the-art', 'top-the-industry' Genesis is as far as 'realism' in 3D human, rigged figures. Realism in appearance as well as animation setup. Carrara totally rocks at being able to handle carefully planned large-scale scenes - animated, still, pretty much anything anyone might want. It still perplexes me as to why Carrara isn't more popular for digital artists across the globe. It such a "Where there's a Will, there's a Way" program. Anyways... 

Made in Carrara, rendered in Iray wink

Oh... and you're right, Eddy. Cubes (in this situation) are No Good! indecision

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050

I hear you Dart! My leading lady lost her cubes- I'd explain, but you'll see for yourself soon enough, he said cryptically so that only he and Dart knew what the hell he was talking about... ;-)

I hear you Dart! My leading lady lost her cubes- I'd explain, but you'll see for yourself soon enough, he said cryptically so that only he and Dart knew what the hell he was talking about... ;-)

I know, buddy... I'm sorry. That's what happens when I answer posts while I'm right in the middle of getting that 'roller coaster gut hit' feeling from awesome pixels pouring onto my drives from this slick, grand device known (barely) as Carrara 8.5 Pro! Things will get much less cryptic very soon! ;)

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    I meant I was being cryptic. ;-)
    I meant I was being cryptic. ;-)

We're both being cryptic because that's what we do. We mess with each other and inspire art... and it's really fun!

A bit back on topic, I must say that I really enjoy working with the fourth generation figures. I have a decent collection of aniBlocks, animated PZ2s, and BVH files that really help me on my way - and shading them in the texture room has become an enjoyment all its own... and I think they look great, too. ;)