Can't find my multipass layers - Solved

DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
edited March 2016 in Carrara Discussion

Trying to use the multipass rendering feature and saving to Photoshop format with layers.  I selected object index and a few others in the multipass selection box.  I chose Photoshop format for the output file.  I saved it to my desktop.  I open the resulting photoshop file and I can't find any of the multipass layers.

EDIT: I tried looking on my scratch disk just in case, but not there either.

multipass settings.JPG
348 x 996 - 58K
saving todesktop.JPG
261 x 973 - 24K
only background.JPG
419 x 228 - 18K
Post edited by Diomede on

Comments

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050

I have that sometimes. Select each one and see if the embedded option is available. Not all are saved in PS, and some are, but aren't under the Layers, but are under Channels. Also, make sure to click the Options button where you choose Photoshop, choose Photoshop 7. I think it defaults to 3. Following this method 95% of the time it behaves as expected.

The passes should be rendered. Look for them in the same folder that you chose as the destination under Named File.

• EddyMI3DEddyMI3D Posts: 365

Does it save in another format, e.g. single file PNG?

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    EddyMI3D said:

Does it save in another format, e.g. single file PNG?

That's waht I do to get individual files for each pass. But I think that the PSD option just saves it all into one PSD file, as evilproducer explains above.

I really enjoy having the individual files for having access to them individually in, say, Fusion, Howler, Carrara, etc.,

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326

I did notice that there's a "Merge Results" check box below the multi-pass box. Does that make a difference in this case?

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,038

if I add normal maps etc to my image series they just render to the same location as my other images, never use the temp folder as the bugger always clears when you do not want it to and never otherwise.

I have rendered animated normal maps this way a fair few times never any issues

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

Aaaaargh.  Thank you for your suggestions, but nothing is working.  Most annoying.

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

check your channels,.  RGBA ,. some layer information can be in there rather than a "Layer"

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964

I always save  it as PNG that way, as Dart said , you get the individual files and you dont have to go and untick 'embedded' for them all.

I also save with a named file, that way you dont have to go an name all the render passes - saves a lot of time.

I was rendering my scene using the NPR renderer and not getting the multipass renders.  I changed the same scene to Photoreal rendering and then got my multipass.

Interesting...

Personally, I prefer to do that non-photo real stuff in Photoshop. Much more control, renders faster and if you don't like it, you can always change it up without having to re-render the thing.

If you have an animation, then you can render to an image sequence, and use Image Ready to apply the filter to the whole lot and then compile that into a movie file.

Looks great, EP.  Yes, to the extent that Photoshop has a filter that matches what you want, that is an excellent way to go.  Here is a photoreal Carrara render with some Photoshop water color filter features applied. Works fine, in my opinion.  But I'd still like to get a better knowledge of Carrara's NPR render engine because I think its power is still unknown - rather than known to be more or less powerful than Photoshop filters.

j pied piper filtered.jpg
    1200 x 1553 - 1M

Nothing wrong with gaining knowledge, that is for sure. Experimenting with that is cool and I wasn't suggesting that you shouldn't keep plugging away at it. For me, it is time spent Vs. return. I've experimented with the NPR in the past and decided I liked using postwork better. The rendering process with the NPR seemed much slower and the limitations that you are running into were not acceptable to me.