Where to buy Spanish Conquistador Helmets 16th century?

WhiteWineWhiteWine Posts: 22
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Hi folks,

I'm looking for helmets in the design of the Spanish Conquistadors of the 16th century.
(The best look would be like the helmet Klaus Kinski wore in the movie "Aguirre - The wrath of God"

Quality content for purchase would be best

freebie with lower quality would be fine too

I'm even open for placing a commission if someone in interested in creating one.

greetings

Lee

Comments

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969
  • WhiteWineWhiteWine Posts: 22
    edited December 1969

thank you mjc1016! I hadn't found this helmet yet and it surely will be helpful for my project!

There Helmet Klaus Kinski wore in the movie "Aguirre - The Wrath of God" had a way different shape - so even though I can use the "Morion" a lot I'm still looking for other types of helmets.
    :)

Thank you again!

• bytescapesbytescapes Posts: 1,830
    edited December 1969

LeeMellon said:
    ... Helmet Klaus Kinski wore in the movie "Aguirre - The Wrath of God" had a way different shape - so even though I can use the "Morion" a lot I'm still looking for other types of helmets.

The Morion (or 'comb morion') is the classic Conquistador helmet. Aguirre's helmet in Herzog's film looks a little like a similar helmet, called a cabasset, but while the cabasset doesn't have a 'comb' at the top, it typically seems to have a narrow brim, which Aguirre's lacks.

Stephen Minta's book "Aguirre" makes it sound as if Herzog almost downplayed Aguirre's degree of insanity. "Mad, bad, and dangerous to know" barely begins to describe him.

edited September 2012

Well, after a little digging, the type of helmet used was a sallet helmet.

It wasn't really a popular Spanish item in the 16th century, if ever (much more popular elsewhere, like France...and in the 14th century and earlier).

So here is a 'rough draft'...

It needs a little refining along the edge (going to go with a rolled edge), the rivets, chin strap and probably a ridge down the center. And then it needs to be sized to ??? (M4/V4, Gen, etc)...DAZ or Poser format and textured???

salletlux.jpg
    600 x 750 - 99K
    sallet.jpg
    600 x 750 - 78K
    Post edited by mjc1016 on
    edited December 1969

@angusm

The keyword "cabasset" gave me some nice nice pictures of helmets on google.
    I'm pretty sure that some of Aguirres men wore that kind of helmet.
    Unfortunatelly I haven't read the book but I really like the movie and the story.

edited December 1969

@mjc1016

Looks pretty much like the "sallet" is the helmet of Aguirre.
    And your rough draft looks aready very nice! :)

I would be happy about a .obj file with some material zones.

I use DAZ Studio 3.1. advanced.

Thank you for having a look on this topic! :)

edited December 1969

Well, here's another shot with a little more work done. No chin strap, yet.

I'll leave it sized as it is, as it's scaled to M4, as seen in this shot.

Right now it's got a crude UV map and 2 MAT zones (the helm is one and the rivets are another.

salletlux2.jpg
    600 x 750 - 70K
    edited December 1969

Well, couldn't leave well enough alone...so here's a cabasset, too.

They'll probably be ready to go up Thurs or Friday.

cabasset.jpg
    600 x 750 - 72K
    edited September 2012

@mjc1016: Thats really great work! :)

If I dare I have a little visual suggestion for the final shape of the helmet.
    The other helmet is also very nice and sized for M4 is just what I wanted but forgot to say. :)

Aguirre_Helmet.jpg
    1257 x 965 - 86K
    Post edited by WhiteWine on
    edited September 2012

Here's the latest version...

Top image is a Luxrender render. The middle is DS3, with a metal shader. The bottom is with a texture based on pictures of the helmet from the movie...

helm3dst.jpg
    600 x 750 - 165K
    helm3ds.jpg
    600 x 750 - 157K
    helm3.jpg
    600 x 750 - 38K
    Post edited by mjc1016 on
    edited December 1969

@mjc1016
    It looks really great and all texture have their own charm.
    Really amazing work!

P.S. You got a pn

edited December 1969

Cleaned up the mesh a little (modeled in the seam) and added more rivets...going to break it into two material zones (this is to get rid of an odd reflection problem if reflectivity is turned on...), an outside and and inside. Also, resetting the origin.

This render has the texture, displacement, bump and specular maps applied...with the metal shader. The interior is now a separate material zone. This eliminates the odd reflections I was getting with a value set for Reflectivity. (The blotchy grey area, in the render, is the plane reflecting off the helm...yeah the plane is angled oddly, but I wanted the shadow to show.)

I think it may be ready for prime time...

helm3dst2.jpg
    640 x 800 - 204K