Auto-detecting runtimes.

Previously I had no difficulty getting Carrara 8.5 to auto-detect runtimes, but the other day I had to reformat my computer and I installed Daz Studio 4.9 instead of the 4.8 I was using before.  Then I added all my Poser runtimes , then installed Carrara, but when I went to auto-detect the runtimes, nothing happens. It won't detect any of them. It seems that this feature is incompatible with Daz 4.9. Is there a fix for this, or do I have to go thru the tedious process of adding my 25 runtimes manually now?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945

It's easy to do that manually but...25 Runtimes !

Personnally, I have one for Carrara and one for Poser.

If there is a runtime in DS, that shoud be a 3rd, why 25 ?

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050

Some people like to break them down by figures and their clothes. Some will have runtimes just for specific characters, or for land vehicles, air vehicles, etc. Some will have runtimes based on the store where items were bought, such as a DAZ runtime or a Renderosity runtime.

Sometimes I wish I had been that organized when I first started with the Poser style figures, but now the pain in the ass factor outweighs the time spent looking for stuff. Besides, I sometimes run across something I had forgotten and it inspires an image.

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

With DS having "Categories" where users who feel like they need to re-organise every product they have,.,Can do so,. by creating "virtual"  Categories,... but without actually moving any physical files around and breaking the links for products,. there really shouldn't be a need to have so many runtime folders,.

I'd imagine that with 29 different runtime folders it's a poblem just remembering which runtime folder contains which items.

Install your stuff where it was designed and built to be installed,. then use Categories in DS to create a bunch of "Virtual" folders where you can re-organise all your content however you want it.

As for Carrara and Autodetect runtimes,. This is normally for first time setup,. where the user is unsure of the location or existence of any runtime folders,.

it's also going to scan every folder on every drive,. looking for folders called runtime,. So,.. it may take some time ( depending on your system)

If you Know where your runtime folders are located,. you will find it easier to manually add thiose,. in a specific organised way,. rather than trying to deal with whatever order the Auto detect feature would create.

In Carrara's browser,. Click "Add Runtime",. and browse to the location of your runtime folders.

If that manual process of adding each Runtime folder you've created becomes tedious,. then you should re-consider whether having so many runtime folders,. is really providing a more efficient workflow.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,989
    DUDU said:

I have 27 cool

Category runtimes, 3D business runtimes and just because I can runtimes

can never have too many runtimes.... in fact I'll think I'll go make another one devil

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,989

Previously I had no difficulty getting Carrara 8.5 to auto-detect runtimes, but the other day I had to reformat my computer and I installed Daz Studio 4.9 instead of the 4.8 I was using before.  Then I added all my Poser runtimes , then installed Carrara, but when I went to auto-detect the runtimes, nothing happens. It won't detect any of them. It seems that this feature is incompatible with Daz 4.9. Is there a fix for this, or do I have to go thru the tedious process of adding my 25 runtimes manually now?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

When you're done redoing it all and if you use Windows then go to the c:\users\your user name\AppData\Roaming\Carrara8.5\

and save the CompPrefs.txt and the Preferences.txt files somewhere safe so if you reinstall you just copy them back in place.. yes

• SockrateaseSockratease Posts: 813
    Stezza said:
    DUDU said:

I have 27 cool

Category runtimes, 3D business runtimes and just because I can runtimes

can never have too many runtimes.... in fact I'll think I'll go make another one devil

You people with less than a few dozen runtimes amuse me!  I literally have hundreds.

I install every item to it's own runtime in a folder called "Runtimes" and only load the ones I need.  Saves a lot of overhead and speeds up Cowrarra dramatically.  This is why I was so upset by the new direction of content.  It began with V4 being required to be present in the same runtime to load any other Gen 4 females  (same for M4 and other gen4 males). 

Then the final nail in the coffin of stand alone figures when Genoc... 

Oh. 

Wait. 

They asked me to stop calling it that.

Then the final nail in the coffin of stand alone figures when Genocalypse was released.  This completely goes against the way I work, and there is nothing to do about it but refuse to use Genoc...

Oh dwat.

That's a hard habbit to break!!

There is nothing to do about it but refuse to use Gennymandering!!

Of course this situation, as well as everything else wrong with the world, would be corrected instantly if they'd just Release The Millennium Cow Already!!

Then we'd all only need one rumtime with one figure.  Problem solved.

• ProPoseProPose Posts: 527

Auto detect runtimes in Carrara works only if you process them through DazStudio.  Don't use C85 too often (prefer C81) but I'm pretty sure it works the same way in C85.  But like most others here, I have a multitude of runtimes,  some are project based, some are theme based, but most are figure specific.  Just load the ones that you need for whatever your working on, keeps down the clutter