entry panel, what is this?

Greetings all. my question is what is supposed to be listed here? It has never listed anything and just thought i would ask, thanks for any info.

What should be listed here.png
474 x 504 - 934K

Comments

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    If you wanted to name polygons, would you enter the name there? Just guessing.
  • de3ande3an Posts: 915

It's for naming and dislpaying the name of any user named Polymesh.

If you have more than one complete Polymesh in the same vertex modeling room at the same time, you can give them custom names, which can make them easier to select if they overlap. When a Polymesh is named, selecting any part of the mesh will cause the Polymesh's name to be displayed in the text box.

You can also name them through the "Selection" menu.

• dot_batdot_bat Posts: 373

ah! thanx for that de3an

My pleasure.

Every now and then I know the answer to a question. laugh

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

You can also name individual polys or sets of polys or sets of meshes -- anything that can be selected, and anything you might want to select as a group. Named sets can all or just part of a shading domain, or multiple shading domains. Examples might be a door plus its hinges, all the stones that make up a fireplace, the outside walls of a house etc. Names are also useful if you export models to other programs, or want to add bones and rigging.

So I was kinda' right? Score! ;-)
    So I was kinda' right? Score! ;-)

Close... but no cigar.  wink

Awww... :(

Wait a cotton-pickin' minute... Tango said you could name individual polys didn't he?

Score! ;-P

edited March 2016

Awww... :(

Wait a cotton-pickin' minute... Tango said you could name individual polys didn't he?

Score! ;-P

Yes, but dot_bat's question was specifically about that particular text field, which only displays the names of polymeshes.

Cigar denied. devil

Would you accept a consolation kewpie doll prize? smiley

Post edited by de3an on
  • TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

My answer was a little more general, in terms of names and why you might want them (since De3an had alrerady answered the question). That box will only display the polymesh name of the current selection. Your mesh may also have other names (individual polys, verts, edges etc) which won't be displayed in that particular box. The box won't be displayed if your selection includes more than one mesh.