One Button Utility: Convert All Lighting To Iray At The Same Intensity

Kind of spoiled the text here with the title.

Don't really know what to add. Hmm. Would be well worth $35, if that's an incentive?

I guess the script would have to add the extra Iray properties to the existing Daz Render lighting, and then scan the light settings, alter the new sliders, and finally remove the unwanted Daz Render properties.

From every light. I'm not sure how it would replcate the Uber Lighting, but it could simply remove it and we can play with dome lighting instead? Or the script could approximate it with a dome?

Go onnnnnn. You know you want to. It would instantly extend those beautiful sets in the back catalogue. Doing this manually is somewhat hit and miss, to the point where I just nuke the lighting and re-rig from scratch, totally abusing the ambience in many cases. I appreciate this is asking a lot, and is probably impossible, but it would be gratefully received, I imagine. You folks do impossible all the time, I've seen you do it.

Comments

• I assume by Daz Render you mean 3Delight? The basic lights are already Iray and 3Delight, switching with the engine. uberEnvironment is doing some or all of the stuff Iray always does - all you'd need to do would be transfer any environment map to the Iray dome in render Settings under the Advanced tab. Most of the other light types do things that don't make sense in a PBR render engine like Iray.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

The hardest and nearly impossible part will be translating the relative scale of brightness based on 'nothing' into 'real world units'...a 3Delight light set at 50% intensity is not 50 W, lumens or any other unit.  So how do you translate that into something meaningful...other than have a person knowing what kind of light they want and what it should be?

• Impossible is good. Lots of room to work up to it. This utility would mostly be used on 3Delight environments i.e. with specific lights doing specific things on the set already.

So, the script could automatically convert the uberEnvironment, that should be easy enough.

There's got to be a way to approximate 3Delight light to Iray. Colour is easy, it's the same colour.

There's got to be a way to match the single 3Delight slider to the two Iray sliders. Even some sort of generic fudge, and we could fine tune it from there.

For example.Take a single candle. Set it up nicely in 3Delight. Nice and warm. Render it. Now replicate that as best as possible using an Iray light instead. Manually, this involves creating the new Iray light, dragging it into place, then fannying on for a while with tinytest test renders working up to an approximation. If it can be done manually, surely there is a fudge that can be automated? I appreciate they are rendered very differently, but even just a straight swapout for Iray lights that follow a very basic correlation between all three sliders involved would be helpful. If 3Delight < x, then Iray Settings y,z. If x< 3Delight < a then Iray settings b,c. Maybe even just ten basic q-parameters like this could be helpful? The more the better,obviously. Maybe even just fix the Temperature of the Iray lights to something visible, and work with the other slider. Individual temperature settings are not difficult to adjust ourselves to add a bit of incandecent realism if it's even needed.

Impossible is good. I've seen the workarounds you folks have already made to do impossible things. Think of it as a workaround rather than absolute replication, albeit that's something to shoot for if you think you can.

• SkelchSkelch Posts: 275
    edited September 2017

I don't know of a script but if you go to scene and choose your light that was set for 3delight render and then to properties pick the light choice on the left and on the right you will see Photometric Mode is off. Turn it on and you can now control lumens and temperature of the lights. They will usually be dark as it was not reall light and you can move them up. Most of them are set with the temperature to 6500 which is good for basic lighting I find setting lumens up to 25000 is a good start. 

I change the lumens up and down if needed, sometimes the temperature but usually just the lumens. 

I have had good results with that. 

Hope that helps! 

almost forgot... distant lights will not work like you think. In 3Delight they travel through walls. In Iray if they are outside your interior scene they will be stopped by the walls like real light. :)

Post edited by Skelch on