translating 65mm camera settings in carrara? carraranese, carrararian ...

was reading about this camera  http://arrirentalgroup.com/alexa65/
(found by binging what camera they used to film Avengers. smiley)
so it's a 65mm camera, pixels 
 6560 x 3100  - set my render dimensions to match. at 96dpi.
then there's the camera zoom setting, so i set that to 65mm.
telephoto lens brings far away things closer, eh?

so basically, i don't know what they talking about or what i'm doing. >.<

i think, Star Wars was filmed at 70mm?  that wide, wide stuff is like, the epic look

this is deep,deep cinematography stuff
the Howie scenes would make a lucious Moon of Endor, if the detail can be seen in scene.

Comments

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945
    edited March 2016

Hi Misty,

I'm filmmaker and I know that it's impossible to realize a film with a single focal...

You write "70mm", but it's the film format not the focal...

There are 8mm,super 8mm, 9,5 (french format), 16mm, 35mm, 70mm formats, but it's the width of the film, not the focal.

The use of the zoom in 3D is not the same as with a real camera, you must play with the depth of field if you want to translate the same effect.

Post edited by DUDU on
  • PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144

Carrara's Camera Zoom setting is the same as a normal slr camera, so the higher the value, the more zoomed in you are, and 65mm is a fairly standard setting (the default is 50mm) and is suitable for full length images of a person for example. The more cropped in on the person you are, the higher this figure should be in general use, so for a head and shoulders portrait, something like 120-150 would be good.

The 70mm you quote is (confusingly) nothing to do with this, it is the width of the film strip used, in general the bigger the filmed image, the more detailed it is in the analogue world. The equivalent in Carrara is really the pixel dimensions you render at - keep in mind that there is the usual play off between quality and render time here and rendering at the dimensions you suggest will add hugely to your render times. It will also be pointless if your target is an online YouTube video for example, in general I would not use higher than the HD standard of 1920 x 1080.

and the dpi is only of any relevence if you are printing the image and sets up the number of dots per inch when printed. High quality prints are done at 300 dpi, so 10 inches = 3000 pixels in one dimension at this resolution. For showing images on a screen, it has no relevance.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

Channels ise planned for final movie: 

https://www.createspace.com/Products/DVD/
    https://www.createspace.com/Products/VideoDownload/

ise haz a seller account setup on amazonsmiley

not a spring chicken. hope to finish in my lifetime, lol.

can't remember which thread was in, someone here mentioned 96dpi and the nowadays monitors. I embraced 96dpi

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

RE: "hope to finish in my lifetime, lol"

Can't wait to see it.  Good luck.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326

Bah... dpi only matters for printing. For digital imagery, one pixel = one pixel, so the default 72 dpi is fine. More precise, the dpi can be ignored entirely. It's the two values above it that matter. 

PhilW is correct in what he's saying about not exceeding 1920 x 1080. Going above that can just be too taxing on your computer to render over and over, for no real good reason.

The difference comes in if you wish to "Go Cinema", which I believe is currently 16 x 9 aspect ratio (super-wide), which might look great in the cinema, but not so much on TVs or computers.

Again... here's what some of the experts have to say: Filmmaker IQ: The Changing Shape of Cinema - The History of Aspect Ratio

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144

16 x 9 is standard HD widescreen, 1920 x 1080 is in the ratio 16 x 9 (try multiplying by 120!). The "Trick or Teat" animation I did last year was done at this resolution and has been shown on big cinema screens and was reported to look good, so unless you are targetting iMax screens, I'd say it is high enough resolution.

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

That wide-wide ratio -- Cinemascope / Panavision are the main trade names -- is 2.35:1 (or 1920 x 817, or 2538 x 1080 . . .). It's made on 35mm film using anamorphic lenses, which squish the horizontal so it fills the frame (yes that is the same morph word) 

1920 x 1080 (aka 1080p) is close enough to the standard digital cinema 2K resolution (2048 x 1080) of most movies that you probably wouldn't notice the difference on a big movie screen. :)