Installing Carrara on a different hard-drive than c:

Hello, everybody.

I'm a long time Carrara-user, but recently got a new computer. It has a very limited C: drive (500 GB) and is nearly filled already with Windows and alike. The computer has a huge D: drive (of 1 TB), so I wanted to install Carrara on that one. But unfortunately this doesn't seem to work. If I specify a directory on the D: drive to install Carrara, the program (of course) get's installed there ... but if I want to launch it, it won't work. The launching process stops at some point and the program won't open. 

I tryied it quite some times (uninstalling and installing the program over and over), but got the same results again and again.

When I finally installed Carrara on the C: drive, there was no problem running the program. So I decided to have the programm on the C: drive and just putting the data on the D: drive. This worked fine ... for some time ... but now the C: drive is packed completely. And if I open a scene in Carrara, the temporary files created by the programm, are using up every last Byte, so that the program get's a lot of issues handeling the scene and won't render it any more. I removed all unneccessary data from the C: drive, but this is of no use. The problems remain.

So, I *have to* install it on my D: drive. Is there any advice? Did you also encounter problems, when Carrara isn't installed on your C: drive? Or is it just me.

Thank you!

Comments

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,910
    edited March 2016

NM. I was thinking of something else.

Post edited by frank0314 on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

I have Carrara on my D drive.   I made a folder called Carrara and then installed Carrara into that, also installed the content in the same folder, as Carrara needs to find it in the same folder I think.

• @Chohole

Yes, I also installed everything in the same folder ... unfortunately it didn't work. 
    But obviously the problem isn't an universal one, judging from the fact that it works for you.

edited March 2016

I can't remember how I got it working,  I am a complete novice with Carrara.    This is what my Carrara folder looks like

carrara folder.jpg
    221 x 622 - 84K
    Post edited by Chohole on
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

mine is on E; drive partition.  under E:\CA85

i have the native carrara content in the same folder.
    all the extra stuff i bought for carrara, howie sets, etc; is in an external lib.
    E:\ACONTENT\CAlib

i only backup the ACONTENT folders.  if i have a hdd fail, i'll end up installing Windows and Carrara anew.

• @Chohole

So, you seem to run Carrara an a Mac, don't you. Maybe it's different with the Windows Version I have.

@MistyMist

Yes, putting all the "extra stuff" in a different folder worked fine for me, as well.
    But putting the program itself at the D: drive didn't.

Maybe it's because yours is a partition, while mine is actually a different hard drive.
    Who knows ...

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,038

All my DAZ and 3D programs and most others are on drives other than C, Poser the only pain in the butt I cannot do that with or it will not find things needed yet the library can be elsewhere.

Carrara I have even installed a beta once on a USB

@Chohole

So, you seem to run Carrara an a Mac, don't you. Maybe it's different with the Windows Version I have.

@MistyMist

Yes, putting all the "extra stuff" in a different folder worked fine for me, as well.
    But putting the program itself at the D: drive didn't.

Maybe it's because yours is a partition, while mine is actually a different hard drive.
    Who knows ...

No the only Mac I have is the one I put on when I go out in the rain.  smiley

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

You can use DIM.  My programs are on my D: drive.  I created a folder called "Stuff for Daz", and then subfolders for "Stuff for Bryce", "Stuff for Carrara","Stuff for Studio".  I then had DIM (Daz Install Manager) install all of the Daz programs and the Daz content.  I like using the DIM's "show installed files" function.

DIM install locations.JPG
    544 x 350 - 43K
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,989

Windows 10 .. similar as @diomede setup no problems at all..

all my programs and content are on different drives to the OS on C:

just setup DiM to the correct settings and let it do it's thing cool

• Thank you, everybody.

So I'll try it again and hope that it works out this time.