Toon Shader

What are you suing for a a Carrara 8.5 toon shader. and how is it working for you?

Comments

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050

I've tried the YAToon shader that came with Carrara 7.2 (not sure if it comes with C8.5) and I could never really wrap my head around it, or get it to do what I wanted. I have had much better luck with the toonIII filter under the scene's effects tab. It isn't really anti-aliased very well, so for an animation, I would render the frames at the aspect ratio you want, but with a larger dimension, and scale down in your video editor.

Here's an animation I did using the filter, but I rendered it at the final output size.

Here's a sample image from an image sequence I rendered.

Gussie-Llama React000.png
    720 x 480 - 271K

Oops!

I meant to post some screen caps on how to get to the filter!

Select Scene in the Instances pane on the right side of the screen. You will notice there is a Filter tab at the top of the screen. Select it and then click on the plus sign to reveal the pulldown menu. Choose Toon! partIII. Open the editor to set the parameters. Each scene is different and so is each person's preference so there is no one setting that is better than another. Experiment a bit. I prefer thinner lines so that is usually how I set it up.

If the preview is to small, you can click and drag the lower right corner of the editor's window and increase the size of the preview. You may need to hit the render after increasing the window's size so the preview fills the available space.

Picture 2.png
    252 x 767 - 26K
    Picture 4.png
    960 x 938 - 85K
    Picture 4.png
    960 x 938 - 85K
    If YaToon is available to you, it will be in the shader room. You will need to select a shader in your scene, and then look under the Lighting Model pulldown menu for the 'toon shader.
    Picture 1.png
    799 x 625 - 123K