Question about UVMapper

Knight22179Knight22179 Posts: 1,195
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Mmmmkay. When I put something in UVmapper (like say, shoes for example), it gives me a template which I can texture and place on said shoes.

But, if I try something more complicated, like saaaaay a Bodysuit for one of the figures, I get one template piled on the next in one HUGE mess.

So, this question is for those who know how convert a bodysuit into a template so people can do their own textures.

How do I get just one template at a time? If I can't do that, then how do I seperate them all into seperate templates so I can use them?

Comments

• DogzDogz Posts: 898
    edited September 2012

The reason for the pile is that your body suit presumably has multiple mat IDs & textures, In your UV mapper do you have an option to select by material ID? then you can display one at a time and make template for each.

Here is the UV mapper from 3ds Max for example. (see the area highlighted in green) thats what your are looking for anyway.

max_uv.jpg
    624 x 810 - 319K
    Post edited by Dogz on
  • macleanmaclean Posts: 2,438
    edited September 2012

A lot depends on which version of UVM you have. The free version is a bit limited, or rather, the Pro version has a load more options.

Now, I can't remember what the free version has, but try pressing CTRL+T to make a template and see if you get a dialog. If so, there's an option on it to exclude hidden facets. That means it'll make the template only with what you can see, so if you hide sau everything except the head, it'll export the template only for the head.

UVM Pro also has the option to make regions, so you can right-click> select geometry and assign that part to a region. Regions can be recalled at any time and shown/hidden. It's a very useful way to split a model up without actually affecting groups or materials. And of course, you can select by group or material and show/hide.

Without knowing what version you have, it's difficult to say what you can do.

mac

Edit - What you're seeing in the model is called 'stacked mapping' and it's the usual method of mapping a complex model. Although everything looks as if it's all been dumped in the template, you'll probably find that each area pertains to a separate material, and in the software, different textures are applied to each one.

Post edited by maclean on
  • Knight22179Knight22179 Posts: 1,195
    edited December 1969

Dogz said:
    The reason for the pile is that your body suit presumably has multiple mat IDs & textures, In your UV mapper do you have an option to select by material ID? then you can display one at a time and make template for each.

Here is the UV mapper from 3ds Max for example. (see the area highlighted in green) thats what your are looking for anyway.

I don't see that option. :(

I have the free UVmapper.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,293
    edited December 1969

In UVMapper Classic you need to select the materials you want to see (Edit>Select>Material I think), then hit the key to hide unselected (either ] or ' as I recall - there's a list of keyboard shortcuts available from the help menu).

edited December 1969

maclean said:
    A lot depends on which version of UVM you have. The free version is a bit limited, or rather, the Pro version has a load more options.

Now, I can't remember what the free version has, but try pressing CTRL+T to make a template and see if you get a dialog. If so, there's an option on it to exclude hidden facets. That means it'll make the template only with what you can see, so if you hide sau everything except the head, it'll export the template only for the head.

UVM Pro also has the option to make regions, so you can right-click> select geometry and assign that part to a region. Regions can be recalled at any time and shown/hidden. It's a very useful way to split a model up without actually affecting groups or materials. And of course, you can select by group or material and show/hide.

Without knowing what version you have, it's difficult to say what you can do.

mac

Edit - What you're seeing in the model is called 'stacked mapping' and it's the usual method of mapping a complex model. Although everything looks as if it's all been dumped in the template, you'll probably find that each area pertains to a separate material, and in the software, different textures are applied to each one.

I have UVmapper Classic. CTRL+T gives me the option exclude hidden facets. But if I go to Edit>Select>By Group (Or CTRL+G), I get a dialog box with a long list of things like Abdomen, Abdomen2, Chest, Hip, RCollar, etc. When I clicked it and moved it within UVmapper, the pile became less messy.

I assume this is what your talking about and what I want?

edited December 1969

In UVMapper Classic you need to select the materials you want to see (Edit>Select>Material I think), then hit the key to hide unselected (either ] or ' as I recall - there's a list of keyboard shortcuts available from the help menu).

It took a bit, but I finally located what you were pointing out. I didn't manage to create the templates I wanted, but it did give me the results I was looking for. Thanks Richard! :)

• LindseyLindsey Posts: 1,985
    edited December 1969

Get UVMapper PRO. It has a Select Inverse function that the classic version doesn't. You select the materials/groups you want, then use the "Select Inverse" command to highlight the unwanted items and hit the delete key. You're left with your template. It also has the model in 3D in a pane that shows the selected materials/groups.

The PRO version allows you to save templates without a license key.

• macleanmaclean Posts: 2,438
    edited December 1969

I have UVmapper Classic. CTRL+T gives me the option exclude hidden facets. But if I go to Edit>Select>By Group (Or CTRL+G), I get a dialog box with a long list of things like Abdomen, Abdomen2, Chest, Hip, RCollar, etc. When I clicked it and moved it within UVmapper, the pile became less messy.

I assume this is what your talking about and what I want?

Yes, that's what I was talking about. It's one of the ways to refine your selection for a template.

Say you want to export a template for the head only. The easiest way to do it is to hide everything (press the [ key), then go to select by group, choose 'head', then press the ] key to unhide it. You then export a template using 'Exclude hidden facets'.

If you go to Help> Hot Keys, you'll find a list of all the shortcuts.

mac