Sol elite texture

TrishaTrisha Posts: 86

Hiya,

I was just wondering if anyone could explain what AO mats are and what no AO mats mean. The elite texture for Sol is labeled like that and I can't figure out why.

Thanks in advanced for any help :)

Comments

• fonpaolofonpaolo Posts: 229
    edited September 2012

AO stands for Ambient Occlusion, subtile shades that happens when in reality two objects are closer each other and/or are influenced by the light environment.
    To fake this in the old programs an AO node was added to show those proximity shadows, with normal lights (infinite or spot) or Image Base Lighting, with the current tecnology isn't needed anymore but you need Global Illumination.

So, if you want to fake AO, you need the AO mats, if you don't need or want that or you use GI, use the no AO.

Post edited by fonpaolo on
  • TrishaTrisha Posts: 86
    edited December 1969

Oh ok thanks heaps for explaining that :D

edited December 1969

You're welcome! :cheese:
    I hope I was understandable, I didn't want to be too technical.

• Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,259
    edited December 1969

So if you use AO mats with GI such as UberEnvironment it will double up on the AO?

edited September 2012

Yes, with GI enabled you have the same results as the fake AO, well, better than the fake AO, so it's not necessary at all.

I don't use DAZ Studio, but if his GI is real, you have better lighting and no need to fake anything.

Post edited by fonpaolo on
  • Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,259
    edited December 1969

Thanks, I know you don't want to double up on AO and it should be logical I guess that if using a lighting system that is using AO that any mats listed as AO would double, but sometimes the obvious doesn't click ;p