New Short Animation: "Richard Cory" by Edwin Arlington Robinson

Comments

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964

Nice work Steve K, love the angles and lighting

• mmoirmmoir Posts: 821

Nice job on this.   The subtitles and animation go well together.

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202

I really enjoyed the way you crafted the short. Well done.

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144

Very thoughtful - although I was expecting the song "Richard Cory" by Paul Simon (and later covered by Wings). Funnily enough I have been thinking of this recently with the death of Keith Emerson, a man who was such a hero to many and seemed to have such a charmed life in many ways, and yet clearly beset by his own demons, very sad.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    Nice work. I had to look it up, as I wasn't familiar with the poem. Nice adaptation.
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326

Nice work. Very sad. 

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,226

Thanks to all for the kind comments.  It was a new area for me, took a while to get it straight, glad it works for you.  

Phil - Yes, I considered the Paul Simon song, a longtime favorite, but decided on the original which is pretty good, too.  As most of you probably know, the music in the animation is Erik Satie - Gymnopédie No.1, a royalty free version from Digital Juice.  And yes, too many artists have too many demons.  Here in Texas we had Janis Joplin, an alltime favorite of mine, gone at 27.

On a lighter note, you may get a kick out of Garrison Keilor's take on the poem:

http://www.garrisonkeillor.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/9780140233728_BookofGuys_Chapter-1-excerpt-pp1-4.pdf

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945

Simon and Garfunkel, Janis Joplin...hmmm, nostalgia nostalgia...

DUDU said:

Simon and Garfunkel, Janis Joplin...hmmm, nostalgia nostalgia...

DUDU -

Yes, a lot of us old guys miss classic rock.  I've got a big collection of CD's under my bed that I'm working through while I shower, there's some good stuff back there.  Although Bob Dylan (in his DJ gig) is apparently not too impressed by one of those oldies:

http://blogs.herald.com/dave_barrys_blog/2007/01/postponed_post_.html

(click on the "Mr. Bob Dylan" link)

• DondecDondec Posts: 243

Quite an achievement... congrats, well done.

- Don

Thanks, Don.  I have to admit Mr. Robinson had a lot to do with it, a very inspiring poem.  Short and simple, but very memorable.

Here is another person's animation inspired by the poem, this time using After Effects ... and it uses the S&G song, Phil B-}  :