applying a pose alters the model (solved)

I may sound picky but I'm the kind of guy who uses the same character in many scenes and tries out a few basic poses before tweaking it to the model's final position. I like my character, to have a consistent look from one scene to the next, surely you must understand that.

When applying poses, some of them will mess up with a model's scale or shape (most often position)

of course, locking the translation and scale settings solve the problem in some cases BUT NOT ALWAYS. I've seen shape packages that manage to make a model taller, shorter (even with the scale locked) and sometimes simply different, changing the basic appearance... more or less bulky or for example or give it toonish proportions that were not there before.

maybe I'm doing something wrong or I'm simply ignorant, which I'll be happy to be told so if it is the case. Maybe the topic has been brought up before but the search tool just didn't show me any results with my keywords.

Anyway, any of you having the same issue, any have found a workaround?

Post edited by chbautist_449450d875 on

Comments

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,325
    edited September 2012

The problem is not with you, but rather the pose maker. In most cases, Poses should only provide rotational information for the joints, no scale or translation information and certainly not morph information. But some pose makers are not aware, and don't know that depending on method of saving the file, that additional information can be included and has to be manually removed in a text editor or the proper check box needs to be ticked during saving of the pose information depending on application/program used. Best work around is to re-save the poses yourself, saving it with rotation information only, then you'll be able to use those poses on your models with out changing anything but the pose.

There's a free product available here at daz to help you out.

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/free-3d-models-and-content/poser-format-exporter-pfe

Post edited by FirstBastion on
  • MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879
    edited December 1969

I agree with FirstBastion on this. Using the PFE simple save only the Rotation and Translation info.

Please see the link in my sig to help you with the PFE if you need it.

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449
    edited December 1969

I just make sure I hold the Ctrl-key(Cmd? for Mac) down when applying a pose. This brings up a box where I can un-check morphs, scaling and translating.

• edited September 2012

jestmart said:
    I just make sure I hold the Ctrl-key(Cmd? for Mac) down when applying a pose. This brings up a box where I can un-check morphs, scaling and translating.

One of those things everyone should know I guess...

and it appears you can even save it as preference and automatically do it afterwards with SHIFT+Click

Thanks.

Post edited by chbautist_449450d875 on