Adding libraries in Carrara 8.5 *SOLVED*

rfrydryckstudiorfrydryckstudio Posts: 39
edited April 2016 in Carrara Discussion

I have two libraries that I want to add to Carrara. I have divided them up into 2 folders. The first is really old Victoria4-like items (older items).  The second is Victoria 5.  I manually installed them without DIM and made paths that worked out really well in Daz Studio. But I am having a problem getting one of them into Carrara.  The older Victoria 4 stuff went in easy:
File Folder Menu/ Add Folder/ (Browse to OldStuff Runtime and click OK)  I think I selected Poser runtime - and all my content is there.

But when I did the same for my Victoria5-like items I only see some of the items in the folder.  I tried both Poser Run Time and Content.

Any suggestions? This is strange since I see everything in Daz Studio.

Post edited by rfrydryckstudio on

Comments

• EddyMI3DEddyMI3D Posts: 365

Hello!

For the V5 stuff, "Content" ist correct. You have the to choose the folder wher "Runtime" is in. Usually this is "My Library", it could have another name.
    Most of the Studio stuff can't be seen by Carrara. You find Genesis/V5 in the subfolder "People".
    The Studuo Contend is organized in another way than the Poser stuff.

• I added the single runtime folder as explained above like when I added my older material.  So I do not understand what you mean Eddy.  Also do you select Poser Run Time or Content?

Is Genisis 2 and and Victoria 5 content not good for Carrara 8.5?

Did you use the Poser versions of the V5 files od the DS version for unpacking?

Genesis 2/V6 works quite well, but it can come to some issues when saving, but very seldom.

Genesis/V5 works better.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited April 2016

Right. The file structure is everything, because that's how the software knows what is what.

Answer: "Content" is what to select for Genesis related (or just DUF related) libraries.

Also, keep in mind that some things just may not be available in Carrara, like shaders, lights, cameras, etc.,

To allow for Carrara to 'see' what you save from D|S, it needs to be saved either as DUF or as (for non-Genesis/DUF stuff) Poser formats.

=====================================================

(EDIT: If you don't want to read all of this junk, jump to the next post ;)  )

Something to look at: If you have at least one standard library set up the way DIM installs things as default, have a look at how the folders are structured. The Genesis system was fairly touchy(with Carrara) when it first came out and Carrara was in beta. As Genesis was updated, certain files needed to be deleted (they wouldn't just automatically become over-written since they had different extensions, and similar issues) So that's when I decided to kep all of my Genesis (and D|S-only) content in a single DIM-installed location, so that the DIM could manage the correct files.

Anyways, DAZ Studio has the added benefit of having Genesis (all) as part of its development - the content and the software evolved around each other - so by installing your special V5 folder all by itself is likely the issue. For the whole system to work, I'm guessing, you'll need the "data" folder from the default installation folder to reside within your special new folder.

It really IS hard to figure out issues when you say that you've done a manual install of certain things, and now it's not working. I'd almost have to get ahold of your computer and look at the files to see what's wrong. Manual installs for Genesis stuff is an advanced topic in and of itself. There's so much that can go wrong.

One suggestion I could make is to go into DAZ Studio, and open everything in your special content folder (that you're trying to get into Carrara) one at a time, and save DUF versions of everything into the same folders that they would be expected to be found by the software. For example, to use V5 you need Genesis and V5. So that means that you'll need "Genesis" saved under "People" > "Genesis" within the special folder. Then V5 under "People" > "Genesis" > "Characters"

Now do the same with everything else you need in there.

To me, it was a much easier solution to use DIM and let the system work. Carrara even comes with support files to work with Genesis, like V5 and M5 shaders and a Hair cap for Genesis, for example.

Your special folder will also require a "Runtime" folder within it, because that's where all of the texture maps are stored.

Some of this sounds opinionated, I agree. But it also has a lot of fact involved. If you add a folder to Carrara as a D|S Content folder which does not include everything that the library needs as a stand-alone directory for the software, there's simply no way that it can work on its own in something other than DAZ Studio. The reason it can work in D|S is because it has the main directory already there - so it uses that in addition to your special folder.

Post edited by Dartanbeck on

Yikes! After all of that, I need to add that, yes... you can have smaller, manually created DAZ Libraries for Carrara. You just need to start by installing all of the main Genesis files to it right away, and then add the other stuff you want into it.

So you'd start by downloading all of the "Genesis Essentials" stuff and any of that related stuff that's required to get Genesis to work. Install that to an empty folder and you've got your start. Then just install all of the support content you want next. Then just add it to Carrara as a "Content" library ;)

• rfrydryckstudiorfrydryckstudio Posts: 39
    edited April 2016

Thank you so much for the help.  I got my other Genesis 2 itmes loaded in the new directory.  Could not have done that without you.

Post edited by rfrydryckstudio on
    edited April 2016

Always glad to help! Always!

When you save Genesis (and Genesis 2) files back into the Carrara browser, try to Save As a new file name each time. 

I know this sounds redundant, but there have been a lot of counts where a .CAR file wouldn't open properly - and it's almost always when a Genesis product is in the scene.

Don't let this scare you though... Genesis and Genesis 2 are awesome and they can work pretty darned great within Carrara!

=============================================================================

More considerations

Shaders

When you tweak out a Genesis shader to your liking, save the shaders to the Shader browser in Carrara so that you have a good start for another Genesis figure of the same type. To save the whole set in one shot, drag the big multi-colored ball at the top right in the Texture room into the Shader browser. I prefer to make more folders in the browser just for such occassions!

Custom Browser

Here's how to add Custom folders to your browser, just in case you didn't know (I don't think it's documented or anything)

I only know Windows, but I'm sure there's something similar in MacOS

Go into My Documents > Daz 3D > Carrara 8.5 > My Presets

Those folders are the top line of each category (except for Scenes, which doesn't work this way) so when we add folders inside of those folders, they show up in Carrara's browser, inside that top line. I use this extensively to keep my work sorted into a very well organized file system!

Since "Scenes" doesn't work this way, I have a "Scenes" folder inside my My Objects folder so that I have a place to organize my scene files easily within this system. Inside that "Scenes" folder I made, I have a whole bunch of categories. Some are the name of the scene, others are named according to an artist I collect scenery items from, like Stonemason, TheAntFarm, etc., others are like "SciFi City", "Cliffs", "Dungeons", "Castles", etc.,

Also inside my My Objects, I save all of my Carrara-optimized people, animals and all other figures and objects.

When ever I need a new category somewhere, I simply add a new folder. 

NOTE: If you add folders while Carrara is open, they won't show up in the browser until you "Update the Folder" using the File/Folder menu on the bottom right.

RT6_CustomBrowser.jpg
    1120 x 726 - 643K
    Post edited by Dartanbeck on

Great presentation image, DB yes !

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144

I love it when characters come out of the frame!

EddyMI3D said:

Great presentation image, DB yes !

Thanks EddyMI3D!

PhilW said:

I love it when characters come out of the frame!

Rosie simply cannot be contained! I thought this might change with Genesis 2 F, but no.