MAKING the switch

edited December 1969 in The Commons

Hi,
I am a poser user and have been holding out using DAZ STUDIO because of financial reason. It seems that all the new content is geared towards genesis. My question is - will all the content that I have already have translate to daz studio or do i need to re-purchase V4,M4 the clothes, morphs ect that I have for poser? If so i may never make the switch, not being able to use what i have and just add to it.
Thanks for an help.
Tyler

Comments

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,898
    edited December 1969

DAZ Studio, since its inception, was designed to use Poser content. The only exception being poser dynamic cloth and hair and it wont read all the advanced shaders info since they dont use the same render engine.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Your poser Runtime or Runtimes can be Read by DS You will only need to add them the Content Directory Paths. You will not even need to install them again or anything.

• Testing6790Testing6790 Posts: 1,091
    edited December 1969

Hi Tylerdagreat,

I was exactly like you a few months ago! I was a poser user with tons of content, and wanted to swap to DS. I did it, and 90% of the stuff works great! You can keep your file structure from Poser and there is even an option to make it look more like Poser. The content will load fine. DS has a nice auto-conform feature with old V4/M4 stuff. A lot of the time it'll fit Genesis better than it did the older models!

The ONLY transition problem I have been having is using binary morphs (ps2 I think?) in DS4.5. There used to be an old plugin to allow Poser morphs to work in DS, but it hasnt been translated for 4.5 yet. As it stands, some older content's morph dials will not work with DS 4.5. There is a way around it by saving it in Poser after disabling binary morphs, but I'm not willing to spend the time to explain it :x

If you're really interested, look for my past posts. A lot of them are about transitioning from Poser to DS 4.5. Good luck!

• edited December 1969

Thanks for the quick responses. I will try your suggestions.
    Ty

• mrposermrposer Posts: 1,128
    edited December 1969

I don't think Michael 2 works in Daz Studio 4 if you go back that far.

• randym77randym77 Posts: 275
    edited December 1969

MrPoser said:
    I don't think Michael 2 works in Daz Studio 4 if you go back that far.

I bet it does. DS should be able to handle all the old Poser stuff. It's the newer stuff - weight-mapping, shaders, dynamic cloth and hair - that don't translate.

edited December 1969

I think it was something to do with geometry switching for m2's manly parts... maybe they got it fixed in 4.5.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

MrPoser said:
    I think it was something to do with geometry switching for m2's manly parts... maybe they got it fixed in 4.5.

Nope, geometry switching support is still 100% nonexistent in the current D|S4.5 — I just tried an A3-based figure I use a lot, with geometry-switched feet, and any attempt to load any of my saved figures causes an instant crash to desktop leaving only this error in the logfile:

FATAL: ASSERT failure in QList::operator[]: "index out of range", file D:\DAZDevel\Hudson\HUDSON_HOME\jobs\NB_Studio_Trunk\workspace\src\sdk\include\QtCore/qlist.h, line 477

Anyone know what this means? I'd like to play with weight-mapping and other neat D|S4 features with these figures, but with this situation I can only use them in D|S3.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,293
    edited December 1969

I just tried an item of my own, in CR2 format, that used geometry switching and it loaded and worked. I didn't, however, try saving it as a scene and reloading.

edited December 1969

I just played with Michael 2 --- morphs and body switching is working okay for me now in Daz Studio 4.5.... yeah!!

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

Ahh... so possibly I'd have more luck going back to a Poser-format figure and loading/converting that directly into D|S4.5? That might be a bit tricky, the required files might be somewhere in my old P7 runtime. All of my cast of thousands... well, OK, a couple dozen or so... are saved as D|S3 scenes. Anyone had success with that?