Question for those that do coverart - input needed

kimhkimh Posts: 386
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Hi folks,

I have been approached by a fantasy writer who is interested in commissioning me to do coverart for his next novel. He has seen samples of my prints and likes my work. This is a first for me. Other than doing small commission work for people I know I have never done anything on this type of level. I am flattered, excited and a bit scared. He described what he was looking for and I am sure I can produce that art but of course he asked for a quote.

We are in the middle of a park in a festival and I had no idea what to say. Of course I told him that I would have to assess what is required and take into account any purchases needed (Hey I may have a use for Cuthulu ...lol). I would retain all rights to the image and get credit for my art in the book...But here is my dilemma. How do you quote for this. I do not want to overquote but at the same time I don't want to underestimate my value.

I really respect and value the opinions of many people here. I don't post much but I am always watching :-)

Comments

• CNSamsonCNSamson Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I'd try a starting quote of around USD $75 (not including the cost of assets you have to buy). That's the amount I got for my first commission, and the client felt it was a reasonable price.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

The last commission I had, I was offered €150 per graphic (just under $200). This admittedly was not for book covers, but for tourism souvenir items, and the client was realtivley well established in her field.

• TimbalesTimbales Posts: 2,312
    edited December 1969

I get $100, plus whatever models he requests I don't have.

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,280
    edited December 1969

I charge $20 per hour. It's roughly entry-level scale for a Graphics Designer locally. Most of my commissions tend to weigh in at 3.5 to 5 hours, but I've had a couple that entailed false starts and a lot of back-and-forthing which clocked in at about 14.

Of course I charge the same for typesetting, and that clocks in at 15-30 hours and up.

The publisher I work with goes through LSI (Lightlning Source International) which is a major print-on-demand service. They'll provide the template to put the cover illo on and have a few parameters that need to be met. The trickiest is to avoid colors with more than a 240% coverage. It's astonishing how quickly a color can exceed that.

• kimhkimh Posts: 386
    edited December 1969

Thank you. I knew I could count on the people here at Daz. I am happy to say I have been commissioned to do the cover art. I used the $100 plus purchased items (limit $50) and two books for the deal and it was accepted. Thank goodness for the PA sale (and hopefully the catchup sale) as I need to now purchase a number of items. Most happen to be on my wishlist but funds are tight and I couldn't justify buying a lot. I also need one Daz3D item so looking forward to the PC sale next month.

This is a dream come true for me and a start. I truly love Daz (and Genesis)

Kim

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited September 2012

Yay, good for you, hope it's only the start of lots of commissions.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited September 2012

i always ask for a $25 non-refundable deposit before laying out any money or starting work.

and recommend, listing a fee for change requests in your sow. (statement of work)

are you doing the cover lettering, too? you could charge more.

Post edited by Mistara on