Bryce and virtual reality

With the Oculus rift and Htc-Vive, virtual reality seems to be on a break-through for the ordinary consumer.

New VR games and -indeed- tools are being released every day. One such tool that got my interest is Virtual Desktop .

One of the nice thing you can do with it is to change the 360 background picture into anything you want.

That got me thinking of the 360 degrees .mov files that come with some of the terrain sets.

As far as I can tell these are absolutely perfect for this program and I plan to test them out as soon as my HTC-Vive arrives sometime around june.

Meantime I want to experiment with creating 360 panorama environments in Bryce.

Can anyone tell me what the easiest way is of creating those .mov files from Bryce?

Comments

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,339
    edited April 2016

I’m not into gaming or virtual reality. In Bryce there is a 360 Panorama Projection which you can choose instead of the Perspective Projection, under Render Options.

File-Export Image – from the drop down list-Save As, there is an option Quick Time VR File. I have fun saving some files with this option, just to have a look around. Hope this helps a bit.

Post edited by mermaid010 on
  • I’m not into gaming or virtual reality. In Bryce there is a 360 Panorama Projection which you can choose instead of the Perspective Projection, under Render Options.

File-Export Image – from the drop down list-Save As, there is an option Quick Time VR File. I have fun saving some files with this option, just to have a look around. Hope this helps a bit.

Yup. That is what I was looking for. Thanks!!

You welcome

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,478

Rembrandt - Bryce can render a 360° cylindrical panorama, i.e. without zenith and nadir; also QuickTime movies (need QT v4 or better installed), again cylindrical. To create a spherical panorama in Bryce, the easist way is using the Spherical Mapper (http://www.daz3d.com/bryce-7-pro-spherical-mapper) and render 4000 x 2000. There are also 4 methods to render a spherical panorama without the product mentioned. The tutorials come with Bryce 7 and can usually be found under Content\Tutorials\Horo Wernli\Start.html. You can also export an HDRI as LDRI spherical panorama from the Sky Lab. Once you have either the 6 cube faces, spherical = equirectangular = latitude/longitude or any other projection rendered, you need a program that can create a QTVR or Flash (or whatever) movie. I use Pano2VR for this but it is not free. There are other programs like PanoCube (free), GoCubic (free), Autopano, Cube2Cross, and probably others. The ones listed I had used in the past, there was once a free Pano2QTVR.

• Thanks Horo. I am looking forward to experimenting with this.

• An easy way of making Bryce work for VR is by rendering 6 cube faces and have this little program called Bixorama turn them into a ready useable .dds file.

The results in VR are quite spectaculair!

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,006

you can render an image series or stills and compile a mp4 in a video editior then inject youtube metadata like I did using Carrara 360 renders in this thread too.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/78861/360-vr-youtube-video#latest

edited May 2016

Interesting :) Thanks for sharing

Post edited by mermaid010 on
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,478

Rembrandt - I agree, rendering the 6 faces of a cube is probably the easiest way, particularly if you want a high resolution result. Just set the camera FOV to 112.5° at Size 100%, set the document aspect ratio to square and you can render the faces up to 4000 px square. I usually make MOV (QTVR) and SWF (Flash).