DAZ4.5 -vs- DAZ3

I've been using version 3 for years now and then version 4 comes out. So I tried out version 4 and it of course wiped out version 3. After I installed it I noticed that the controls are so much different, and so many things are so split up as far as what you can do with each object. The unfortunate thing is, that a lot of the newer products are for version 4 and wont run on version3. I looked but could not figure out if there is a way to set up version 4 to look like and operate like version 3. Is there a way??? Three is so simple to use from posing to rendering animation. Just wanting to know if version 4 is really worth switching to/

Comments

• niccipbniccipb Posts: 483
    edited December 1969

Hi jwheel...

DS4 and 4.5 come with the Darkside style option that you can select. It resembles the DS3 layout.

You can also go to Edit>Customize and arrange or rearrange the different layouts and styles as you like to fit your work style.

The layout and style options can be found in Windows>Workspace and Windows>Styles

Hope this helps... :)

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited September 2012

So I tried out version 4 and it of course wiped out version 3.

DS4 does not need to remove DS3. It should install into a completely different folder.

I have DS3 32 and 64 bit on my PC, and DS4.5 as well.

I seldom use DS3 now, but it is handy to have. If you have lost your installation, reset your downloads from your Itemised Order History, and it will be back in your Downloads in seconds.

DS4 installs to C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4, and DS3 goes into C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio3, they can both live quite happily on the same machine. Don't do without DS3 if you need it.

The unfortunate thing is, that a lot of the newer products are for version 4 and wont run on version3

Genesis wont run on DS3, but anything from the Generation 4 figures should work just the same.

And as niccipb says, the Darkside style is quite a good layout for mimicking DS3, I use it too. I did not like DS4 in the beginning, but it has grown on me.

Post edited by JimmyC_2009 on
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

So I tried out version 4 and it of course wiped out version 3.

DS4 does not need to remove DS3. It should install into a completely different folder.

I have DS3 32 and 64 bit on my PC, and DS4.5 as well.

I still have 1.8 installed, too. I may fire it up once every 6 months or so...

Basically, if the major version number changes, then it gets a new 'base' folder...but if it is a Version-dot-number, then it is an 'update' and will overwrite the one already installed. Like 4.0 to 4.5...